Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:18 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So, would $1 work for poll tax that "conservatives" like you support? Or would it only get $1 worth of rights?
If that $1 was their total federal income tax liability via the flat tax percentage that EVERYONE pays, then they get a vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
How about....

If your tax refund is more than, or just as much as they withheld, you don't get a ticket to vote... LOL!

Skin in the game, wakes people up.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How about....

If your tax refund is more than, or just as much as they withheld, you don't get a ticket to vote... LOL!

Skin in the game, wakes people up.
Exactly. People only care about the government's fiscal responsibility when it's THEIR tax dollars that are being spent.

The freeloaders just want more and more at others' expense.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Anyone making under $1 million should not be allowed to vote. Or their vote should count only partially by the amount they make. For instance, 100k poor slobs should only get 1/10th a vote, etc.
Great idea. But let's start with those that voted for obama - after making such a horrible mistake, they might need some remedial civics lessons.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:17 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Poor people shouldn't be "allowed" to vote so long as rich people are not allowed to bribe.
Now, now. No one likes an uppity peasant.

"It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave..." Moody Blues

Old 09-21-2011, 10:19 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI*TEA View Post
Anyone making under $1 million should not be allowed to vote. Or their vote should count only partially by the amount they make. For instance, 100k poor slobs should only get 1/10th a vote, etc. Someone screwed up the constitution. We need an amendment ASAP.
We own and run this country . Dont dare try to tax us more or we will take away your precious Medicare!!! And your social security!!
If we're gonna judge it by individual income, then don't stop there. Instead of electoral votes by population, let's decide the number of electoral votes a state gets, by the amount of tax dollars its citizens contribute to the federal budget. Of course that would probably leave out most of the "red" states that are currently being subsidized by everyone else. But hey, everybody's gotta pull their weight... it's only fair!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
THAT'S the problem. Those who pay no federal income tax should not be able to vote in federal elections, period. If a rich person pays no federal income tax, then they DO NOT get to vote. Poor, rich, ...makes no difference.
That would be unconstitutional. In fact it surprises me, though it shouldn't, that some posters in this thread who have claimed to be "Constitutionalists" or "Pro-Constitution" would advocate for something that is this blatently unconstitutional as preventing people from voting on account of not paying a tax.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,262 times
I want Kings and Queens back who rule with an iron fist and exploit the lower classes for their own enrichment. Instead of making such rule hereditary, it should be based on wealth.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:44 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,104 times
People aren't voting anyway. If a "poor person" is out there voting, you gotta give them credit. Poor people are generally under-represented in politics and in voting. Poverty (or close to poverty) has been linked with that kind of thing - lack of involvement in community and things like civil duties. So, if the poor folks are making their way into the polls, good on them.

I wanted to think that this was a joke thread, but I don't think it was. I don't think any of us are perfect, but the Constitutional right to vote should not be tampered with. That is democracy.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:55 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That would be unconstitutional. In fact it surprises me, though it shouldn't, that some posters in this thread who have claimed to be "Constitutionalists" or "Pro-Constitution" would advocate for something that is this blatently unconstitutional as preventing people from voting on account of not paying a tax.
I agree and I am noticing this trend as well. I see it online and offline. I have conservative views, I don't like a lot of liberal approaches, but I do know the framework of the country. There are people who are patriotic and use the "Don't Tread On Me" motto, but they are the same people that try to limit the rights of others in the U.S. It can't be that way. They basically get ofended when THEY feel violated, but they don't mind violating other people's rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies