Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
You may be actually backing up the argument that they are dumb.

Who graduates even high school in America without knowing what is real food and what is junk food? I think it is cheap, easy and they could be too lazy to cook.
Here is your cookie, oops, I mean granola bar. Not everyone knows everything. If one were raised eating frozen food and canned food, one very well could think it's healthy and normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Your family is an exception, but most food stamp users are perfectly healthy, so healthy that they are giving birth at much higher rates than working people.

If food stamps were only given to people with real disabilities, brain tumors and so on, food stamps wouldn't be a problem and such a large chunk of the population wouldn't be living on them.

One problem with the typical food stamp user is that they tend to be in the below average IQ group and have a 5 year old's mentality about nutrition. The sweets and junk food are appealing because they can just pop open the bag and start munching away.

But good food is not more expensive than the food that is empty calories. A bag of carrots is cheaper than a box of donuts, a bag of raw potatoes is cheaper than a bag of potato chips. An apple is often cheaper than a bag of candy or twinkie bars.
Damn, I cannot believe the ignorance of this
Really now, your haughtiness is a joke. Maybe you should get your IQ evaluated- I'm sure many people that have lost jobs & are finding themselves on food stamps could easily beat your ridiculous score.
Btw what business is it of yours or anyone's what people are eating???

Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
People act as if you have to be unemployed to receive SNAP benefits (as they are called now). Most, yes I repeat, most recepients of Food Stamps are working. You simply cannot support a family working 45-50 Hours/Week minimum wage.
If you want to slander a program, critisize the Medical and Cash benefits. To be eligible, you cannot make more than $205/Month and you must have a disability or a drug problem (which is easily obtainable through any Doctor's signature which gladly will take on clients that the governemnt will pay for)

Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
People act as if you have to be unemployed to receive SNAP benefits (as they are called now). Most, yes I repeat, most recepients of Food Stamps are working. You simply cannot support a family working 45-50 Hours/Week minimum wage.
If you want to slander a program, critisize the Medical and Cash benefits. To be eligible, you cannot make more than $205/Month and you must have a disability or a drug problem (which is easily obtainable through any Doctor's signature which gladly will take on clients that the governemnt will pay for)
And that's another aspect of the problem; many of the recipients are the working class poor. Read the book Nickel & Dimed. The minimum wage is not enough for these people to survive on. Really easy to sit back and be judgmental about these people-- but maybe instead compassion is in order.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:38 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
It's amazing how uninformed people are. In 2010 it is estimated that 8 million jobs were lost due to the recession, many of which will never come back. Add to that the jobs that still being outsourced. An estimated 1.2 million homes were lost.

People who are collecting welfare benefits range from all ages who held management positions, come from all races, have different levels of education and never dreamed they would find themselves on welfare, who had use their savings before they could qualify for welfare.

They worked, they paid their taxes, paid their bills, so they are more than entitled to collect benefits. These are people who probably were nutritionally aware and probably try to continue to eat food that is nutritional in value.

Stop taking a brush and painting everyone the same. These aren't people who grew up on welfare where it's something that is passed down from generation to generation and is a lifetyle, these are people who were part of the working middle class, who took the biggest hit from corporate greed.

If you want to go on a mission, go after those who commit medicaid/medicare fraud. Business owners, health care providers, doctors, people in the medical field, to name a few as well as medicaid/medicare beneficiaries who work with the owners, providers and doctors. Fraud has cost the taxpayer over $60 billion dollars a year and it has been going on forever.

Some people should stop and be thankful that they haven't taken a direct hit from the recession where they lost jobs and homes. Things still aren't looking too bright for the future of America and it may take another dive, and you just may be one of them that it touches, and if it should happen, remember when you are filing your papers for your food stamps, you are not alone, and that there are many, many people who are in the same situation.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:50 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissak234 View Post
Why do a lot of you people on food stamps have to spend every penny on junk food? As a cashier, I only see people with EBT buying complete junk... frozen pizzas, gushers and fruit by the foot, candy, ramen noodles, chips, sodas... And not one single vegetable item, no foods that need preparation other than a microwave or boiling water. Even the meats are already prepared and frozen, like Tyson chicken fingers. Is it that hard to just make food? It is cheaper to get veggies and fruits and raw meats anyway. You waste our tax payers dollars on complete junk, because to you, it tastes good and it's free. Lazy and greedy people is what is ruining America.
That's why welfare people are typically overweight and heavy looking.
I want the program shut down, it's a failed program.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:52 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
No it's not. It helps feed the poor and disadvantaged.

It certainly helped me and my family a few times during bad events. Didn't fail us!

Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 AM

434 posts, read 1,165,093 times
EBT/Food Stamps helped me out in my time of need. I've always paid my taxes so it was nice to actually get a little something back when I really needed it.

On the stranger side of things: I was able to eat healthier and spend more money on groceries while using Food Stamps than what I can afford now even with my full-time job....

Old 10-28-2011, 12:57 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
What a good reason to shut it down: because people are overweight and heavy looking.

What do you propose to do with those people that are overweight and heavy looking that work??

I referred to people being uninformed. I should have said ignornant as well.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:23 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

But...but...conservatives say you're not SUPPOSED to be supporting a family on minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies