Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:40 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
So you think having the government and school administrators "protect" children is better than teaching them and allowing them to learn how to protect themselves?
I think school administrators and teachers have ALWAYS been better able to protect kids than you seem to think and it's ALWAYS better for the school environment to not have bullying taking place. You don't have to be of a particular political bent to know that. In some schools it would just be fight after fight if the "grown ups" just decided to take a hands off approach and let the kids work it out themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 02:41 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Who will teach what kids, how and where? Come on, you have a solution or just want to call people names?
They'll figure it out. You need to learn how to deal with *******s eventually. Because you're going to deal with them for the rest of your life, that's just a fact.

Now when it comes to serious harassment or weapons etc. yeah that's a different story but we don't need a whole new set of "anti-bullying" laws to deal with that.

Quote:
So you think having the government and school administrators "protect" children is better than teaching them and allowing them to learn how to protect themselves?
Individual strength is not a favorite trait of libs.

We are going soft. Not that we should all be stone killers, but a nation of crybabies will not survive.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:43 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I can't see the downside to anti bullying...seriously. Get off the "let kids work it out for themselves" and tell me the downside to having schools keep the peace.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Who will teach what kids, how and where? Come on, you have a solution or just want to call people names?
Where else would they teach kids? Duh School of course, teach kids how to handle it when someone bullies them, Bullies only do it because the other person allows it, kids should be taught how to handle these situations instead of trying to cover them in a protective shield, Bullies don't stop in school it goes on all through life, work and everywhere else, teach them to deal with it not cry.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Seems to be a lot of bullying on this forum. Kids do what they see at home. Teach your children to be kind to others and the reason to be kind and we will see less of bullying going on at school.

I don't have much hope it will change though. Not with society getting more hateful all the time.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:46 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,688 times
Quote:
I can't see the downside to anti bullying...seriously.
people also didn't see the problems with "zero tolerance" policies on weapons, until they started expelling 8 year olds who brought a spork to class.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:46 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Quote:
We can't look at any issue thru the "when I was a kid" glasses anymore, the world is different.
Unfortunately it is different. Kids have been incessantly told not to fight back for the last 30 years, let the adults handle it. When the adults failed to handle it, some kids decide a gun is the only way to end it. Let them fight it out within reason and most of this disappears in a generation. My .02.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Is it just me, or is this "war on bullying" that is currently being raised by today's bedwetting parents completely ridiculous and a waste of time. It's like they are dead set on raising a generation of wimps who can't solve problems or face conflict on their own without involving their mommy and daddy, their teacher, the police, or the government.

I'm not even that old (29), and even when I was a kid, we were still told that the way to deal with a bully was with a swift Tyson haymaker to the side of the dome. It always worked when some punk tried to pick on me, and I certainly don't have emotional "scars" from being bullied or ever considered suicide because of it. Most of my peers will tell you the exact same thing, as will my parents and their peers from the 60s/70s. So why did we move away from what has worked for so long? Hasn't anyone heard the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Bullying is a part of growing up, period. It will never go away, no matter how much we get the government involved, how many celebrities join the anti-bullying crusade, or how many touchy-feely anti-bullying assembly presentations we make elementary kids sit through. Getting bullied and learning how to deal with it is a life experience that will help kids deal with bigger challenges down the road. You think there aren't "bullies" in the corporate world? Give me a break. And if your kid doesn't learn to stand up to bullies in elementary school, he will grow up to be the guy in the office that always accepts extra busy work while never receiving a promotion or even so much as a show of gratitude.

Bottom line, bullying is a part of growing up, and it would be no bigger of a deal than other preteen and teen tribulations like braces and acne if kids were just taught how to fight back instead of being blown a bunch of smoke about how our nanny government and school administrators are waging a war on bullies.

Like I heard someone say a few weeks ago: One more generation and we'll all be chicks.
I agree with you pimpy, however, learning how to put the bullies in their place back in the day has not done me any good pertaining to what I bolded in your quote. But, since you mentioned it I might as well give the boss a swift Tyson haymaker to the side of his dome!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
The problem is with all these "no tolerance" policies it really doesn't matter who's doing the bullying. If your the one picked on and choose to handle it on your own with a swift left aside somebody's head you get punished too. Bully yells "he started it" and they punish both no matter what the case. When the adults look the other way, which they do many times, the child now has no recourse at all. My kids simply laugh at all the anti bullying ignorance peddled at them almost on a daily basis. It does nothing. And don't even start about the "facebook bullies". Turn off the damn computer.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:01 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Is it just me, or is this "war on bullying" that is currently being raised by today's bedwetting parents completely ridiculous and a waste of time. It's like they are dead set on raising a generation of wimps who can't solve problems or face conflict on their own without involving their mommy and daddy, their teacher, the police, or the government.

I'm not even that old (29), and even when I was a kid, we were still told that the way to deal with a bully was with a swift Tyson haymaker to the side of the dome. It always worked when some punk tried to pick on me, and I certainly don't have emotional "scars" from being bullied or ever considered suicide because of it. Most of my peers will tell you the exact same thing, as will my parents and their peers from the 60s/70s. So why did we move away from what has worked for so long? Hasn't anyone heard the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Bullying is a part of growing up, period. It will never go away, no matter how much we get the government involved, how many celebrities join the anti-bullying crusade, or how many touchy-feely anti-bullying assembly presentations we make elementary kids sit through. Getting bullied and learning how to deal with it is a life experience that will help kids deal with bigger challenges down the road. You think there aren't "bullies" in the corporate world? Give me a break. And if your kid doesn't learn to stand up to bullies in elementary school, he will grow up to be the guy in the office that always accepts extra busy work while never receiving a promotion or even so much as a show of gratitude.

Bottom line, bullying is a part of growing up, and it would be no bigger of a deal than other preteen and teen tribulations like braces and acne if kids were just taught how to fight back instead of being blown a bunch of smoke about how our nanny government and school administrators are waging a war on bullies.

Like I heard someone say a few weeks ago: One more generation and we'll all be chicks.
I can assure you it's not just you. This is one of several reasons why China will eat our lunch in the coming decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies