Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 06:28 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Wait until they become the predominant voting bloc and bring in "progress".

Those Ozark hillbillies won't even recognize home as they knew it.
Luckily, that wont ever happen, its just too hard to make a living in the Ozarks for the transplants. (thank goodness!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 06:36 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
I love how this thread has just devolved into city dweller hate thread. It's really sad that so many of you on here are so insecure about your own background and culture that you find it necessary to set here and bash where other people come from. I've lived in the city, the suburbs, and the country. They all have their good and bad parts. For my money I like the city a lot more, but I miss the quiet of the country sometimes.

Honestly it all comes down to what you like and what your interested in. Frankly I got bored and restless in rural south Georgia and I never want to go back, but I don't begrudge the people who lived there. If you want to live in the sticks, go for it, but quit acting like you're a superior person because you don't live in an urban area.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I love how this thread has just devolved into city dweller hate thread. It's really sad that so many of you on here are so insecure about your own background and culture that you find it necessary to set here and bash where other people come from. I've lived in the city, the suburbs, and the country. They all have their good and bad parts. For my money I like the city a lot more, but I miss the quiet of the country sometimes.

Honestly it all comes down to what you like and what your interested in. Frankly I got bored and restless in rural south Georgia and I never want to go back, but I don't begrudge the people who lived there. If you want to live in the sticks, go for it, but quit acting like you're a superior person because you don't live in an urban area.
You must have missed the posts that said some really ignorant things about rural folk.
There were quite a few of them.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:19 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You must have missed the posts that said some really ignorant things about rural folk.
There were quite a few of them.
Yes, especially the one that called us obese eaters of pigs knuckles.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
Quote:

I suggest you reread the thread. The "enlightened city dwellers" went out of their way to get the hostilities rolling. Comments such as "rural folks should stick with farming and leave the governance to others" do little to encourage polite responses.

Where is your criticism of those that chose to demean rural dwellers? If you're truly interested in polite discourse rather than just lobbing criticism at the "other guys" there are plenty of examples of repugnant behavior on the part of the urban crowd that are more than deserving of condemnation.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
How's about because the only time Government gets involved in rural life is when they want money via new fees and regulations that require money to process paperwork or tags or pay for inspections ?

Spend money though and cities get first dibs. Cities even got first dibs on the stimulus money earmarked for "rural internet" so go figure.

Rural are usually left to fend for themselves unless the government sees $$$$$ in it.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:25 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,373 times
Quote:

Excellent post, NorthGAbound!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:49 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Luckily, that wont ever happen, its just too hard to make a living in the Ozarks for the transplants. (thank goodness!)
Send them to Alaska. We will show them the memorials to stupid city critters, such as Timothy Tredwell and Chris McCandless, and then we will tell them that this is what awaits them.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:

I have not seen any post claiming they were superior, only more self-reliant, more independent, and more in touch with reality. All of which is true.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have not seen any post claiming they were superior, only more self-reliant, more independent, and more in touch with reality. All of which is true.
And more ignorant about the ways of the world. Don't forget that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies