Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:56 AM

7,479 posts, read 4,048,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I didn't say school was daycare. But if you work and school is closed, then you do have to find daycare for younger children.

Although given Tacoma's poor test scores and 52% graduation rate, the teachers there may not be much better than daycare workers.

Its just slipped past your comprehension hasn't it? there was a time when you only needed ONE wage earner to support a household.There was NO NEED for daycare.The republicans have fought for 50 years to lower wages and bust unions.... the ONLY leverage the common person has over large corporations.If the trend continues... you will BOTH need TWO jobs to live.
You'll never see your kids then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The workers PAY to work there?! What idiots!

If they're paying a union to do the same negotiating that they could do for themselves, they ARE paying to work there, and they ARE idiots!

you do realize.......the union is "themselves"

Old 09-19-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Nice pic. That's from what year? 2008? No? How about 1994? No? 1979? Still no? 1964? STILL no?

Hmm... I'm thinking that the "unions prevent slave labor" argument falls flat on its face in 2011.
not really.the unions DID contribute largely to stopping that practice.If the common working man {or wo***** had no voice I have no doubt that corporations would try something similar.
We fought a terrible war in WW2 also,and won.If your premise holds water,we should have just abolished our military?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,434,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
....I say good riddance to companies that want to profit off of slave labor!
I say if people show up for work, it must be the highest and best use of their time--the best opportunity they have. And if it isn't, they don't have to show up.

Slavery is not a factor.

Each one of us has the option of becoming more valuable to the rest of society. That is the only sure path to higher earnings.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,540,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some of you are so short-sighted. Your cheers for the destruction of unions will only lead to lower wages and benefits for everyone. You are cannibalizing yourselves.

Try to step outside of your jealousy and bitterness for once in your lives. If anything, you should be thankful that unions are still alive and fighting for good wages and benefits.

If, someday, you're only making $1 an hour, will you be hoping to see everyone else making $1 an hour too, or will you be cheering for people who fight for better wages and benefits? My hope is that it's the latter, but I bet it'll be the former. I think you right-wingers want a dog-eat-dog, Lord Of The Flies-type of society, and you won't be happy until everyone is suffering.
My business is non-union, and I pay the prevailing market rate for my area. If I did not, then:
  1. I would not be able to hire anyone, because they would be working for my competitors; and
  2. I would not be able to get contracts without the resources I need, and would be out of business in short order.
I calculate my overhead costs for each employee, and subtract that amount from their billable rate. The employee keeps the rest. Currently, my overhead works out to $7.50/hour. If I bill my client $75/hour for my employee's labor, then the employee takes home $67.50/hour, and their medical and dental insurance is already prepaid.

Unions are a waste of money and resources.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Any American worker that plans a strike should be arrested.
thats rich............communist poland even allowed its workers to strike........

Old 09-19-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Let us talk about jealousy for a minute. Who is waging a war against the rich right now? On one hand you and the White house want to drag down the majority of the working public in the name of "fairness" and on the other hand you want to insure that the left wing supporting union worker gets his ridiculous wage and retirement benefits. A worker making $40,000 a year does not deserve $100,000 a year in retirement. It is this administration that has many of us working for that $1 an hour. So I would suggest that you step out of your envy for just a moment and let those who have slaved in the free market for their coal, enjoy that coal without having to share it with you.

So you make $1 per hour.........thats sad

Old 09-19-2011, 10:14 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,961,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some of you are so short-sighted. Your cheers for the destruction of unions will only lead to lower wages and benefits for everyone. You are cannibalizing yourselves.

Try to step outside of your jealousy and bitterness for once in your lives. If anything, you should be thankful that unions are still alive and fighting for good wages and benefits.

If, someday, you're only making $1 an hour, will you be hoping to see everyone else making $1 an hour too, or will you be cheering for people who fight for better wages and benefits? My hope is that it's the latter, but I bet it'll be the former. I think you right-wingers want a dog-eat-dog, Lord Of The Flies-type of society, and you won't be happy until everyone is suffering.
please.

unions are fighting for themselves, not the workers, or they wouldn't be supporting illegal immigration.

they just want to bring in more union members, and to hell with the rest of us.

they proved where they stood with the bailouts and with their obamacare exemptions.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The days of child labor are long gone and they have used up any usefulness in my opinion. When the strikers get more wages the $1 an hour worker pays more at the pump. Who wins? Not the poor. I wonder why when Obama asks us all to tighten our belts that the union workers feel they don't need to give in a little and make a little less to help out?
got any instances of any management taking a pay holiday,or NOT getting a raise? they work at the same place most of the union people do........where is their sacrifice to make the business stay solvent?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,755,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Its just slipped past your comprehension hasn't it? there was a time when you only needed ONE wage earner to support a household.There was NO NEED for daycare.The republicans have fought for 50 years to lower wages and bust unions.... the ONLY leverage the common person has over large corporations.If the trend continues... you will BOTH need TWO jobs to live.
You'll never see your kids then.
I see my kids all the time. I own my own business. My husband also has a successful career. Successful people don't need unions to protect them. Unions protect the mediocre in most instances.

My mom was a teacher who left the profession and become a wealthy entrepeneur. I feel sorry for teachers, the really fantastic ones can't be rewarded because the unions push seniority over success. That's a huge part of the fight in Tacoma. The union wants some decisions to be made completely on seniority instead of any evaluation. And that's reason my mom left teaching. She thought it was crazy that it didn't matter how effective she was- almost everything was based on seniority.
And seniority requires only one ability- the ability to have a birthday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies