U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:16 PM

25,965 posts, read 17,333,154 times

Advertisements

It seems that the military industrial complex has ordered Pres. Obama to bestow yet another Medal of Honor on a living recipient in what seems to be a more aggressive campaign at getting Americans interested in a 10 year long war that many have long ago tuned out.

Hope their marketing campaign works out for them. I doubt it will ultimately make distracted Americans interested in this futile and costly war.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/16/us...-of-honor.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 05:21 PM

12,226 posts, read 12,245,206 times
Did you read what he did? Your comments are disrespectful. I highly doubt you, or many others, would charge into certain death for the chance of saving others. Awarding him with the highest medal the country can bestow is not part of a sham advertising campaign. It's recognizing heroic action -- and guys like this are heroes. Not every service member is a "hero" by virtue of simply being there -- people who charge into danger -- against orders in this man's case -- to save lives are heroes. Period.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:26 PM

25,371 posts, read 15,138,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It seems that the military industrial complex has ordered Pres. Obama to bestow yet another Medal of Honor on a living recipient in what seems to be a more aggressive campaign at getting Americans interested in a 10 year long war that many have long ago tuned out.

Hope their marketing campaign works out for them. I doubt it will ultimately make distracted Americans interested in this futile and costly war.

Truely a shameful and disgraceful post. So YOU disagree that the man displayed heroism and should not recieve the Medal of Honor? Absolutely shameful.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:26 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,822,259 times
President Obama awarded the Medal of Honor on Thursday to a young former Marine who ignored orders to stay put and fought his way five times into an ambush in an Afghan ravine, helping to rescue three dozen comrades and to recover the remains of four dead American servicemen.

That article was awesome. What he did was awesome. What the President did was awesome. It was an article full of awesome.

I don't know how the Op finangled his premise, but I can say, I don't agree with it.
Are you saying that mentioning people dying in a canyon in Afghanistan is somehow appealing and would make someone want to join the service? I find it unappealing as all heck.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:27 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,783,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

After reading what this Marine did, he deserved nothing less than a Medal Of Honor. He actually deserves National praise. Shame on you for trying to make this political.

This man is a hero in every sense. Hell, I don't need to try and explain it to you if you don't understand it already.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:29 PM

I didn't disrespect this Marine one bit, so you can take your misplaced outrage and stuff it. There are countless stories of heroism and bravery that have happened every day and the truth is, these medals are often unfairly awarded anyway. There have been plenty of brave actions on the battlefield like this, and there has also been a renewed interest in awarding these medals as of late. I hope they give more of them out. Surely more people deserve them.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Truely a shameful and disgraceful post. So YOU disagree that the man displayed heroism and should not recieve the Medal of Honor? Absolutely shameful.
Concern troll.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
After reading what this Marine did, he deserved nothing less than a Medal Of Honor. He actually deserves National praise. Shame on you for trying to make this political.

This man is a hero in every sense. Hell, I don't need to try and explain it to you if you don't understand it already.
War gives us a sense of purpose. Shame on anyone who dares question how and why it is conducted.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
President Obama awarded the Medal of Honor on Thursday to a young former Marine who ignored orders to stay put and fought his way five times into an ambush in an Afghan ravine, helping to rescue three dozen comrades and to recover the remains of four dead American servicemen.

That article was awesome. What he did was awesome. What the President did was awesome. It was an article full of awesome.

I don't know how the Op finangled his premise, but I can say, I don't agree with it.
Are you saying that mentioning people dying in a canyon in Afghanistan is somehow appealing and would make someone want to join the service? I find it unappealing as all heck.
Rally round the flag boys!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 PM

12,226 posts, read 12,245,206 times
"In the course of six hours, survivors said, Corporal Meyer and his driver led five fights into the ravine toward Ganjigal. Four times they helped recover wounded men, first Afghans who were pinned down and later Americans similarly trapped."

How can anyone read that and not just feel a sense of awe? Obviously somone who tries to score some cheap political points off of this has never been anywhere near combat.

Seriously, Odanny, you should be ashamed of yourself. This guy was 21-years-old, and he made the decision to die -- and if you have listened to the interviews that's exactly what he did .. he decided to sacrifice himself because in that ravine certain death was waiting -- because the guys he headed into rescue would have a better chance of life with his support. I guess he figured his life wasn't worth living if he didn't use it to at least give his comrades a fighting chance. It gives me goose bumps even thinking about it. He deserves every single honor we can give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies