Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:22 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times

Advertisements

It all comes down to whether the teacher disciplined him for the content of his expression or really was just trying to keep him from being disruptive.

We need more facts.

Anyway, the punishment was rescinded so it's moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyone57 View Post
I was going to say the same thing. What if he was a outright racist and was vocal about it? Would that deserve disciplinary action?
The kid is an assshole - big difference.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Discipline for your beliefs????

Big Brother has long been here and now is exerting his powers even more so with each passing day.

Thirty years ago if he had professed the opposite he may have been in trouble too.

Ft. Worth ought to sit in the corner with a Dunce Cap for a time.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I would file a civil law suit against both the school district and the teacher personally for restricting and punishment, for a Constitutional right.
I would too! This child has the right to believe however they want to believe!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Who says he shouted it? Knowing the facts and making things up are two different things also.
The article infers that the teacher heard the remark. Obviously, the student did not 'whisper' or even talk in a normal tone of voice if his remark was heard by the teacher and everyone else.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:31 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The article infers that the teacher heard the remark. Obviously, the student did not 'whisper' or even talk in a normal tone of voice if his remark was heard by the teacher and everyone else.
Yeah, it's so obvious that the teacher was not close enough to hear it. The teacher was ALL the way at the furthest point in the classroom when the kid yelled it at the top of his lungs.

Let me ask you something, if a homosexual said that homosexuality is normal and other people heard it, should they also be suspended since it goes against the beliefs of others as well?

Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Let me ask you something, if a homosexual said that homosexuality is normal and other people heard it, should they also be suspended since it goes against the beliefs of others as well?
People with such opposing "beliefs" should be educated on reality. More classes for them.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's so obvious that the teacher was not close enough to hear it. The teacher was ALL the way at the furthest point in the classroom when the kid yelled it at the top of his lungs.

The kid should've been slapped upside his head, not downside.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Discipline for your beliefs????
If the class was having a discussion about homosexuality, that would be one thing. Then yeah, First Amendment applies.

But the kid expressing his (ignorant) opinion about gays isn't what's relevent. It's the context in which he was doing it. The kid was being rude and disruptive.

This was a German Language class! The instructor was trying to teach the kids how to say "religion" in German, and this kid chirps up with "I'm a Christian, and I think homsexuality is wrong...blah blah blah" to the kid sitting behind him.

If he's not going to pay attention, he could at least sit there quietly- maybe the kid behind him is trying to listen to the teacher.

I'll bet he's a real pain in the ass, too, with that "I'm a Christian" crapola. Wonder how many times a day in class he hauls that out? I feel sorry for any of his teachers trying to penetrate that thick skull with a little knowledge. Maybe he sould be in the Christain equivalent of a madrassah or something, instead of a public school.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM

419 posts, read 365,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The kid is an assshole - big difference.
Should a person in school not get in trouble for being a A**hole? I don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies