U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:10 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,203,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Americans are sitting and wining that they do not understand accents and therefore cannot learn their own language while being raised in an English speaking country, while Chinese learn English in China come to America and take their jobs. Ha!
Yes and the Asians are a lot smarter than Americans when it comes to Math and Science too.

One of the reasons kids can't read is due to the fact that phonics is no longer taught in the early grades like it use to be so kids aren't taught the tools they need to be able to sound out words. It makes reading a lot tougher when you encounter a new word and can't even figure out how to sound it out. It used to be that a typical high school graduate would have a working vocabulary of 24,000 words. Now kids graduate from high school with a working vocabulary of only 1600 words. But this is all part of the elites plan of their deliberate dumbing down of America. An intelligent general public that can read, think analyze is a lot harder to control, brainwash and steal from. Go to www.deliberatedumbingdown.com if you want the particulars.

Last edited by emilybh; 09-16-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 AM

24,657 posts, read 38,136,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I had enough trouble trying to figure out what my teacher's from India were saying in engineering school in college. I could only imagine a child trying to learn the language and proper grammer from a teacher who speaks broken english. Not to mention the state was following federal law to begin with but that isn't good enough because according to the DOJ it violates another federal law.
Yeah, I see what you mean.............

Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 AM

2,674 posts, read 3,197,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I've actually got an acquaintance who failed biology in HS, went to college and graduated as an education major....now she teaches....biology!
Then she apparently passed multiple bio science classes in college, along with the required chemistry courses, and she passed the teacher certification exam that shows she can teach life sciences.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,663,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, most kids can read, and those that can't generally get extra help.
That is not entirely accurate. I was a public school teacher prior to getting laid off. I had students who couldn't read. Before a child can get extra help, the teacher has to keep records of interventions used. Then, if those don't work, then, a meeting is scheduled, often months later. Then, at the meeting, the parent signs a paper to give permission for special education testing. The special education testing usually occurs months after the meeting. By now, it is the end of the school year and the teacher typically finds out the child qualifies for special education services, but the child has missed at least 5 months to an entire school year of the help he or she so desperately needed.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:21 AM

56,207 posts, read 25,204,432 times
My son came home from his first day in the 9th grade and asked if he could change teachers.
( we had been stressing the importance of getting a good education)

We asked him, why? He responded, "because my teacher is dumb". He said, she said, "you ain't got no...", and she was his ENGLISH teacher.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:28 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,176,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Teachers should speak English properly. That's not what the story is about. Some right wingers want to ban anyone who has an accent, however slight it is from teaching. You can be fluent in a language and still have an accent. You can even have an accent and be capable of proper pronunciation.
This.

I went to several schools where my teachers had heavy accents, or English wasn't their first language.

I read just fine.

Do you know why?

My parents. They took the extra initiative to make sure we read books and sat down with me to do my homework. They even proof read my reports to make sure the grammar and spelling were correct ( seeing as there was no such thing a spell check on a typewriter)

Old 09-16-2011, 11:33 AM

5,872 posts, read 7,956,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Then she apparently passed multiple bio science classes in college, along with the required chemistry courses, and she passed the teacher certification exam that shows she can teach life sciences.

Oh you! You just have to go an ruin a good "whopper" of a tale w/ your facts and stuff. Come on...it was just getting good!!! LOL!

Old 09-16-2011, 11:40 AM

38,932 posts, read 25,376,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I had enough trouble trying to figure out what my teacher's from India were saying in engineering school in college. I could only imagine a child trying to learn the language and proper grammer from a teacher who speaks broken english. Not to mention the state was following federal law to begin with but that isn't good enough because according to the DOJ it violates another federal law.
I can relate. One thing about engineering school...they don't give you passing grades just so yo feel good about yourself. Our entire ME class took the same exams for Thermodynamics. The class that had the english as a first language professor finished better than 20 points above the other two.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:22 PM

5,747 posts, read 11,882,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
It used to be that a typical high school graduate would have a working vocabulary of 24,000 words. Now kids graduate from high school with a working vocabulary of only 1600 words.
You might find this research interesting...

The Early Catastrophe

Quote:
...the problem of skill differences among children at the time of school entry is bigger, more intractable, and more important than we had thought.
The research lends credence to the contention that it is impossible for even the best teacher to bolster the working vocabulary of a student from a language-deficient home in a significant way. This is not a curriculum problem; it's a socio-economic problem.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM

22,232 posts, read 17,569,598 times
More likely due to the GOP success at trying to return to the days of "school marms".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies