Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I've noticed that the more extreme a person is in their political views, the less likely they are to recognize the hypocrisy in their own opinions. In fact, they are the most likely to spell it "hypocracy", because you know, they favor small government.

Something in their hardware makes them irony-challenged as well. I'm willing to bet that someone could get a PhD dissertation out of a study of the correlation between what kind of comedy people "get" and appreciate and extremist political views.

No doubt about it.

Quote:
..Individual-level political ideology significantly predicted perceptions of Colbert's political ideology. Additionally, there was no significant difference between the groups in thinking Colbert was funny, but conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements. Conservatism also significantly predicted perceptions that Colbert disliked liberalism.
Conservatives Think Colbert Is Serious | Mother Jones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
you know you are a tea bagger when the term tea bagger bugs you..:
Score!!

Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I guess I don't care so much here...its more when I hear it on talk radio and such...seems like a huge double standard. My only reason for being even at all concerned about it is because I think as a whole it hurts the chances of a legitimate 3rd party from ever being successful...not that most of the members of the party don't do that themselves, but its just on a conceptual level that I find it kind of discouraging. To me it just says "Oh, we will always have one of those crazy 3rd parties" without actually using those words.
You sound more like a concern troll.

Tea bagger is not a sexually explicit term unless you wish to MAKE it one. It is merely slang for a member of the so-called "Tea Party".

Whining about its interpretation only shows how thin skinned conservatives are.

The old saying "you can dish it out but you can't take it" applies.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:37 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

Tea bagger is not a sexually explicit term unless you wish to MAKE it one. It is merely slang for a member of the so-called "Tea Party".

You are allowed to have your own opinion, regardless of how far off base from reality it is.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:40 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
What's a liberal then?
I don't know, so why don't you start your own thread - "You know you're a liberal if..." I get the feeling liberals would have an easier time laughing at themselves, unlike the apparently humorless tea baggers. You guys probably get offended by those "You're from *insert state/city* if" blogs too, huh?

If nothing else, the liberals do generally have a sense of humor! I know I'd laugh, especially if you threw in jokes about hippies and people with 10 degrees in nothing useful - those are easy shots, LOL.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-20-2011 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 02:56 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

And how often do we read the terms "*******" and "neocon" on here? So clearly it's not just a shot at third parties, since we have nicknames for every political persuasion... stupid, perhaps, but certainly not worth getting our panties in a twist over it.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:33 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And how often do we read the terms "*******" and "neocon" on here? So clearly it's not just a shot at third parties, since we have nicknames for every political persuasion... stupid, perhaps, but certainly not worth getting our panties in a twist over it.
I don't think I'm getting my "panties in a bunch" here...in fact I've gone through this entire thread without name calling or stereotyping unlike many others. And it IS a third party issue for me. I could care less about the Ds and Rs getting name called...they are established parties that aren't going anywhere soon (unfortunately) so to take the new party and completely demonize it (which some of the members of it make really easy to do sometimes) it causes concern for me because it creates a higher barrier to entry for any other third parties...perceived or real.

I also see that the OP here was majorly edited down, which takes a good deal of context away from the original conversation.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
That is what is most commonly taught/discussed in my experience. Between school (elementary through college), experts I've listened to on the radio, and at one point the online "CIA Fact Book" listed it that way too, but they have changed it since I last looked.
I studied comparitive politics back when I was in college and liberal democracy is something that is, or at least should be, extensively covered. More advanced theories about the nature of democracy generally are not taught in K-12. If you google "Liberal Democracy" you will see that it is common in conjunction with Constitutional Republics, including the US so while the US is considered a Constitutional Republic it is also considered a Liberal Democracy

Old 09-20-2011, 04:01 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Thank you smart person! This claim that we aren't a democracy must be a talking point from right-wing radio because I have had many of my far right Republican friends claim that the US is not a democracy but a republic as if the two were mutually exclusive.
It usually comes up when conservatives claim we are a democracy, and thus majority vote rules. They are then reminded we are a not a direct democracy, but a Constitutional Republic. While yes, it's still a type of democracy, it's not the type conservatives think of when they claim that the majority of the population should dictate laws and morality.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:05 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Personally, the double standard bothers me...I'm more of a Libertarian (maybe 90%) and a mix of other things, but certainly not "one of them" however the idea that we can use a sexually derogatory term to define one party seems a bit crass and as if there is a double standard. I mean can I call Republicans bu** Fu*k*rs, and Democrats Sod*mizers if I want? I dont think that would be allowed in 99% of the places that allow the Tea B*g*er term.
You do realize the Tea Party and Fox News were the one's who actually created the term based on a statement by Tea party members that they were going to "Tea Bag the Liberals" right?

If you have a problem with the terminology, blame the Tea Party - they started calling themselves that before they knew what it meant, not liberals.

Keith Olbermann Reminds the Teabaggers that They Coined Their Own Name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies