Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:33 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

Ugh.

I think he further perpetuates the issue of race in a time when clearly the issue is one of education and income regardless of race. At least imHo.

Stanford law professor argues black women should cross race barrier for marriage partners - San Jose Mercury News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ugh.

I think he further perpetuates the issue of race in a time when clearly the issue is one of education and income regardless of race. At least imHo.

Stanford law professor argues black women should cross race barrier for marriage partners - San Jose Mercury News
* Agreed .. Marry who makes you happy, loves you, and if it matters (has similar achievement) .. regardless of race.

The issue is education/income as you state..
Just some clown looking for attention and to promote his book via something controversial. As a successful African American male, I found it hilarious.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:01 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
I agree, but there is also reality where people ignore that(and reality where people ignore that race is a social construct rather than a biological trait)

Read "From Fly-girls to ******* and Hos" by Joan Morgan (an educated black woman, former editor of Essence). She posits that it is the plight/job of black women to make up for the shortcomings of black men in their relationships rather than work to improve the same males. The idea of an interracial relationship is completely ignored by the piece(and the idea of The Man[being The White Man] being an antagonist is mentioned). What Banks is stating publicly is radical because of his race. I doubt it will be taken well by vocal black leaders(such as Jesse Jackson).

Anyways, voters in the state voted down a proposition to make the state color blind. In this state, which has a decidedly Democratic lean, that indicates that the idea of race still is prominent in people's decision making and that the government should act accordingly.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ugh.

Yes, and unfortunately, when it comes to marrying someone affluent and educated, black women should look outside their race.

I've read a few articles about how successful black women have difficulties finding similarly situated black men. Dunno if there is statistical support, or if it was just sensationalistic journalism.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Yes, and unfortunately, when it comes to marrying someone affluent and educated, black women should look outside their race.

I've read a few articles about how successful black women have difficulties finding similarly situated black men. Dunno if there is statistical support, or if it was just sensationalistic journalism.
Maybe you should read the ones about how successful black men have difficulties finding similarly situated black women .. They are d*m near impossible to find in the valley ... That being said, I don't lower my standards just because someone is of the same race... People have standards and they should apply them no matter what race and feel free to date whatever race they want ...

That's the take home.. Encouraging someone to date/marry outside their race is just as garbage as encouraging someone to date/marry within their race.. Date/marry who makes you happy, loves you, and meets your standards... End of story.. No need for a 500 page book of foolishness bashing African American men.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:37 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,004 times
What is this...........I don't even. And some rep love for Monty.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I agree, but there is also reality where people ignore that(and reality where people ignore that race is a social construct rather than a biological trait)

Read "From Fly-girls to ******* and Hos" by Joan Morgan (an educated black woman, former editor of Essence). She posits that it is the plight/job of black women to make up for the shortcomings of black men in their relationships rather than work to improve the same males. The idea of an interracial relationship is completely ignored by the piece(and the idea of The Man[being The White Man] being an antagonist is mentioned). What Banks is stating publicly is radical because of his race. I doubt it will be taken well by vocal black leaders(such as Jesse Jackson).
Simply solution .. Have standards A .. if a man doesn't meet those standards.... don't date em.. If you do, and your quality of life suffers from it, don't go B*tching about how your plight was due to the idiot black guy you dated.. You decided to date/marry him. As much as these 'educated' black women love to write such pieces, Some of them sure love to date them some 'thugs'... THey are not going to change .. .. Some such women are 'so educated' yet date/marry trash... Their plight is themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Anyways, voters in the state voted down a proposition to make the state color blind. In this state, which has a decidedly Democratic lean, that indicates that the idea of race still is prominent in people's decision making and that the government should act accordingly.
Have no clue what you are referring to or how this relates to the topic in the thread.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 09-15-2011 at 09:49 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,004 times
Quote:

Are you lonely, are you looking for some extra attention with this post?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:47 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post

Are you lonely, are you looking for some extra attention with this post?
I hate to break it to you, but black men don't particularly excel in things like staying out of prison and graduating from college.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but black men don't particularly excel in things like staying out of prison and graduating from college.

Oh wow .. Wow !!!! Angry black woman? LOL
Educated black guy here w/ a masters degree from one of the top universities in America doing quite well in the valley ....
I've dated people from many ethnic group and would have no problem dating a black woman if she met my standards...

No reason for me to bash on them ... Have standards 'A' .. apply them .. regardless of race.. Date whoever you want..

Your comment ...

Bwahahhaa, that just made my day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies