Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I never said the victim committed a crime.

I'm arguing there is enough reasonable doubt to not put the man to death. I'm arguing that a society that has deemed murder as illegal and immoral should not have state sanctioned murder as a punishment.
I think that somewhere in our written laws we find the words about a jury of his peers. In this case the jury was made up of 2 more people of one race than the other and they still said after listening to all the testimony that he was guilty. A number of courts looked over the case and all said that it was all done legally.

Right now we are arguing left leaners against right leaners and surely you will come to see what is going on. Can you show me some real polls where the death penalty was voted against other than some by lefty internet sites and the like? Look over the pollster before you show me anything.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Convicted criminal does not always equal guilty man.

Convicted criminals should not be killed by the state. Guilty or not.
Well, it is and if you want that to change, change the law. Until then, the DP is appropriate for the crime.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times
Quote:
I never said the victim committed a crime.

I'm arguing there is enough reasonable doubt to not put the man to death. I'm arguing that a society that has deemed murder as illegal and immoral should not have state sanctioned murder as a punishment.
There are all kinds of situations in which life is taken but that does not constitute murder. Capital punishment is not murder any more than self defense or abortion are murder.

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that somewhere in our written laws we find the words about a jury of his peers. In this case the jury was made up of 2 more people of one race than the other and they still said after listening to all the testimony that he was guilty. A number of courts looked over the case and all said that it was all done legally.

Right now we are arguing left leaners against right leaners and surely you will come to see what is going on. Can you show me some real polls where the death penalty was voted against other than some by lefty internet sites and the like? Look over the pollster before you show me anything.
I hadn't realized that peer meant someone of the same color. Thanks for the explanation.

Have NO clue what you are trying to say in your second paragraph. Sorry.

JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
When will you people understand that state sanctioned murder is the height of hypocrisy?
Doesn't seem to matter, does it?

Murder is murder, sure. But as long as there's a judge and jury behind it, it's ok.

Figure that one out.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:25 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
When will you people understand that state sanctioned murder is the height of hypocrisy?
Murder? Do you really know what that is.

Let me hear what you think about the murder of fetuses, just in case you don't see it the way I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, it is and if you want that to change, change the law. Until then, the DP is appropriate for the crime.
Legal is not synonymous with appropriate. I'm sickened that you are saying it's a-ok if some innocent people are killed under DP laws.

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I do believe that's true.

My, what a contradiction. First you talk about all those innocents sitting on death row (the victims (murderers), while never really mentioning or shedding a tear for the REAL victims) and then claim this thread is about Davis......Doesn't make much sense from here.

Ok for YOU to talk about your kind of victims, but not ok for others to talk about the REAL victims.
nothing can be done for the real victims.. that's what YOU don't understand.. their lives were taken unjustly, cruely, and horribly YES.. but they are dead! there is nothing that can be done restitution wise FOR THEM.. by killing the person that did this.. we are not providing justice for that dead victim.. THEY"RE DEAD! nothing of value goes towards the victim by killing the killer..
it only makes those of us at home who are outraged feel better about the situation... it's pitch fork and lantern mentality.. it's not justice.. there is no justice when someone commits murder.. there just isn't.. because death is final for the victim AND the murderer if they are put to death by the state as well... there's no chance for any good.. it's a lose lose..
so while I understand the voice for the victim.. and believe me I do.. nobody deserves to be murdered in cold blood for just doing their job..
what you need to understand though is.. the person that deserves justice is gone and nothing can properly undo what has been done... NOTHING.. not even killing the killer.. because by killing the killer.. now the blood is on our hands as citizens of a nation that supports such practices

Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
There are all kinds of situations in which life is taken but that does not constitute murder. Capital punishment is not murder any more than self defense or abortion are murder.
Fair enough.

But I still think the DP is hypocritical when carried out by the state.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Murder? Do you really know what that is.

Let me hear what you think about the murder of fetuses, just in case you don't see it the way I do.
ACK

Please. Stop with the abortion crap. If you want to discuss abortion, start a thread on it. THIS thread is about the DP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies