Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not quite true. The Constitution is a charter of negative liberties, not positive. It lists what can not be taken away from us, and those things are what are rights.

Smoking could be banned in the same manner we ban crack, the government just chooses to allow it, one could presume due to tax revenues.

Not quite true indeed. There is nothing in the constitution that says the government can tell me what to eat, drink or smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 12:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not quite true indeed. There is nothing in the constitution that says the government can tell me what to eat, drink or smoke.
Going out on a limb here, but wasn't the Volstead Act, in essence, the government telling you what you can drink?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Individual liberty stops, the moment my taxes get raised, to pay for all of the healthcare costs surrounding smoking. IF, which will never happen, thanks to liberals, you get a smoking related disease, which was caused by smoking and I don't have to pay for it, fine. .

So let's complete your list of things that cause health issues and therefore should be banned... because I'm sure you don't want your tax money paying for any of these;

1. Jogging (ankle injuries are quite common)
2. French Fries
3. Driving a car
4. Riding a motorcycle
5. Playing football
6. Hunting
7. Riding a bicycle
8. Drinking alcohol
9. Listening to loud music
10. Boating
11. Skiing
12. Golf
13. Grilling

etc, etc.

Now when we ban all activities that impact health care costs, I'll join you in banning smokes.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Going out on a limb here, but wasn't the Volstead Act, in essence, the government telling you what you can drink?
It required an amendment to the constitution.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You either respect someones liberty or you do not. It is as simple as that. I run in to things every day that people do that I absolutely despise and I could make a pretty darn valid argument to demand they stop doing it in public because it offends me, but like I said, doing so would hurt me as well as them. If you don't like smoking, then do not go to restaurants that allow it, avoid people who do it, and be responsible for yourself.

Frankly, I think those who do not respect individual liberty are disgusting, worthless garbage who deserve to be treated like slaves and have their rights, their liberties, their freedoms stripped from them so they can be put in their place as fodder for those who would control them.

Brilliant !!!!!!!!!!!!! But I would add "Selfish" to your list describing these worthless pieces of spit.

Too many people do not understand freedom. They think it's all about them.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

There is not one, single, solitary positive, to smoking. Zip. Zilch. Notta. The most disgusting habit on the face of the earth.

That's your (juvenile) opinion, but the facts say otherwise. Millions of people enjoy smoking and that's what life is all about. If you cannot enjoy life, why live?

I would much rather suffer the ill effects of smoking than go through life as one of these small minded, fanatical anti smoking people.

The most disgusting habit on the face of the earth is telling others to live by your standards as if you know what's best for everyone else.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yes, people are generally for individual liberty until they want to see something eliminated they do not personally care for or want to see. Freedom is about more than just allowing those things that align with your personal views, it is also about allowing those things that you do not agree with but should still be in the realm of individual choice.

Correct!

These anti smoking idiots don't understand freedom and liberty. Their small minds cannot understand that other people may make choices that are different from theirs.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It required an amendment to the constitution.

Here's where I get confused -- and I am embarrassed to admit it -- if an amendment is made to the Constitution, would that make the amendment part of Constitutional Law?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I wouldn't quite go that far. Some working regulations are needed, but some people have such lax definitions of a dangerous working environment that they'd consider any risk to be be unsafe.

That should be the workers choice... not the government.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Nope. Consider this for an example:
1- You own a home. You have people over and serve them alcohol.
2- You own a business. You have people over. To serve them alcohol, you need license. Or would you try the "entirely private property" excuse instead.
Unfortunately, We have allowed our government to get almost total control of our lives. Requiring a license for everything has become the norm, but it shouldn't be.

There should be no need to have a license to serve alcohol. That is just a power grab by government and provides no service to the people. And there are many many more of these wasteful requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies