Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:52 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
It isn't a few nutcases. Mainstream Islam is profoundly repulsive and holds values most people in America find utterly incompatible with modernity.
:
Disgust with Islam isn't because people are simply bigots. It is rooted in the fact that most majority Muslim societies are places where no westerner -- even most liberals -- wants to live.
It is not uncommon for people to be disgusted with Christians, Jews and others. Does that mean we should give up all notion of civility and start treating people as people, as opposed to labeling them by their religion?

If you want to maintain the rhetoric you do, you're no different than those people you call repulsive, except for your religion. And trust me, a LOT of people will call you repulsive because of your religion and I would be defending you against them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 01:07 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It is not uncommon for people to be disgusted with Christians, Jews and others. Does that mean we should give up all notion of civility and start treating people as people, as opposed to labeling them by their religion?

If you want to maintain the rhetoric you do, you're no different than those people you call repulsive, except for your religion. And trust me, a LOT of people will call you repulsive because of your religion and I would be defending you against them as well.
Nonsense. The congressman wasn't treating the students as people. He was treating them as victims. Worse, victims just by voluntarily living here. That's infantilization not civility.

Muslims are not entitled to respect just because they are Muslims. They're certainly not entitled to an apology from our elected representatives that implies that all Americans are evil bigots.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Nonsense. The congressman wasn't treating the students as people. He was treating them as victims. Worse, victims just by voluntarily living here. That's infantilization not civility.

Muslims are not entitled to respect just because they are Muslims. They're certainly not entitled to an apology from our elected representatives that implies that all Americans are evil bigots.
Its not about an entitlement, it is a responsibility, the mark of grown ups to acknowledge that, we do have this problem. Not too long ago, you could have replaced "Muslims" with "Jews" and argued against someone else in my place. But then, you might be a Jew, who has simply lost track.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:15 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Mike Quigley is a dhimmi. Maybe he should move to Iran and find out how tolerant radical Islam really is not.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:44 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Oh we're "helping" alright, we're helping ourselves to their sweet crude.

Flush out your headgear.
Just how much oil have we gotten from Iraq or Afganistan?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:45 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
So a guy can't speak out against discrimination without being a pro-Islamist dhimmi, is that it?

This thread and its subject are stupid.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:48 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Just because we're the best place in the world for them doesn't make us innocent of discrimination. In fact, one of the reasons we are the best place for them is because we tend to feel guilty about unfair discrimination (an attitude not common in many other countries). So our "apology" is great propaganda against the extremists.
What discrimination are you referring to? Disney World not allowing the hijab to be worn by Magic Kingdom restaurant workers? You do realize that these types of complaints make up the bulk of the religious discrimination complaints filed by Muslims in this country.

So why are our politicians apologizing for something that Disney should have every right to do? In addition the motivation behind such discrimination is hardly insidious.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just what was it "we" did wrong that we're supposed to apologize for?
We reacted against Muslims in general after 9/11. While understandable under the circumstances, this was still wrong.

Quote:
My understanding on other posts was that Muslims felt that people wern't nice to them after their fellow Islams took down the WTC. Sorry, but too flippin' bad.
Again, an indication of a desire to punish the innocent with the guilty, to ignore any collateral damage as long as we get the bad guy. I think that's worth an apology - to the innocent.

Quote:
Thousands of people died and we're supposed to feel bad about your feelings?
They aren't my feelings. I don't give a crap about being sensitive, I DO give a crap about making smart choices in the ongoing propaganda war with radical Islam. It seems some here would rather just play into their hands and validate their anti-US propaganda instead of refuting it.

This is a strategic issue for me.

Quote:
Besides, using your logic, I have nothing to apologize for. The Muslims I know I didn't mistreat or blame for it, nor should I apologize FOR those that might have.
Then a collective apology from a US government official shouldn't bother you. I never did anything bad to any Muslim I've ever met, and the apology doesn't bother me. Why should it bother you?

Quote:
I am sorry for the lives we've wasted trying to "help" Islamic countries.
"Help" is a relative concept. I think there's plenty of Muslims over there that could do just fine without our armed intervention and invasions of their land. I think a lot of them liked us just fine before we "helped' them by killing their family members.

Quote:
Our nations leaders owe their familes an apology. Maybe we owe the families of those killed on 9/11 an apology because we didn't screen carefully before allowing Islamic extremists into this country on visas.
Works for me.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:55 PM

[quote=Mr. Joshua;20961405]
Quote:

What discrimination are you referring to? Disney World not allowing the hijab to be worn by Magic Kingdom restaurant workers?
Not a bad example, actually. Whether it rises to the level of legal discrimination is another issue. This is just one anecdote, however, and a pretty mild one.

Quote:
You do realize that these types of complaints make up the bulk of the religious discrimination complaints filed by Muslims in this country.
No I don't realize that as anything but your opinion, unless you can back it up.

Even if you could, it still doesn't change anything about the actual, substantive discrimination, or that apologizing for it to everyday, normal Muslims being a good idea for propaganda purposes.

Make nice with the informants. Kill the terrorists. Doing #1 better makes doing #2 more possible.

Think.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:38 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just how much oil have we gotten from Iraq or Afganistan?
"We"?

By "we", you would be referring to multi-national oil cartels, correct?

If you think we invaded Iraq for "We, the People", I got a bridge in my backyard for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies