Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:17 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
There was a time in the past when a grocery clerk who stocked the shelves knew most of the prices of the products...the table it was on...what shelf and how many items from the end of that shelf for a particular brand.

That was a Retail Clerk Journeyman.

Today ask a person a price and they have NO idea other then to run a Bar Code thru a scanner. It now pays a lot more then the $2.45 an hr Union scale I made way back when. My take home pay each week was a $98 that supported a family and paid the mortgage. When I worked OT over the 40hrs my pay scale level went up and the take home amount dropped...go figure...you work extra for less take home money.
Welcome to the world of liberal progressive taxes, where the harder you work the more you are punished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Seriously, it is time we take a stand for what is right! Any company that does not pay a decent wage in this country or elsewhere, or takes advantage of child labor, should not be allowed to sell their product or service in the US!

The rest of you can move to those third world countries that give blind support to the "job creators!"
I would LOVE to see the receipts for a month's worth of your purchases, so I could point out to you how you're "blindly supporting" that child labor.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
You're either being deliberately dishonest or you're simply ignorant of the fact that advancing technology is the main reason for the statistics behind that graph.

Some people...

Old 09-19-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
you do realize.......the union is "themselves"
No, it's not. The union is a corporation (gasp!) that claims to represent the workers, but in many states, the workers don't even have the choice of whether they want to join the union or not.

The unions represent themselves, and as long as they get those workers who don't mind shelling out a bunch of money more and more "stuff," the workers just look the other way when it comes to all the corruption and political purchasing they do.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
not really.the unions DID contribute largely to stopping that practice.If the common working man {or wo***** had no voice I have no doubt that corporations would try something similar.
We fought a terrible war in WW2 also,and won.If your premise holds water,we should have just abolished our military?
WTF are you talking about? You're comparing unions to the United States military? Come back to earth, and then we can talk.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 AM

1,740 posts, read 957,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Unions are not all the same animal. Some are good, others not so much.

Sorry, I'm not paying extra so someone can be overpaid to bag my groceries instead of them hiring a highschool kid.

See, we have dumbed down America. We glorify athletes and make fun of being smart (nerds). So, when you have people whose abilities are limited to a job you can teach someone with downs syndrome and want good pay and benefits? Guess what? F-them...I'm not their hostage.
I agree with the first two sentences of your last paragraph. But then after that...........

One of the problems in this country is people who have no respect for jobs (or the people who do them) that are considered beneath them. There is no shame in working in a grocery store, gas station, restaurant, etc. You can't expect to get rich doing those jobs, but there is no reason to insinuate that people in those jobs have limited abilities.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:00 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some of you are so short-sighted. Your cheers for the destruction of unions will only lead to lower wages and benefits for everyone. You are cannibalizing yourselves.
That will happen with or without unions.

Some of you seem to have tremendous difficulty grasping a 5th Grade concept like "global economy."

You are no longer competing against other Americans only. You are now competing against workers all over the world, and the reality is, you cannot compete with them at your current wage level. That is your fault, for being so short-sighted, but hey, it was good while it lasted.

Albertson's is not an entity that competes globally, but it does compete nationally.

NEWSFLASH: Your unemployment rate is 9+%.

Wages/salaries are a function Supply & Demand respective to their specific market. The supply of chimapanzees that can punch buttons on a cash register far and above exceeds the demand for chimpanzees that can punch buttons on a cash register.

Your unemployment rate will not change for the rest of the decade, and neither unions nor your government can prevent that, in part because you are yet finished permanently losing jobs that have no hope of competing globally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If, someday, you're only making $1 an hour, will you be hoping to see everyone else making $1 an hour too, or will you be cheering for people who fight for better wages and benefits?
That's a classic Straw Man. Your wages will never be $1/hour. Trying to frighten people with absurdities isn't very becoming.

Quote:
Want to go back to those times?
That would be impossible since the US has completed industrialization. Only some kind of cataclysmic event could result in those conditions again.

Quote:
What about pay for sports figures and entertainers?

Are they outside the field of view of the blinders you wear?

Quote:
FYI, child labor is alive and well in other countries.
Well, check out the big brain on jojajn.

Child labor is a necessary "evil" for industrialization. To industrialize, a country needs a massive amount of labor. You basically need every swinging dick, and yes that includes child labor.

Once the process of industrialization is complete, you have an excess of labor, and children are no longer needed.

No country on Earth has industrialized without the use of child labor, and that includes the US. Without child labor, the US could not have completed industrialization in the time that it did, and conditions in the US would be far worse than you could imagine if child labor had not been used to complete industrialization.

So quit whining like an infant.

Quote:
Countries that American companies have moved their factories to in order to increase profits.
That is not why American companies have moved.

American companies moved because you cannot sell products made by $48/hour lazy union workers on the global market.

Since you don't seem to be too good in math, might I remind you that they US is only a measly 4.5% of the global market.

Your $30,000 cars made by your $50/hour union workers will not sell on the global market competing against equal quality vehicles priced at $4,000 made by $3/hour workers.

That is why Ford is opening a plant in India. If Ford wants to compete in India, it will have to make cars in India. Making cars in Detroit and exporting them to India is a losing proposition that would put Ford out of business in 5 years.

Unless you want your tax dollars to subsidize Ford.

Maybe you can build hospitals in Ford plants and go there for your health care.

Quote:
Is this what you want America to compete with?
You don't have a choice.

You could always dust off some nukes and start making the launchers and missiles for the Pershing II again.

Quote:
Seriously, it is time we take a stand for what is right! Any company that does not pay a decent wage in this country or elsewhere, or takes advantage of child labor, should not be allowed to sell their product or service in the US!
You no longer have that kind of clout.

I can appreciate the fact that you must be terribly distraught at the prospect of becoming irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Unions are not all the same animal. Some are good, others not so much.
I've noticed that "independent" unions seem to be above the general stupidity. These are unions that are not associated with any other unions. They exist for a particular facility and that's it, the buck stops there.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Schooling as daycare. No wonder we are creating dunces that shop at Walmart and believe Glenn Beck.

So haw many people in a house hold are required to afford the three bedroon house and ten year old car? One, two, three or more?.

OP =- Albertson's was going to close stores anyway as part of another union busting operation.
Do you have some links to someone other than you about that store closing? I bet we don't see any of them.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
got any instances of any management taking a pay holiday,or NOT getting a raise? they work at the same place most of the union people do........where is their sacrifice to make the business stay solvent?
You have NO clue about how businesses operate, and (obviously) NO experience running or managing one.

To answer your question, yes, I "got an instance" of ALL upper management taking a pay holiday - for over a year - when the tech bubble burst. It was at my last "regular" job, in fact.

About 6 or 7 years prior to that, I managed a mom-and-pop retail store that had its good months and its bad months. During the bad months, the employees got paid, but the owner lost money.

Sorry, but every time you try to make some claim that you clearly don't have the experience to be making, you make a fool of yourself. If you had any real life experience, you'd know that all the crap you and your ilk spew is nothing but union propaganda. It really is that simple.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I didn't say school was daycare. But if you work and school is closed, then you do have to find daycare for younger children.

Although given Tacoma's poor test scores and 52% graduation rate, the teachers there may not be much better than daycare workers.
Your numbers sound like those teachers really need a union to keep them employed and they seem to be fighting other unions. Hmmmmmm.

Most lefties don't understand the need to buy daycare for younger kids when teachers are on strike. I think that one of the worst crimes I know of is for teachers to go on strike and I was a public school teacher for 28 years. I am just glad I live in a right to work state where a teacher strike would meet with violence in short order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies