Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
As I am often amazed that "country folk" think they are so much more American and better than those who choose to live in urban surroundings.
Your personal bias is coming through loud and clear. You give the condescending attitudes of the rural bashing urban crowd a free pass yet continue to criticize the rural folks for responding in kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Do you really believe the stuff you write? Or did you pull that out of some cornpone country folk vs city slickers manual?
Lol, I'd be willing to bet that the closest you have been to the earth lately is the Buckmans farmers market.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:09 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Have you been to rural America? If you have, the answer should be obvious -- it's ignorance.
Ignorance doesn't fall to far from the cobb stalk does it..

Old 09-24-2011, 08:48 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Your personal bias is coming through loud and clear. You give the condescending attitudes of the rural bashing urban crowd a free pass yet continue to criticize the rural folks for responding in kind.
No, what I tire of us is the whole inferiority complex that many rural Americans have with the whole "oh city slicker in your black shiny car think you so much better than me cuz you gots fancy college 'grees n' stuffs, well I can farm and live off the land." It's a persecution complex, so many country slickers think that everyone from the suburb/city is mocking them or looking down on them, they constantly whine about this. But then to sit on this thread and do the exact thing you complain so mightily about is tad hypocritical. Most of the "city slickers" on here rarely complain about being "looked down upon," so when they talk trash at least they're not being hypocrites.

I also tire of the "oh po' city slicker couldn't last a day out heruh in these parts." Please, just because I don't live in a trailer or on a farm doesn't mean I can't handle myself. I grew up in a suburb that was literally 5 minutes away from being in farm country, anyone from my part of Minnesota can attest to that. I've also lived in Southern California, Virginia, rural south Georgia, and now I live in the city in north Georgia. Stop with the arrogance. Or at the very least don't whine when it's dished right back to you.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:51 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
And no one has said that at all.
It would be folks that share this attitude that I would be highly wary of sharing anything with if the supply grid shut down suddenly.
Tell me, do you have the wherewithal to feed you and yours if it did happen?
Yes. Just because I don't live on a farm currently don't assume I don't know what I'm doing. Contrary to your false black/white world where everyone is either a real 'Merican living off the land without the oppressive guvmint intruding on their lives or a limousine ridin', latte sippin' opera attendin' effeminate liberal some of use who live in a city setting can manage to adapt to all sorts of different cultures and areas.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:03 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Yes. Just because I don't live on a farm currently don't assume I don't know what I'm doing. Contrary to your false black/white world where everyone is either a real 'Merican living off the land without the oppressive guvmint intruding on their lives or a limousine ridin', latte sippin' opera attendin' effeminate liberal some of use who live in a city setting can manage to adapt to all sorts of different cultures and areas.
You are tossing out a false premise with your second sentence.
Gee, I LOVE opera, does that mean -gasp- I am effeminate?
I must be going straight to hell!
Oh noes!!!!!!!

Old 09-25-2011, 12:09 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
No, what I tire of us is the whole inferiority complex that many rural Americans have with the whole "oh city slicker in your black shiny car think you so much better than me cuz you gots fancy college 'grees n' stuffs, well I can farm and live off the land." It's a persecution complex, so many country slickers think that everyone from the suburb/city is mocking them or looking down on them, they constantly whine about this. But then to sit on this thread and do the exact thing you complain so mightily about is tad hypocritical. Most of the "city slickers" on here rarely complain about being "looked down upon," so when they talk trash at least they're not being hypocrites.

I also tire of the "oh po' city slicker couldn't last a day out heruh in these parts." Please, just because I don't live in a trailer or on a farm doesn't mean I can't handle myself. I grew up in a suburb that was literally 5 minutes away from being in farm country, anyone from my part of Minnesota can attest to that. I've also lived in Southern California, Virginia, rural south Georgia, and now I live in the city in north Georgia. Stop with the arrogance. Or at the very least don't whine when it's dished right back to you.
Get real. I've lost count of the number of times your supposedly superior and accepting city crowd have referred to rural residents as trailer trash, uneducated, rednecks, and a host of other intentionally insulting labels. As I pointed out in an earlier response to one of your one sided requests for civility it was suggested in this thread that we should stick to farming and leave governance to others. Remarks like that do not encourage polite discourse yet you voice no objection to them.

Despite the scores of negative remarks directed at those of us that choose to live somewhere other than cities you can only find fault with our responses. Your feigned indignation is an utter load of crap.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hey- that's a beautiful thing! A junkyard! That looks like a '49 Ford to the right. I think I see a '70 Buck Skylark and a '57 Chevy in the back.When I was a kid, I used to love to investigate junkyards for old auto parts. I really miss (even as a wealthy 50 year old) the lack of junk yards to look for good parts. Heck, we used to shoot rats with .22 rifles in dumps for entertainment; now there are only landfills and no open dumps, which deprives a generation of that sophisticated form of entertainment.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old tires propagate disease spreading mosquitoes, rats breed very well and are able to share the diseases they spread, ......................

I have seen many rural homes along highways that look as bad, or worse, than the picture I posted. Europeans, who visit America, comment on this and make it a joke when they return home.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:14 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Old tires propagate disease spreading mosquitoes, rats breed very well and are able to share the diseases they spread, ......................

I have seen many rural homes along highways that look as bad, or worse, than the picture I posted. Europeans, who visit America, comment on this and make it a joke when they return home.
Then turn off that highway and drive onto some roads where beautiful homes are.

I would not have built near the highway either.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:33 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Yeah,...like there's no urban slums that are worse than the picture posted. How many slum pictures would you like to see? The internet/news is full of them.

Would you care to comment on the burned-out cars, vacated buildings, and rows of slum housing? Or, are you contending that "rats and mosquitoes" only live in the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies