Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:31 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,206,347 times

Advertisements

Now that the Pres. has asked to pass this bill. How do the Repub. in congress get away from the fact that Bridges in the whole country need to be updated and replaced. How do they plan to pay for this work? I don't see any way to avoid this issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 03:15 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Which bridges? Do you have a list of those needing repair? What the the state Depts. of Transportation - what role do they play?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:20 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What bridges? Do you have a list of those needing repair?
Yep, this...

was just a fluke, an act of terrorists or a wrath of God. And to short change on a bridge I frequently use on I-30 because there is no money for replacement but only patch work well, it can't be a bridge, certainly an impossible situation in America.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:23 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,810,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Now that the Pres. has asked to pass this bill. How do the Repub. in congress get away from the fact that Bridges in the whole country need to be updated and replaced. How do they plan to pay for this work? I don't see any way to avoid this issue
First if he knew about of the bridges why didn't he spend the money on them instead of Solyndra?
Second what was the stimulus money supposed to be spent on?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
First if he knew about of the bridges why didn't he spend the money on them instead of Solyndra?
Second what was the stimulus money supposed to be spent on?
Yes, some of us were asking the same thing. What the hell happened to all that money Obama spent?

Bridges are generally a local matter.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
This bill creates a wholly owned government corportation in the form of an "infrastructure bank" of which the Congress has no oversight: creating yet another way to subvert the voice of the people in the construction of a shasow government.

This bill attempt to void stated rights by having them sign away Constitutional rights. Constitutional rights cannot be signed away. Did the Constitutional proffessor not know this?

This bill creates yet another Czar postion (see infrastructure bank) as an uncomfirmed position handling potentially Trillion$ of taxpayer money with yet again, no accountability to Congress or the people.

This bill pays back yet another Obama donor/bundler while endangering national security via pushing through a government grant to LightSquared and then rewarding the national wireless network in this bill to same LightSquared. Did I mention LightSquared has also been liked to Soros's hedge fund?

This bill builds the infrastructure for more government and bridges to tyranny.

The game is over statists. We see what you are doing and you will be stopped. Tyranny will not live long in these United States.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:41 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,810,896 times
Quote:
Why can't states fix their bridges?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:49 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Quote:
you state and fedral gas taxes are supposed to pay for it.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:53 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
We built a new bridge that was sorely needed here in Charleston. It was a state issue and other bridges that need replacement should remain a state issue. Why is this a federal issue? I don't understand that.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,805,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
We built a new bridge that was sorely needed here in Charleston. It was a state issue and other bridges that need replacement should remain a state issue. Why is this a federal issue? I don't understand that.
Because most states don't want to raise taxes to pay for it. Building bridges and other major construction projects need to hire tons of people and can be very expensive to do. Many states are barely skimming by just re-paving roads. To get Obama's bill through will be very FDR esque when in a time of high unemployment to get americans back to work, and at the same time making safer and better bridges, roads and infrastructure. It was wildly successful then just like it would be now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies