Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,842,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Republican logic:

Guy making ten bucks an hour hour wanting a small raise: world's greediest piggy!

Guy making a million dollars a year complaining about taxes: world's most sympathetic human being!
"Logic". A word that ought to be applied in a more dignified manner than you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 09:19 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,582,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some of you are so short-sighted. Your cheers for the destruction of unions will only lead to lower wages and benefits for everyone. You are cannibalizing yourselves.

Try to step outside of your jealousy and bitterness for once in your lives. If anything, you should be thankful that unions are still alive and fighting for good wages and benefits.

If, someday, you're only making $1 an hour, will you be hoping to see everyone else making $1 an hour too, or will you be cheering for people who fight for better wages and benefits? My hope is that it's the latter, but I bet it'll be the former. I think you right-wingers want a dog-eat-dog, Lord Of The Flies-type of society, and you won't be happy until everyone is suffering.
Short sighted ? HELL NO ! 70 yrs old next month, never worked in a UNION shop and never would. People need to learn we all pay for the benefits you "UNION WORKERS" get. I worked in the auto body end of the automotive industry. Union factory workers got paid over $30.00 per hour to do one job while I and my other workers got $9.00 per hr to repair all areas as needed, if you were really good at your job you could double that, no family paid insurance and I made it to retirement and raised a family as many of my fellow workers did. Fighting for better wages and benefits? who says what is enough and what if a fair wage?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,758,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This day and age with so many people out of work union members could really have such tactics backfire and find themselves completely out of work and out of contract. Plenty of people with families to feed will be more than happy to take their jobs.
Unions do little good today other than fill the leaders pockets with tons of money to buy our political system. The workers are useful fools and will end up out of a job. I remember well Otis Elevator in Riverside CA years and years ago when they all went out on strike and Otis just shut the doors. Same thing happened with a medical supply company I worked for when the unions tried and tried to get a foothold in that company, they just moved the plant to Mexico and took the work with them. What gets me is that the leftist puppetiers think it is fine to pay an uneducated grocery scanner $30 bucks an hour and uneducated bolt turners in a factory $24 an hour, carpenters $42 an hour but it is such a sin to pay medical people substantial wages.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 AM

1,744 posts, read 961,570 times
I have a friend that used to work at my company who was laid off 2 years ago. He had a tough time finding a new job but got hired by one of the grocery stores that might go on stirke. The dispute is over health care costs and who will pay for them. Prior to the grocery strike 7 years ago, the workers got FREE health care. That's right, they paid NOTHING for their health care. The grocery companies wanted them to pay $36/month for complete family coverage. The union said that was totally unacceptable and they went out on strike. It lasted for several months and eventually the union caved in and accepted the companies offer. This was after thousands of union members received no paychecks for several months. Now that contract has expired and the grocery companies want the workers to pay $92/month for complete family coverage. According to my friend, there is no co-pay at all. At my company, my friend paid more than that just for his own coverage. He says that most of the people he works with, who have been there a long time, instead of comparing the health care costs with just about most other jobs around (where the premiums are much higher) keep comparing it to the free health care they used to receive. They just can't get over it.

There are so many other options around for buying food now compared to years ago (Target, Walmart, Costco, Fresh & Easy, Trader Joes, Whole Foods) that another lengthy strike will weaken the major supermarkets even more.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:32 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,846,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Unions do little good today other than fill the leaders pockets with tons of money to buy our political system. The workers are useful fools and will end up out of a job. I remember well Otis Elevator in Riverside CA years and years ago when they all went out on strike and Otis just shut the doors. Same thing happened with a medical supply company I worked for when the unions tried and tried to get a foothold in that company, they just moved the plant to Mexico and took the work with them. What gets me is that the leftist puppetiers think it is fine to pay an uneducated grocery scanner $30 bucks an hour and uneducated bolt turners in a factory $24 an hour, carpenters $42 an hour but it is such a sin to pay medical people substantial wages.
I am sure if they all agreed to work 12 hours a day for $2/hour without benefits, that cheap company would never have moved to Mexico.

I say good riddance to companies that want to profit off of slave labor!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
From the Market. If you are worth it you will get paid. Maybe you go off and do your own thing once Obama is out and some regulations are taken off the books.
Nothing much right with unions anymore. They IMO close businesses down.
I like that there would be no minimum wage. Unions started that BS to and since then there are lots of poor unemployable people that can't get a job because they are not worth the investment required by a minimum wage. Some people should start at a much lower wage to be trained how to work for a living. Many have trouble showing up every day for a job.
Love it..watching the Obama administration destroy the market and we are eating ourselves. LMAO. I can think of many industries that have taken a hit as far as wages go and not a peep from the left. But don't we dont dare reduce the bolt cutters one penny. Time for real change dontcha think? I agree with your post responding to unidentifiedmale, bravo.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:34 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,196,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well I guess workers of America will now unite at the unemployment lines.

Ralphs, Albertsons would close stores if workers strike | SignOnSanDiego.com
Any American worker that plans a strike should be arrested.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Love it..watching the Obama administration destroy the market and we are eating ourselves. LMAO. I can think of many industries that have taken a hit as far as wages go and not a peep from the left. But don't we dont dare reduce the bolt cutters one penny. Time for real change dontcha think? I agree with your post responding to unidentifiedmale, bravo.
The companies that pay crap wages are, in fact, eating themselves. Before long, the majority will no longer be able to afford the product or service they produce.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some of you are so short-sighted. Your cheers for the destruction of unions will only lead to lower wages and benefits for everyone. You are cannibalizing yourselves.

Try to step outside of your jealousy and bitterness for once in your lives. If anything, you should be thankful that unions are still alive and fighting for good wages and benefits.

If, someday, you're only making $1 an hour, will you be hoping to see everyone else making $1 an hour too, or will you be cheering for people who fight for better wages and benefits? My hope is that it's the latter, but I bet it'll be the former. I think you right-wingers want a dog-eat-dog, Lord Of The Flies-type of society, and you won't be happy until everyone is suffering.
Let us talk about jealousy for a minute. Who is waging a war against the rich right now? On one hand you and the White house want to drag down the majority of the working public in the name of "fairness" and on the other hand you want to insure that the left wing supporting union worker gets his ridiculous wage and retirement benefits. A worker making $40,000 a year does not deserve $100,000 a year in retirement. It is this administration that has many of us working for that $1 an hour. So I would suggest that you step out of your envy for just a moment and let those who have slaved in the free market for their coal, enjoy that coal without having to share it with you.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Brace yourself!

Quote:
The final figures show that the median pay for top
executives at 200 big companies last year was $10.8 million. That works out to
a 23 percent gain from 2009. The earlier study had put the median
pay at a none-too-shabby $9.6 million, up 12 percent.
Executives' Pay at Big Companies Rose 23 Percent Last Year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies