Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Bureaucracy is death!
Actually, lack of health care is death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:26 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I'm a centrist right independent
That doesn't preclude your opinions from being judged negatively.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I'm a centrist right independent, I'm not a liberal. No, many don't die in the streets, they die at home or in a facility because many never had the proper treatment in the first place. Our system is so convoluted it needs serious fixing and streamlining.

To fix it, very large groups need to be created, states need to unite with the federal government to control and I mean call the shots with these insurance carriers what they will do and what they can not do. Prices for pharmaceuticals will be negotiated like they should have been years ago. There needs to be a basic one-payer plan for all Americans and supplemental private insurance regulated by the states under federal oversite. If these insurance companies don't like it they can set up shop in Brazil instead. Those who stay along with the others who take the place of those who split or are insuring cars instead will do just fine in profits. VA, Medicare and Madicaid will be eliminated. Our goods and services will be much more competitive in the global markets.

People will not die because of a lack of care. Small business can start making profits. Folks can now move on to better jobs because they are not hammered down with a dead-end job because of insurance which is ridiculous in the first place. Another words people will become healthier and believe it or not freer. And one other thing if a state screws it up people will vote with their feet if not the lever. If the fed really screws it up and because this would effect so many people at one time, not devied up like it is now, their ass will certainly hear about in a extremely fast manner. People will be voted out in very quick order from both parties.
"People will not die because of a lack of care."

"(Reuters) - The U.S. healthcare reform law will worsen a shortage of physicians as millions of newly insured patients seek care, the Association of American Medical Colleges said on Thursday."

"The AAMC projected a shortage of 33,100 physicians in specialties such as cardiology, oncology and emergency medicine in 2015."

Health reform to worsen doctor shortage: group | Reuters

Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So you think a population that's over 65% overweight has no bearing on the cost of the health system? We're so unhealthy that they had to create a new type of diabetes for people who cause it unto themselves thanks to unhealthy habits.

Maybe I should make a graph showing that fat countries tend to have higher costs and then proclaim that I'm the victor of the argument like you did.
What I'm saying is that while that may be a factor, a much larger factor is the difference in health care systems. One system has universal coverage and the other doesn't provide coverage for a fifth of the nation. I would contend that this is the major factor.

You are free to provide whatever evidence you prefer.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
IMHO - The private sector and health care are completely incompatable. Health care is a service best delivered by a monopoly and that monopoly is best owned by the government.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Here is my idea of health care. Let me know what you think:

Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Government is the problem, not the solution to health care.

FIRST POINT: There is no "right" to healthcare if government requires permission (licensing) and criminalizes the unlicensed practice.
SECOND POINT: Greed was behind the push for licensing, not incompetence. Licensing created scarcity and boosted income of physicians.
THIRD POINT: Allopathic medicine was accorded the monopoly over dispensing potent medicines, and other schools of medicine were driven out or downgraded as "quackery".
FOURTH POINT: Inflated costs are directly attributed to government - abusive tort laws, monetary debasement, taxation, not to forget to mention that you cannot buy medicine without permission (prescription) bought from a government licensed person. And you can only buy it from another government licensed person, who buys his stock from other licensed entities.

If you wish UNIVERSAL and affordable health care, you must get the government out of the way, and let the free market operate.
Wait, your solution is to get rid of licensing? Seriously?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Wait, your solution is to get rid of licensing? Seriously?
Government licensing?

How about private licensing?

Need a birth certificate?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:34 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Here is my idea of health care. Let me know what you think:

While there are a tragic number of americans killing themselves through unhealthy lifestyles, a great many people suffer from medical conditions unrelated to their lifestyle. My brother has Tuberous Sclerosis, is mentally retarded, and requires significant medical care. He isn't going to be cured by ignorance.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-16-2011 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 09-16-2011, 09:34 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO - The private sector and health care are completely incompatable. Health care is a service best delivered by a monopoly and that monopoly is best owned by the government.
Very convincing argument. Care to explain why health care is best under a monopoly, as opposed to um, any other service provided?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies