Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:17 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,221,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't know but I'll bet that Boeing looked into that area before building in South Carolina. I would hope they did, anyway, not just build someplace where right to work exists. I bet they think they can make more in SC and, afterall, money talks in situations like this.

I would have been satisfied if Boeing had built the new plant in the Wichita, Ks. area since they already have a big one there and we are a right to work state.
Sometimes the more rural or less populated areas win these projects. In the 1990s North Carolina was pitching a site that straddles the boundary of the Piedmont Triad metro (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) and the Triangle metro (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) to BMW and Mercedes. Ultimately Mercedes chose rural Alabama to build its automobile plant and BMW chose less populated Spartanburg, SC. Today a huge Tanger outlet mall sits on that site between Greensboro and Raleigh. I agree its all about the money in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,298 times
How is it even possible that employees (using a government proxy) can dictate where a company decides to build a plant?

Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
How is it even possible that employees (using a government proxy) can dictate where a company decides to build a plant?
Obama makes it possible.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:30 PM

59,018 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
How is the result of a survey at all relevant to the legal question before the NLRB?
How is anything relevant to the NLRB who's members are ALL recess appointees by Obama and ALL are pro-union?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 PM

59,018 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Sorry, kids. This is serious business. Either Boeing survives or the US loses another of our dwindling areas of design and manufacturing leadership. Airbus and now Honda want in -- and let me assure you all, Honda plays for keeps. Stiflng Boeing's competitiveness at this critical juncture would cripple them. This is simply much too steep a price to pay so that a union of overpaid machinists in Seattle can continue to live high on the hog, and an increasingly venal and small-minded President can reward another thuggish constituency.
I wonder what the NLRB would do if Boeing announce it was working to MOVE it's entire operation, lock, stock and barrel out of Wash.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:36 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,085,436 times
Quote:
Which of Boeing's planes does Lockheed build? I am still playing. Are you?
Do you really think Lockheed and Boeing don't team up on things?

Boeing: History -- Products - Lockheed Martin/Boeing F-22 Raptor

Old 09-16-2011, 03:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I wonder what the NLRB would do if Boeing announce it was working to MOVE it's entire operation, lock, stock and barrel out of Wash.
Since my US home is in Washington, I would certainly hope that that would never happen. Boeing is crucial to the Puget Sound area, and Washington's economy in general. I do not want unions to go away. They serve a valuable function in the areas of workers' rights. But the time is long past when wokers in industries like aircraft manufacturing were subjectto any particularly onerous rules or conditions.

Bottom line: the 787 MUST be a success and Boeing MUST be permitted to fulfill its contract obligations to ordering airlines. The Obama administration sees this as just another zero-sum political shell game where they rig it so that their side wins and the other side loses. The problem with that kind of thinking is that "the other side" in this equation is not just Boeing and a bunch of (presumably) Republican management types. It's the entire domestic airline industry in the United States. Are we really ready to sacrifice yet another critical sector of our economy on the altar of political partisanship?

Old 09-16-2011, 05:11 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,209 times
Quote:
When you folks talk about the huge majority of votes Obama won with I never know whether you mean popular or electoral. The two majorities were very different and the popular one, the one you folks prefer, just wasn't very close to the majority on this poll.
What kind of 'folk' am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
So 64% is a "small majority." Ok. But, according to many Obama supporters on this forum, 53% is considered a "landslide" when it comes to their guy being elected.
Ok. So they are wrong too

Old 09-16-2011, 06:06 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,085,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
What kind of 'folk' am I?
He did not single you out....he said "folks."

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Ok. So they are wrong too
So then you should ALSO be telling the person he is quoting they are wrong....

Old 09-16-2011, 06:16 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,236 times
Yeledaf is absolutely correct; as Boeing's CEO pointed out in an editorial in the WSJ recently, 18 of thdeir 34 plants are in RTW states, while 16 are in forced-unionization states.

The only people who should decide where Boeing, Caterpillar, or any other company builds their plants should be the CEO and their various administrators.

It's extremely hypocritical for Democrats to whine about outsourcing when extremely well-respected companies such as Boeing are harrassed like this.

Of course, when job-killing and middle-class decimating entities such as environmentalists and trial lawyers are permitted to run roughshod over everybody else at the expense of our manufacturing base, outsourcing is all that's left, although none of the Krugmanites out there will ever admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies