Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 08:57 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,158,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
There's nothing "touchy feely" about being against bullying. It's about protecting children, pure and simple. Bullies should have the book thrown at them as hard as it can be thrown.
Protecting? Really? What you are protecting them from, is growing up. Learning how to deal with things life throws at you, is a part of growing up. One of those things, is how to deal with a bully.

There will be bullies throughout your entire life. If you don't learn how to deal with them as a child, how can you be expected to deal with it as an adult?

Back in the 60's when I was in elementary school, I had to deal with a bully. My mom, advised me to tell a teacher, And I found it made things worse. My dad took me aside that weekend, and told me, the way to deal with a bully is to teach them, you won't be bullied. Running to a teacher won't work, it makes things worse, (Something I figured out myself a few days prior to that talk). So he gave me HIS talk, and that Monday, the bully started in on me, I bloodied his nose, got paddled by the principal, and was never, ever bullied by this particular bully again.

You will have to deal with bullies throughout your life, if you can't learn as a child how to deal with them, what happens when you grow up?

Instead of throwing a book at bullies, try a right cross. It works, and YOU feel a sense of accomplishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,293,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I got tired of being bullied by this one kid who was way bigger than the rest of us, yet was the same age. He picked on us every day. After 2 years of his hitting me and my step dad saying to just beat him up, I did just that, attacked him when he got off the bus, started punching him till a teache pulled me off. I was cheered on by all the other kids that he bullied and when we were brought before the prinicipal, he was the one who got paddled. This was in 1970 when kids were still paddled in school. But in second grade I had this one kid from the fourth grade that singled me out for being red haired. He would attack me nearly every day at recess, most of the time he would grab me from behind and choke me. I finally told a teacher on the school grounds to watch me and set this kid up. I went to where I knew he would most likey catch me and he did and the teacher saw it and he got sent to be paddled. Unfortunately bullies learn their behavior at home and it gets reinforced when they go home by an abusive parent
Exactly, now I bet that he has a job were he does the exact same thing that he did as a kid

Last edited by simetime; 09-15-2013 at 05:16 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 05:06 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Bullying is the leading cause of teen suicide and some do not care? Thank god for all those celebrities, athletes and others that volunteered their time to participate in anti-bullying campaigns.
No bullying can't cause suicide.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Your father was a wise man, and of course completely correct. When I was young our family moved around a lot, which meant I was usually the new kid in school. I was picked on constantly at first, until, like your father advised, I found the guy with the biggest mouth or the biggest bully in school and got into a fight. I was never picked on after that, until we moved to another school district and I was once again the new kid on the block. I did not always win those fights either, but it typically only took one fight in each new school I attended, and either the other kids left me alone because they thought I was crazy, or I earned their respect for standing up for myself.
When I got married my stepson had made a deal with his mother not to fight in school, I thought that this was odd since other kids thought that he was weak. Once I found out that this one kid was harrassing him and he had already went to the teacher who did nothing, and told his mother who went up to the school and was promptly blown off (they thought that she was a single parent), I told him to knock the kids block off. I did not know that he could defend himself and was going to get his brother (my oldest son) to help him if needed. I was totally shocked when I got a call from the principal informing me that he was in a fight and beat the other kid up pretty bad (bloodied his nose) and blacked his eye. When I went up to the school they tried to suspend him until I explained that he had been bullied by this kid and that the teachers had ignored the whole thing the principal changed his tune. Btw, my youngest son has 3.9 GPA and is real quiet and does not bother anyone. Not suprising that after that no one in the school bother him again.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Protecting? Really? What you are protecting them from, is growing up. Learning how to deal with things life throws at you, is a part of growing up. One of those things, is how to deal with a bully.

There will be bullies throughout your entire life. If you don't learn how to deal with them as a child, how can you be expected to deal with it as an adult?

Back in the 60's when I was in elementary school, I had to deal with a bully. My mom, advised me to tell a teacher, And I found it made things worse. My dad took me aside that weekend, and told me, the way to deal with a bully is to teach them, you won't be bullied. Running to a teacher won't work, it makes things worse, (Something I figured out myself a few days prior to that talk). So he gave me HIS talk, and that Monday, the bully started in on me, I bloodied his nose, got paddled by the principal, and was never, ever bullied by this particular bully again.

You will have to deal with bullies throughout your life, if you can't learn as a child how to deal with them, what happens when you grow up?

Instead of throwing a book at bullies, try a right cross. It works, and YOU feel a sense of accomplishment.

Personally, I think that those kids that were bullied when they were young and are still being bullied are trying to protect their kids from going through the same thing not realizing that this is the first step of life. Like I have mentioned many times before, this country is founded on violence and even today we can clearly see that it is still in effect today. When was the last time that this country attacked a country that could possibly pose any serious damage? At times It just seems like we bully smaller countries because we can and make excuses whenever they try to fight back

Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
I do not agree that bullying is part of growing up
it was 50 years ago
the change is retaliation is now considered criminal

the act of bullying is the same
but resistance is swiftly punished
at the adult level its not the home invaders that r the problem its those crazy shotgun toting
home owners that are the problem
or so they say

Old 09-15-2013, 06:28 PM

4,771 posts, read 3,278,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No bullying can't cause suicide.
Really??
Mental despair that would drive someone to suicide is often a direct result of being a victim of bullying.

Bullying and Suicide - Bullying Statistics

Old 09-15-2013, 06:38 PM

8,860 posts, read 5,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
So you think having the government and school administrators "protect" children is better than teaching them and allowing them to learn how to protect themselves?
My experience with many parents is that when their bullying brat is taken care of by another child they will be amongst the first running to the office screaming about how their poor little Johnny/Jane was brutalized.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:42 PM

8,860 posts, read 5,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Bullies should also learn there are consequences for their behavior. My experience seems to indicate this isn't done.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:02 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,160,178 times
I cannot believe this mentality yet again that the victim is the one at fault & no repercussions directed toward the bully. Uneffingbelievable.

I suspect what it will take for some people to get a clue & start EMPATHIZING is for one of their own to fall victim, even killing themselves. Maybe then that ahole mentality will change. Somehow, with some on here, I highly doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies