Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 03:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Please review the Tea Party and TELL me that no such mindset exists. Rick Perry is living proof that it does.

Again, it has little to do with actual achievement in academics, but more with the idea that intelligence and academics really don't matter. They aren't the end all be all, but I certainly don't want to just be governed by anybody, certainly not 2,000 random names from a phone book.
The Tea Party of the Democrat, Independent and Republican parties will pick the best non-Obama candidate they can and mobilize many to do so.
I don't think they care about what this chick writes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 03:19 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well of course this is the smug superiority that turns off may Americans. People like Dowd confuse academic achievement with intelligence. There are many folks who are highly educated who aren't that bright. Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama are two very good examples. Truman who had little formal education and Ronald Reagan who did not have the educational pedigree of most modern Presidents put a lie to Dowd's thesis.
However, I get the impression that in the GOP, having an ivy league degree does make you suspect, while those who were mediocre students or diss book lernin' are put on a pedestal. Occaisionally you get a Truman, but it's not common. Being more educated increases the likelihood of making wise decisions. It's not foolproof, but it's more likely than someone who is not as educated. Sorry, but I see the value in being educated, and having leaders who are highly educated. I don't want someone "just like me" as president of the free world. I am kind of an elitist in that regard.

And I don't look down on people who are un-educated. I look down on people who celebrate the fact that they're uneducated. Big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The presumption of intellectual superiority and the preoccupation with spelling errors is a characteristic of the liberal. The conception of intellectual superiority is taken as a given when one dons the cloak of liberalism, as it has been told to them by thier brethren, regardless of the truth. The pre-occupation with spelling errors in an attempt to assert that "superiority" by showing a command about things that really do not matter- in effect, a master of the obvious.

The concept that one will be a better and more productive citizen by recieving gifts and benefits they did not produce- the basic concept of liberalism, should give pause to the presumption of intellectual prowess. But then again, whoever really believes that liberals are really thinking anyway. It is a movement based in blind emotion; reason and critical evaluation of facts are the casualties of this set of priorites, thus liberal policy.
Ah, hawkeye, the liberal anthropologist...here to enlighten us all again with your useless wisdom about us! You know nothing about the characteristics of liberals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
It has nothing to do with academic achievement. It's about a mindset that automatically makes anyone with superior academic achievement as "suspect," or an "elitist." It's about a mindset and a culture that runs rampant through the GOP that actually celebrates anti-intellectualism. "I'd rather be governed by the first 2000 names in the Boston phone book than the dons of Harvard," could only be celebrated in the GOP. I don't believe that graduating from an Ivy League school automatically makes you ready for leadership but I don't like the idea that graduating from an Ivy League school automatically disqualifies you either.

Don't even get me started on the GOP's war on science. Only in the GOP could a candidate who believes in evolution and global warming put their candidacy in jeopardy.
^^^ My feelings exactly. Very sad.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:21 PM

This is fascinating, and describes the mindset of anti-intellectual folks (ie, much of the GOP base) very well. Read on.

Dunning

Old 09-18-2011, 03:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Science is not perfect.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:27 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Science is not perfect.
No one said it was.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:30 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
However, I get the impression that in the GOP, having an ivy league degree does make you suspect, while those who were mediocre students or diss book lernin' are put on a pedestal. Occaisionally you get a Truman, but it's not common. Being more educated increases the likelihood of making wise decisions. It's not foolproof, but it's more likely than someone who is not as educated. Sorry, but I see the value in being educated, and having leaders who are highly educated. I don't want someone "just like me" as president of the free world. I am kind of an elitist in that regard.

And I don't look down on people who are un-educated. I look down on people who celebrate the fact that they're uneducated. Big difference.
Exactly! It's not about being educated or not, hell I don't have a college degree (yet) but I don't celebrate that fact like it makes me superior to anyone. Yes Bush had some Ivy League education, but he was able to "overcome that" by decidedly taking an anti-intellectual stance. He spoke in plain "folksy" language and regularly derided "limousine" liberals and Ivy League "elitists." Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann are symptoms of this problem.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:11 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:

Ah, hawkeye, the liberal anthropologist...here to enlighten us all again with your useless wisdom about us! You know nothing about the characteristics of liberals.

^^^ My feelings exactly. Very sad.

Oddly, you have just reinforced my premise. Liberals are a very predictable lot. It is funny as hell, as they do not realize that they are a parody of themselves. This is from a conservative with more "book learnin" than you; I do not, however, deride people with less education, as many of them can be quite intellignet, but they simply lack an education. I find it peculiar that the liberal claims to be a champion of the common man, while at the same time assuming they are an illiterate, imbecilic herd who must be "fostered' and cared for like children. I guess this is how elitists and fascists alike think, as it is certainly not a normal thought process.

Liberals presume to lack prejudice in their enlightened state, yet take every opportunity to explain to the masses how idiotic conservatives, midwesterners, southerners, and Christians are. This is a part of their "superior" state, in which selective prejudice and ill concieved thought is considered "progressive". Sadly, they reveal their provincial nature in these "revelations".

Thanks for the entertainment.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 09-18-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Old 09-18-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Oddly, you have just reinforced my premise. Liberals are a very predictable lot. It is funny as hell, as they do not realize that they are a parody of themselves. This is from a conservative with more "book learnin" than you; I do not, however, deride people with less education, as many of them can be quite intellignet, but they simply lack an education. I find it peculiar that the liberal claims to be a champion of the common man, while at the same time assuming they are an illiterate, imbecilic herd who must be "fostered' and cared for like children. I guess this is how elitists and fascists alike think, as it is certainly not a normal thought process.

Liberals presume to lack prejudice in their enlightened state, yet take every opportunity to explain to the masses how idiotic conservatives, midwesterners, southerners, and Christians are. This is a part of their "superior" state, in which selective prejudice and ill concieved thought is considered "progressive". Sadly, they reveal their provincial nature in these "revelations".

Thanks for the entertainment.
Again with the broad brush strokes. Why do you assume all liberals are exactly the same? You should know not to do that because you DO have more book learning than me. (you're a doctor, right?). I never say "EVERY Republican ....." and EVERY Tea partier....." because I know some don't fit the mold. But your posts prove conservatives' point that book learning doesn't guarantee wisdom.

I do consider myself intelligent, and proud of my good education, but I said in my previous post that I don't look down on those with less education (My parents and grandparents never went to college. I respect them greatly)-but I look down only on those who are stupidly proud of it, as if that makes them better than us--the ones who are educated. Never said they are a mindless herd either, but throughout history, the weaker members of society have always been exploited by the strong, so yes, I do advocate government protections of middle and working class people against others. I don't mean to be condescending when I say that, but history has proven me right.

So says this corn fed, white, male, midwestern, Christian liberal. Yes, people like me do exist, and I don't fit into your neat little black and white perception of "liberals". I have never been to New England or NYC. I do not have dinner parties with well connected people. I'm just an American trying to make his way in the heartland. Hopefully you won't self destruct after this post.

Have a nice evening.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:37 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Both parties are stupid and corrupt. It is true, let's quit denying it. Both parties ruined this country. Repubs and Dems only care about votes and not the people or what is best for the country. Both sides of the aisle only use Americans as political pawns and buy us with "entitlements" for our votes. Why do you think no one has even mentioned the deficit until now? Our politicians don't care if we can't pay back $14 trillion. They only started caring when Americans woke up.

I will only vote Republican in 2012 because this party is the lesser of two evils. The Dems have passed way too many government intrusions into my life for me to vote for them. I am a smart woman who doesn't need the government telling me what I should put in my body or what health insurance to buy.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:39 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
I was just reading Maureen Dowd's latest column, and I think she hit the nail square on the head when it comes to the anti-intellectualism of modern conservatism--something that worries me more than other GOP problems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/op...ef=maureendowd

Read on, and enjoy.

Mackinac
If you watch the debates, it is like a competition to see who can be the least educated. That could be why Perry is leading, he is the least educated.

The next cycle they should put people out there with only a GED from homeschooling. They would probably win the nomination with the tea bagger backing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies