Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:59 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Do you really not know the difference between the word increases, as it's on the way in a measurable amount, and possibly expected to increase, as a wild guess of what might happen?

Then claim it's on a report that is absent. Take the singular percentage increase and multiply it over a number of years, which is not stated in the Millman report according to the article. Add into that wild assumptions about inflation (7-8% seriously, is this journalist high). Compounded increases doesn't allow you to add all those totals together either to come up with a total percentage increase over a few years, that's why there is an equation derived to calculate it.

Not just a failure to understand mathematics, but this is just sleazy reporting.
Um, the report says
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][LEFT]It should be noted that these increases will be in addition to regular expected healthcare inflation. The 2011 Milliman Medical Index reported 7% to 8% annual trends for the fourth year in a row.

So now quoting facts you dont want to hear is "sleazy reporting" Give it a break. Obamacare is skyrocketing premiums and the cost of healthcare just like predicted and you guys still sit here in denial supporting such failed policies.[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 06:03 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It should be noted that these increases will be in addition to regular expected healthcare inflation. The 2011 Milliman Medical Index reported 7% to 8% annual trends for the fourth year in a row.
This statement does not exist in the article. Feel free to plug it into a ctrl-f with it open and see. Please refrain from just making crap up.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
how it feel to be wrong so often with your postings? This isnt why they are going up, this is why they are going up MORE than they should be.

Note the
The increases do not include medical inflation which has been pushing health care costs up about 7 to 8 percent a year.

In my original post
Err.. from my link ... which incdentally has links to further actual information.

"In addition, monthly insurance premiums grew by 128 percent, to an average of $1,115, and out-of-pocket spending surged 78 percent.". Notice the and there. That was a 10 yr period 1999-2009 ... wait a minute, when was Obamacare signed?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
This statement does not exist in the article. Feel free to plug it into a ctrl-f with it open and see. Please refrain from just making crap up.
Right from the article, The increases do not include medical inflation which has been pushing health care costs up about 7 to 8 percent a year.

The information is from the report
http://www.ohioexchange.ohio.gov/Doc...imanReport.pdf

Do you not understand that a reporter is reporting on a REPORT

Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
I don't know about anybody else, but my health care costs WILL go up because of Obamacare. The most effective way for me to pay for my health care is a high-deductible insurance policy. That way, I could simply pay cash out of pocket for routine and minor expenses, saving the claims overhead and drag from the insurance company--which necessarily has its own layer of expenses.

Almost inexplicably, Obamacare criminalizes paying cash for routine medical expenses. Is this what our ancestors fought and died for?

And the brain-dead apologists for Obamacare act like this is a good thing-- they say everybody with insurance gets "free" annual physicals and preventive care! They must believe in The Preventive Care Fairy who makes these things possible.

Too bad Obamacare didn't include a "free" limo ride to and from all medical appointments.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Err.. from my link ... which incdentally has links to further actual information.

"In addition, monthly insurance premiums grew by 128 percent, to an average of $1,115, and out-of-pocket spending surged 78 percent.". Notice the and there. That was a 10 yr period 1999-2009 ... wait a minute, when was Obamacare signed?
No one said healthcare costs weren't going up prior to Obamacare being signed. We are talking about how much they are going to go up OVER AND ABOVE what the "average" increase which was taking place.

Do you not understand elementary math?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:09 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Seems to me Socialized Medicine would be cheaper. Health Care should not be the employers responsibility

Old 09-21-2011, 06:12 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
No one said healthcare costs were going up prior to Obamacare being signed. We are talking about how much they are going to go up OVER AND ABOVE what the "average" increase which was taking place.

Do you not understand elementary math?
Where in the study does it say "over and above" what has been happening for decades. Oh, I forgot, you have no study to link to. By the way, I couldn't find it on the Milliman web site. Since they are the ones that supposedly did the study, I expected to be able to find it. Unless it's a "Super Secret" in house Taylor study.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Where in the study does it say "over and above" what has been happening for decades. Oh, I forgot, you have no study to link to. By the way, I couldn't find it on the Milliman web site. Since they are the ones that supposedly did the study, I expected to be able to find it. Unless it's a "Super Secret" in house Taylor study.
It should be noted that these increases will be in addition to regular expected healthcare inflation. The 2011 Milliman Medical Index reported 7% to 8% annual trends for the fourth year in a row.

Do you know what ADDITION means, and who the hell said for decades.

maybe you dont understand elementary math after all.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:16 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I agree, as do many others. But how? The AMA, Trial Lawyers Assoc., Pharm industry and insurance industry are united in the cartel and have no intention of budging. They are the "robber barons" of the 21st century. So, how do we start the castle burnings?
The "AMA" does not dictate charges, number of physicians, number or medical school or residency slots, or practice policy. It is a political lobby group, mostly left wing, composed almost exclusively of primary care docs. Most physicians are not members of the AMA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies