Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 08:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,825,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What would you do if you had a hot plate and no stove top and no counter top?
Dutch oven on hot plate can be substituted for a regular oven. You can even make things like cornbread in a Dutch oven on a hot plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,141,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Diet soda is TERRIBLE for you. And chips have ZERO nutritional value. Why should an entitlement program that was started to help subsidize the purchase of NUTRITIONAL food allow anyone to buy food with no nutritional value?
Because the government is catering to corporations who want revenue.
You have EBT cards accepted at gas stations..what do they sell at gas stations besides gas..JUNK FOOD.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:27 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,415,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissak234 View Post
Hahaha! And its not like these people go to school anyway!!!
I am getting my college degree and was working on it before I had to get FS and resumed it after not needing FS anymore. My college education was interrupted by severe disability. A lot of people on FS want to go to school or have started but because of their current circumstances, they can't. I tried my hardest to keep going to school through disability. The first thing I did was teach myself braille because I knew I would need it for school. (Which I do--my braille skill are invaluable--and I couldn't pursue the degree I am pursuing right now if it weren't for braille.)

At the time, my rural college did not have the resources to accommodate me to take classes in person and it would have posed a lot of issues with transportation and cost a lot of money. I jumped through all the hoops to get accommodations. I even walked, twice, on a road without sidewalks to my doctors to get them to hand me the documentation necessary because that was the only way I could get there. That's how determined I was to go to school. Instead of admitting they didn't have the resources, they kept "losing" my documentation and "forgetting to inform me" after class registration had closed. So I finally used my money to take some online classes. I even taught myself the braille math code so that I could take a math class. I ended up having to drop it because the online program wasn't accessible with my deaf-blind computer technology, but I did do well in my English and writing courses. So at least I got something out of all that effort.

I guess you're right. During most of the time I was on FS, I wasn't in college. And when I was, it was just online classes.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Nobody eats TV Dinners any more, but it changed everything in the '50s and '60s. The baby boomers grew up not learning cooking skills.
Wrong. I'm a boomer and my mother taught me how to cook, sew, iron, etc. I passed those same skills onto my child. Well, not the sewing part (he's a male) but he can patch a hole or sew on a button which is all he'll ever really need.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Baby boomers who grew up with TV Dinners weren't taught cooking skills. My high school didn't have a Home Economics class. Maybe they expected us to gain these skills through osmosis or something.
Were you raised by wolves?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Perhaps if government got out of the way, a person COULD get a mortgage in Orlando on a cashier's job.
So they could be foreclosed on in six months? We've already been through that, it devastated our economy. Home Ownership is NOT a right.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 AM

I'm a boomer as well and learned how to cook. We RARELY had TV dinners growing up and rarely ate out.

My son also knows how to cook simple meals by himself. Way to generalize.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
And a pan? I'd cook some vegetables in it. Or I'd boil eggs. Or make soup. A hot plate was my stove for ten years.
Exactly. To make a pot of VERY nutritional bean soup you need a can of broth (you can use bullion or just water as well), beans soaked for about 24 hours, either fresh or canned or frozen spinach, tomatoes, carrots, onions and any other veggies you want to toss in.

Load it all up into a stockpot and simmer it on low for a few hours. Season with whatever works for you.

Makes about a dozen adult sized servings.

If I buy store brand frozen carrots and spinach at $1 a bag, the beans at $1 a bag, broth for $.70 a can, an onion for about $.50, and a can of diced tomatoes for $.50, that's about $.40 a serving for a very filling meal. It's almost fat free, loaded with protein and vitamins. It requires a single pot and a hot plate.

You can also do stir fry, meat and veggies with a little olive oil. There are loads of things you can do with a single burner.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:44 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,415,976 times
Quote:
I don't criticize someone for the circumstances that led them to be on food stamps. (Generally speaking)

I do criticize how those people spend the tax dollars given to them as part of a program that was developed back in the 1960's to SUPPLEMENT the food budgets of lower income people so they could buy NUTRITIOUS food. It was never meant to be 100% of a food budget and never meant to buy anything but nutritious foods that lower income individuals had a hard time affording without the assistance.

There is no rule that states that 100% of the entitlement has to be used every month. To use the entitlement paid for by taxpayers to buy non-nutritious and non-essential foods "because one can" is simply a shameful waste of taxpayer money.
I'll say it again. If you want people to eat healthier, make healthy food as accessible and convenient as junk food!

Part of the reason people eat junk is cause it's closer, faster, cheaper, and easier! Want people to eat healthy? Make healthy food closer, faster, cheaper, and easier! There is plenty of healthy food you don't have to cook. If I could have gone to the dollar store and picked up a bag of raspberries instead of a bag of chips, I would have done just that. But all they had was chips and Velveeta Mac & Cheese etc. You can't blame people for not taking the harder path when they are already in desperate times. When people are struggling they are not going to commute farther, cook for longer, and do any more work than they have to because they have 9 million other things they have to worry about. There are even healthy snack foods like dried banana slices that could replace chips and would have just as long a shelf life as those chips. Make those as easy to get as the Doritos and you will find that people who are poor but want to eat healthy will go for those options.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Exactly. To make a pot of VERY nutritional bean soup you need a can of broth (you can use bullion or just water as well), beans soaked for about 24 hours, either fresh or canned or frozen spinach, tomatoes, carrots, onions and any other veggies you want to toss in.

Load it all up into a stockpot and simmer it on low for a few hours. Season with whatever works for you.

Makes about a dozen adult sized servings.

If I buy store brand frozen carrots and spinach at $1 a bag, the beans at $1 a bag, broth for $.70 a can, an onion for about $.50, and a can of diced tomatoes for $.50, that's about $.40 a serving for a very filling meal. It's almost fat free, loaded with protein and vitamins. It requires a single pot and a hot plate.

You can also do stir fry, meat and veggies with a little olive oil. There are loads of things you can do with a single burner.
But it's so much easier to whine and complain about your lot in life than make due with what you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies