Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 06:28 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I don't know. He looks like he's pulling down middle five figures -- $50,000 or so -- but he's outraged that people are even suggesting we tax millionaires at a higher rate.

Obama and Democratically controlled lame duck Congress extended these tax cuts for millionaires. Get your own house in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 06:31 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Again, there is zero to substantiate your position. Of course Perry supporters believe he is intelligent despite his lack of educational pedigree. There isn't anything in Perry's positions our statements that make him look less than intelligent. The left needs to understand that a difference of opinion doesn't make the other side stupid.

Of course Buckley's point was the Harvard faculty status does not confer upon them any greater ability to lead than anyone else. And might, in fact be an impediment to them leading.

You are swerving closer to the truth. The right believes in results, not what school a person went to, or the grades the achieved. Despite the lefts lip service about their love for the common man, they certainly manage to heap a great deal of scorn on him.
Rick Perry's smart enough but I don't think he's a genius. His problem isn't his intelligence, it's his intentional playing the "average common man" to appease a base that looks down on education. Then there's Bachmann and Palin who, despite indignant protestations from right wing, are both a few fries short of a happy meal. Yet they are elevated to the level of Right Wing Hero, specifically because they are "average joes."

The right wing's fascination with "average joes" is disturbing. The right wing loves to elevate the "common man" with "wisdom" above those with actual educations. The right wing takes average and ordinary and makes it into something superior to education. I don't believe an Ivy League education automatically bestows leadership ability on someone. There's also nothing wrong being an average joe, hell I am. However I don't pick my leaders based on who I want to have a beer with. The drive, motivation, and smarts it takes to graduate from an Ivy League school tells me something about a person, it may not make them automatically qualified for leadership but they're off to a good start.

It's not about education, it's about a culture and mindset that believes that you should pick your leaders based on who you want to have a beer with. Coming from a good family and having an Ivy League education should be assets. Yet Bush II found it something to overcome. He was out there on the stump in his blue collar shirt, sleeves rolled up speaking all 'Murrican and folksy, pretending to be a regular dude. Then we have Perry, Palin, Bachmann who all purposely project themselves as cowboys or coal miners because they have to. They can't support evolution, science or reason, they must embrace emotion, ignorance, and plainness.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:34 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You are permitted any impression you wish, however it doesn't make that impression correct. Of course no one on the right has indicated having an Ivy League education makes you suspect. See GW Bush.
Yes but did Bush present himself as Northeastern born, elite family bred, Ivy League educated business man? No, he couldn't, he would have been labeled and "elitist" and dismissed instantly, look at Romney. Bush had to present himself as a cowboy, average all American joe, with his blue collar and rolled up sleeves.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I was just reading Maureen Dowd's latest column, and I think she hit the nail square on the head when it comes to the anti-intellectualism of modern conservatism--something that worries me more than other GOP problems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/op...ef=maureendowd

Read on, and enjoy.

Mackinac

I don't get it.

I was a steady GOP voter for decades.

But this current parade of stupidity beats anything I've ever seen.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:53 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I was just reading Maureen Dowd's latest column, and I think she hit the nail square on the head when it comes to the anti-intellectualism of modern conservatism--something that worries me more than other GOP problems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/op...ef=maureendowd

Read on, and enjoy.

Mackinac
I'm more frightened of academics who have confused a college education with intelligence.

Not anti-intellectualism. Rather, no need to pretend to be sooooo smart. When you're really not.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:55 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
The anti-intellectualism of the GOP at large is the main reason I can never be a Republican. Sane and rational candidates like Jon Huntsman can never win the GOP nomination because he refuses to shut his reason and logic off. Saying things like he "trusts science" are big blows to his nomination hopes. Just sad.
You're right. He'll never win the GOP nomination BECAUSE HE'S A LIBERAL.

Hilarious, that you think he trusts science. Not quite. He's fallen for the global warming scam. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

The fact that the media is pushing him so hard just proves that.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:58 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Rick Perry's smart enough but I don't think he's a genius. His problem isn't his intelligence, it's his intentional playing the "average common man" to appease a base that looks down on education. Then there's Bachmann and Palin who, despite indignant protestations from right wing, are both a few fries short of a happy meal. Yet they are elevated to the level of Right Wing Hero, specifically because they are "average joes."
Again, you make assertions with no basis in fact. Again you believe that these folks don't value education, they do. They are however, more inpressed with results then pedigree.

Quote:
The right wing's fascination with "average joes" is disturbing. The right wing loves to elevate the "common man" with "wisdom" above those with actual educations. The right wing takes average and ordinary and makes it into something superior to education. I don't believe an Ivy League education automatically bestows leadership ability on someone. There's also nothing wrong being an average joe, hell I am. However I don't pick my leaders based on who I want to have a beer with. The drive, motivation, and smarts it takes to graduate from an Ivy League school tells me something about a person, it may not make them automatically qualified for leadership but they're off to a good start.

More sophistry, the right wing is concerned first and foremost with results. It is the left that has been making education the cornerstone of their attacks on the right. Rick Perry didn't go to the right schools and his achievement was mediocre. Who cares? People are more concerned, rightly, about what he did as Governor than what his bio grade in sophmore year.

Quote:
It's not about education, it's about a culture and mindset that believes that you should pick your leaders based on who you want to have a beer with. Coming from a good family and having an Ivy League education should be assets. Yet Bush II found it something to overcome. He was out there on the stump in his blue collar shirt, sleeves rolled up speaking all 'Murrican and folksy, pretending to be a regular dude. Then we have Perry, Palin, Bachmann who all purposely project themselves as cowboys or coal miners because they have to. They can't support evolution, science or reason, they must embrace emotion, ignorance, and plainness.

Lol, you suggest Bush's folksy manner was a put on, it most certainly was not. As a guy who had a close up view of the Ive Leagues has a good perspective on what it brings to the table.

More projection on your part, you disagree with their positions, but rather tackle them on merits, you would rather dismiss them as stupid.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:58 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Well I'd probably vote for Romney but I hate sell outs. That's why I have tons of respect for Ron Paul even if I don't always agree with him. You can count on Ron Paul to tell you what he really believes day in and day out. I get the same feel from Huntsman. I'd vote for Romney and Huntsman, but if the nomination is Perry, Bachmann or Palin I'd consider it my patriotic duty to vote for Obama.
And Obama is better how exactly? You won't vote for a staunch conservative but you'd vote for a person who leads from the back of the pack? Makes no sense. Something tells me you wouldn't vote for a conservative if your life depended on it.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:02 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
America needs a leader that barely made it thru high school. A guy ya can sit down with over some Bud Light and discuss sports, guns, and politics. A guy that ya kin go huntin' witt, someone who wears his baseball cap backwards, and wears t-shirts with Jesus motifs.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Yes but did Bush present himself as Northeastern born, elite family bred, Ivy League educated business man? No, he couldn't, he would have been labeled and "elitist" and dismissed instantly, look at Romney. Bush had to present himself as a cowboy, average all American joe, with his blue collar and rolled up sleeves.
He certainly didn't hide his educational background. And he wasn't a north easterner. Bush didn't have to present himself as anything other than he was. Not even his most severe critic has accused him of being a phony, the guy was a cowboy. His father, on the other hand, was and presented himself as, you suggest and he won the nomination twice. Kinda blows a hole in your argument, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies