Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Nice picture, but did you actually read anything on that site? No? Well you should have, because it doesn't entirely support your position.

We, Cliff Harris and Randy Mann, believe that the warming and even the cooling of global temperatures are the result of long-term climatic cycles, solar activity, sea-surface temperature patterns and more. However, Mankind’s activities of the burning of fossil fuels, massive deforestations, the replacing of grassy surfaces with asphalt and concrete, the ‘Urban Heat Island Effect,’ are making conditions ‘worse’ and this will ultimately enhance the Earth’s warming process down the meteorological roadway in the next several decades.
They believe, great... I don't care what they believe, I care what they can establish through proper scientific means. Not only does that mean they should support the position of cooling oceans as they claim, BUT also support their position of the latter claims of a warming process.

If they can do neither, then... well... their "belief" is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
You are not very observant are you? nei posted it... http://www.clamer.eu/images/stories/...2011-06-27.pdf
That is a summary (and poor one at that), not research. It contains no proper citation or listing of its data. You do remember the problem with the IPCC using grey literature do you not? Where they cited over 5000 references to peer reviewed research and then it turned out to be random claims pulled from activist site pamphlets and random speculative conversations and interviews?

Sorry, try again.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:58 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That is a summary (and poor one at that), not research. It contains no proper citation or listing of its data. You do remember the problem with the IPCC using grey literature do you not? Where they cited over 5000 references to peer reviewed research and then it turned out to be random claims pulled from activist site pamphlets and random speculative conversations and interviews?

Sorry, try again.
I thought I made it plain to you that what you or I believe does not matter...The earth will do whatever, and there is nothing either of us can do that will effect it. I suppose that with you that is not what this discussion is about though....It is about your need to be right isn't it.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I thought I made it plain to you that what you or I believe does not matter...The earth will do whatever, and there is nothing either of us can do that will effect it. I suppose that with you that is not what this discussion is about though....It is about your need to be right isn't it.
Sure, the climate will do whatever, the problem is you claiming it will do one thing or another when it is not properly supported.

Maybe you should realize that there is a political war going on with this issue and that many are proclaiming things they can not validate. So when you come in and start spouting off about issues with climate to which are not properly supported and then go on to predict a trend that can not be properly established, you might get a bit of a backlash? Especially considering the conclusion of this issue has major repercussions in society? There is a lot more on the line than a simple disagreement.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Are you really that ignorant?
The name calling is obnoxious and extremely immature. You ignored my points and responded with condescension.

Quote:

Look at the middle of the chart....
mid·dle (mdl)adj.
Equally distant from extremes or limits; central: the middle point on a line.
2. Being at neither one extreme nor the other; intermediate.
So what, your point is? As I said there is no scale. The vertical axis has no numbers! The positions in the chart could mean anything without numbers on the scale. You must have noticed that, and you put putting the chart up because it fits your belief.

Quote:
Another hint since you appear to be incapable of research:

Global Temperature Trends Since 2500 B.C.
Can you read? Because you didn't read my post. I said there was no indication of how they made the chart on the website. I found your link within a minute of going through the site before my first post.

Next time, don't tell me I didn't find what I already found.

Quote:
Use this phrase (located at the bottom of the chart I posted) "Global temperature chart was complied by Climatologist Cliff Harris"
Yes, I saw that phrase. But from where? How? There are no details, mentions of scientific publications. That was what I meant in the original post. I think you knew that, but are descending into name calling as an attempt to push your points.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes, I saw that phrase. But from where? How? There are no details, mentions of scientific publications. That was what I meant in the original post. I think you knew that, but are descending into name calling as an attempt to push your points.
Your double standard is well taken, now apply the same rules to to the chart you posted in #194....

Works both ways chum

Last edited by plwhit; 09-21-2011 at 09:17 AM..

Old 09-21-2011, 09:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Your double standard is well taken, now apply the same rules to to the chart you posted in #194....

Works both ways chum
My chart has:

1. A scale with numbers on the axis
2. A well-documented source where they show where their data comes from (since you can do internet research, I'll let you find it yourself)

It does not have error bars, which I agree is a major flaw of the chart I posted, though the error bars are likely findable, but the makers of the graph unfortunately did post them.

You do not seem concerned with either point 1 or 2 for your own graph that you postedand instead choose to return a personal attack instead of answer my criticisms.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:25 AM

329 posts, read 267,275 times
Quote:
You do remember the problem with the IPCC using grey literature do you not? Where they cited over 5000 references to peer reviewed research and then it turned out to be random claims pulled from activist site pamphlets and random speculative conversations and interviews?

Sorry, try again.
It looks to me like this is a claim pulled from an activist site. Can you prove it?

Old 09-21-2011, 11:00 AM

329 posts, read 267,275 times
Quote:
Now, do this. Go grab the raw data used from those regions and evaluate each station location, their temp values and their relational values.

Then please explain to me how they go about getting the averages for the region that they report.

Or rather, is it possible to obtain the data and methodology for that Analysis?
It's all explained on the GISTEMP website: Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis (GISTEMP)
with links to the papers describing the methods. Data.GISS: Surface Temperature Analysis: References
Why do you ask questions that a couple of seconds on Google would answer for you?

Old 09-21-2011, 11:04 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
The earth will do whatever, and there is nothing either of us can do that will effect it.
Well, by golly, you've finally seen the light.

Climate modeling, which is where all the doomsday predictions come from as NONE of the empirical evidence supports the claim, is fraught with GIGO, assumptions and the tweaking and padding of numbers to suit the result desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies