Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

I think the question is really, "Is Solyndra the tip of the iceberg?" and I'm not talking about illegal or unethical things by the Obama administration but a judgment mistake by his administration for putting so many eggs in the solar industry basket. Maybe the real lesson in Solyndra again has to do with a President with no executive experience, and advised by academics, making an idealistic mistake about "solar power" and getting a duped American public, who want to believe, to go along with it.

I read an article in one of my newspapers today about how the solar power industry, an industry that was heavily touted in my state of Tennessee with words and government megabucks, may be on life support now.

"Hemlock Clarksville and a similar plant that Wacker Chemie AG is building near Cleveland, Tenn., are supposed to be the first steps toward the development of a vibrant solar industry in Tennessee, one in which solar panels and all of their components could be made within the state. But the odds that will happen in the near future are slim, despite the tens of millions the state has committed toward the solar industry’s success. Prices have plummeted for the material that Hemlock and Wacker make, polycrystalline silicon, and its customer base has started to shift from American solar firms to those located overseas, particularly in China."

TN's solar industry faces clouded future | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

The article goes on to say why the solar energy industry may not be all it's cracked up to be. I don't believe the article is political.

I know everyone is looking at Solyndra as some kind of ethical or illegal activity by the Obama administration, and that may be true, but how about a bigger picture look at the issue of solar power as the great jobs creator. Is it a rookie mistake by an inexperienced executive in the White House and are the Republicans just as willing to go down the same road by electing an "ideas person" with no real executive experience as their next president? You know, just because the ideology is different doesn't mean a rookie in the White House won't be prone to the same kind of mistakes - big ideas not grounded in the reality of implementation.

I realize the American public is loathe to admit they may have been duped on the industry potential of solar power as the great jobs creator because they so badly want to believe in jobs from new industries but c'mon, let's look at some of these other "green jobs ideas" before good money is chasing after bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 08:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
China overtook us in solar panel production some time ago.
While everyone was touting "green jobs" without actually creating jobs, China got busy with factories producing solar panels for much less than what can be produced and sold in the US.

Why didn't the business leaders see this ?
Well, maybe because green jobs is our future and there's no Plan B.

This article goes back to January 2010 with how China is taking the lead in renewable energy production (solar, wind). People just weren't paying attention.

China Is Leading the Race to Make Renewable Energy - NYTimes.com

Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
I heard an employee (former now of course) say on the radio that they knew the competition from China had them beat even as they began construction on new facilities but continued anyway.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:25 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I'm thinking of college students and their majors, too.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm thinking of college students and their majors, too.
They didn't do much as far as "green" college majors or any actual 'new' jobs. But they sure got plenty of government money.

And now an "engineer" can be a "green engineer" with no change in courses.

The American people got duped.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Default Even the Chicago Tribune calls this "The Chicago Way" of corruption

Yes, Solyndra is the tip of the iceberg. LightSquared is even larger. Fast & Furious......the list is long and just beginning to surface.

This administration is the most corrupt since FDR. Even the Chicago Trubune is calling Obama's Solyndra the tip of "The Chicago Way"! Now, when the Chicago Tribune, a decidely liberal publication, warns how crooked Obama is will this country finally pay attention?

Barack Obama's Solyndra scandal smells like it came from Chicago's City Hall - chicagotribune.com

Quote:
So forget optics. What about smell? It smells bad, and it's going to smell worse.

Or, did you really believe it when the White House mouthpieces — who are also Chicago City Hall mouthpieces — promised they were bringing a new kind of politics to Washington?

This is not a new kind of politics. It's the old kind. The Chicago kind.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:15 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes, Solyndra is the tip of the iceberg. LightSquared is even larger. Fast & Furious......the list is long and just beginning to surface.

This administration is the most corrupt since FDR. Even the Chicago Trubune is calling Obama's Solyndra the tip of "The Chicago Way"! Now, when the Chicago Tribune, a decidely liberal publication, warns how crooked Obama is will this country finally pay attention?

Barack Obama's Solyndra scandal smells like it came from Chicago's City Hall - chicagotribune.com
Hopefully now people will be a lot more careful about electing people as president from Illinois, especially if they are connected to Chicago

Old 09-18-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Hopefully now people will be a lot more careful about electing people as president from Illinois, especially if they are connected to Chicago

Both POTUSs from Illinois have made a mockery of our Constitution.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
This administration is all about bribes and kickbacks.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
This administration is all about bribes and kickbacks.
It is........" The Chicago Way"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies