Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:55 PM

22 posts, read 11,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I don't care if he has Aspergers. He sounds like a weird f*** and should have all cyber privileges revoked for a couple years.
I absolutely agree this is offensive, insensitive and controversial.

That said, free speech is not to protect speech that is innocuous it is to protect peoples right to express ideas and thoughts that are by definition contentious and controversial. I don't know what point this man was trying to make or even if he had a point.

My point though is when we begin allowing government to pick and choose what are legal thoughts, ideas and/or words to express we have pretty much given up free speech altogether.

We no longer have free speech, we have government regulated speech. Government regulated speech that in this incidence led to incarceration.

Do we really trust politicians with the power to put us in cages based upon what we say?

I absolutely agree the forum had the right to censor or ban this man. The family of this young lady even has the right to take this man to civil court for defamation of character or slander although, yes I can see it may be a hard and expensive argument to make.

However I truly ask those who agree with the actions of the U.K. government against this man to think through the gut response - justified emotional revulsion for vile actions - to the real ramifications of such state powers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
You have to ask? I would even expect more of you! Does this young woman not have a family?
But it isn't bullying...

Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,323,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshRox01 View Post
However I truly ask those who agree with the actions of the U.K. government against this man to think through the gut response - justified emotional revulsion for vile actions - to the real ramifications of such state powers.
You make a good argument and I also worry about the ever-increasing power of the government in our lives. And it's a difficult call, because I also agree with Ceece that Aspergers and the Internet isn't always a good combo.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Yep;disgusting behaviour; but the civil court would have been better used. Britain has pretty well abondon freedom of speech and trunhed to making speech criminal instead of civl penalties if abuse under laws.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:28 AM

4 posts, read 5,479 times
LOL @ the UK don't they even have a 1st amendment?

Old 09-17-2011, 10:30 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
No matter how one looks at this, is just wrong and so disrespectful, to the family. I know people who do have aspergers syndrome. They cannot do a lot of things, but i have learned they are smart people. Some of the things that we take for granted easy things they cannot do.

But i learned they are bright. Asperger's or not, a person has a sense of right and wrong, and this is so hurtful and disrespectful. The loss of this family's child, with a suicide is much to handle. Then when someone writes hurtful terrible things as this man has done. Gets to one's Soul you know, this is hard to handle. We cannot make excuses.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:36 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i really dislike that country
Any particular reason why?

Old 09-17-2011, 01:58 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,990,710 times
Only in the UK.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
As she was already dead,how was this bullying?
Her ghost would be afraid to return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
You have to ask? I would even expect more of you! Does this young woman not have a family?
Apparently a dysfunctional one that didn't give a damn until after she was dead.

Does that count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
Any particular reason why?
They put vinegar on their potatoe chips.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,853,744 times
anyone look at this D-bag? wow he only wished he could have attracted a girl like this.

give him a bridge he can live under and the world will be a happier place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies