Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
He IS the POTUS DC, and he may even be elected again. Whatever you think or believe...nobody who matters cares. Obsessive forum posts and the posse aren't going to change that. It either means you alone have the truth, or you are wrong. Hmm..
They only believe it's Democracy when they are in charge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Perhaps we should send a posse to find Sheriff Joe's brain, it appears as though he lost it in the desert.
Never find it, as it burned off long ago.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:46 AM

26,562 posts, read 14,432,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
What? Another cognitive dissonance thread?
yes!

... and that's what i find so fascinating about the birther madness. the ability to disregard what will logically happen and believe all/only things that support the theory of how they wish things would happen.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:20 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,824,896 times
“My assumption and my understanding is that if you are born of American parents, you are naturally a natural-born American citizen,” Chertoff replied.

“That is mine, too,” said Leahy.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:21 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
“My assumption and my understanding is that if you are born of American parents, you are naturally a natural-born American citizen,” Chertoff replied.

"So what, " said Strel.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:29 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,824,896 times
“Additions might always be made to the citizenship of the United States in two ways: first, by birth, and second, by naturalization. This is apparent from the Constitution itself, for it provides that ‘No person except a natural-born citizen or a citizen of the United States at the time of the adoption of the Constitution shall be eligible to the office of President,’ …

“The Constitution does not in words say who shall be natural-born citizens. Resort must be had elsewhere to ascertain that.

At common law, with the nomenclature of which the framers of the Constitution were familiar, it was never doubted that all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also.

These were natives or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners.

Some authorities go further and include as citizens [not natural born citizens; ed.] children born within the jurisdiction without reference to the citizenship of their parents.

As to this class there have been doubts, but never as to the first.

For the purposes of this case, it is not necessary to solve these doubts. It is sufficient for everything we have now to consider that all children born of citizen parents within the jurisdiction are themselves citizens."

Minor v Happersett

This definition is Law. This definition mirrors Vattel in chapter 19 of the Law of Nations, which the Supreme Court wrote has been a part of our laws for over 200 years.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:29 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Quote:

They both assumed in error if the birth occurs outside the US. You will be a "US Citizen born abroad" and have a certificate stating such, even if both parents are US citizens. And you will not be eligible to be president.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:

they weren't giving an exclusive definition.

“My assumption and my understanding is that Mexican is a type of food.” Chertoff replied.

under your reasoning Italian, Chinese, Thai, French etc cease to be types of food.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
.... even if both parents are US citizens. And you will not be eligible to be president.
obviously 2008 congress felt differently about that. also that's an opinion that has yet to be supported by any congressman, judge, law professor or constitutional scholar.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
“Additions might.....".
are you ever going to address your depth of cognitive dissonance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies