U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should the tax rate increase on people earning $1 million+ per year?
Yes 98 61.25%
No 62 38.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2011, 04:59 PM
 
24,251 posts, read 25,958,680 times
Reputation: 19573

Advertisements

This is a great idea! I know a lot of moderates who think $250,000 is too low of an income to increase taxes. However, I think any reasonable person would agree to increasing taxes on people who make $1 million or more per year. I doubt Republicans will be okay with this, but I'm sure the majority of independents will support this idea.

Do you support it and why?

---
This should be on major media websites soon. It's a breaking alert sent from CNBC to my phone.

UPDATE LINK:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44563268

Last edited by bmw335xi; 09-17-2011 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2011, 05:03 PM
 
29,984 posts, read 42,253,400 times
Reputation: 12821
This thread is meaningless without a link.

Tax increases are meaningless unless the tax base is broadened (jobs and tax reform to consumption tax instead of income tax). You can take the entire wealth of every multi-millionare and billionare in this country and it won't pay off our debt. Obama cannot tax us into prosperity. Have you not seen all the new taxes on the average American in his new "jobs plan"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 05:11 PM
 
9,391 posts, read 11,694,871 times
Reputation: 12406
I support it to an extent, if true. I support it if the govt doesn't see it as a way to increase spending, raise debt, come up with more expensive programs, etc. If used to help dig us out of this hole, I'm all for it. But knowing how our great gov't works, it won't solve a damn thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 05:11 PM
 
24,251 posts, read 25,958,680 times
Reputation: 19573
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This thread is meaningless without a link.

Tax increases are meaningless unless the tax base is broadened (jobs and tax reform to consumption tax instead of income tax). You can take the entire wealth of every multi-millionare and billionare in this country and it won't pay off our debt. Obama cannot tax us into prosperity. Have you not seen all the new taxes on the average American in his new "jobs plan"?
1. Actually more than 50% of the cost to his jobs plan is tax cuts for small businesses and the average employee, which would be paid for by allowing the Bush Tax Cuts on the wealthy expire.

2. You can't cut us into prosperity. Countries such as Canada and Australia are doing 1000x better than the United States and both have much higher taxes on the wealthy.

3. If you are serious about cutting our deficit, you can't just cut your way out of it. You have to cut spending and increase revenue. We spent a decade fighting two wars during a time when taxes were cut, the first time in our country's history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
21,911 posts, read 23,420,878 times
Reputation: 19416
Great, more money to waste on junk and invading 3-6th world countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 05:14 PM
 
24,251 posts, read 25,958,680 times
Reputation: 19573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I support it to an extent, if true. I support it if the govt doesn't see it as a way to increase spending, raise debt, come up with more expensive programs, etc. If used to help dig us out of this hole, I'm all for it. But knowing how our great gov't works, it won't solve a damn thing.
The story is still developing on CNBC, "Obama to propose a 'Buffet Tax' on people earning more than $1 million a year (story developing)"

You'll see it probably in a couple hours on CNN, FOX etc. Once it develops into an article I'll post it here if I can still use the edit feature.

I think the Super Committee should pass a tax hike on people making $1 million or more and cut spending by another $2 trillion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
22,232 posts, read 17,518,527 times
Reputation: 4585
Grover Norquist will never allow it. But here is a link.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/us...ires.html?_r=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 05:15 PM
 
29,409 posts, read 21,586,523 times
Reputation: 5450
Why not tax em until they leave?? Yeah that's the ticket. Get those evil rich people outta the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 05:15 PM
 
24,251 posts, read 25,958,680 times
Reputation: 19573
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Grover Norquist will never allow it.
What's funny though is Norquist during the debt ceiling debate said, "allowing the bush tax cuts to expire would not be a tax increase and would not break my pledge"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 05:16 PM
 
25,628 posts, read 14,091,903 times
Reputation: 11132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
This is a great idea! I know a lot of moderates who think $250,000 is too low of an income to increase taxes. However, I think any reasonable person would agree to increasing taxes on people who make $1 million or more per year. I doubt Republicans will be okay with this, but I'm sure the majority of independents will support this idea.

Do you support it and why?

---
This should be on major media websites soon. It's a breaking alert sent from CNBC to my phone.


You drive a BMW335xi and I only have an 11 year old 328i so you should pay more.

Ready to pony up?

BMW335xi-
"I think the Super Committee should pass a tax hike on people making $1 million or more and cut spending by another $2 trillion."


Do you really think that tax on those over $1 Million is going to make up even remotely close to $2 Trillion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top