Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 09:33 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And how many do you plan to replace every week/month because "they lost them" or dropped them or they got stolen ?
They did a pilot program down here and had huge success with it. My first reaction was much like you but apparently it saves an incredible amount of money and allows the teacher to get notes/information to the students much easier. I work in IT and even I raised my eyebrows at first. It really did work and that's even taking into account the damaged iPads. They did have protective cases, etc as I understand. I am seldom surprised but I was indeed surprised when I saw the numbers and evidence of how much money this move saves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 09:33 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree. It's when they join band in middle school that you need proficient music teachers. Up to then it's just theory which any teacher can absorb and teach.
Have a school band club. If they want to join, pay up or find someone willing to help pay and then hire a music teacher to direct the club.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Teaching art is easy. Have each teacher fluent in music theory before they graduate.
At the lower educational levels, this would be fine and I seem to recall it was the way when I was growing up. At the high school level, it would be appropriate to have specialized teachers.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
They did a pilot program down here and had huge success with it. My first reaction was much like you but apparently it saves an incredible amount of money and allows the teacher to get notes/information to the students much easier. I work in IT and even I raised my eyebrows at first. It really did work and that's even taking into account the damaged iPads. They did have protective cases, etc as I understand. I am seldom surprised but I was indeed surprised when I saw the numbers and evidence of how much money this move saves.
For people on the outside it sounds like a huge cost, but just think about scientific calculators. Those can easily run for $200 and middle school and high school students need those. You can get a tablet pc for about the same price that comes with a calculator on it and then get all of the other programs and applications and internet access. Schools could use free resources from the web instead of shelling out huge amounts of cash to buy books or rights to information.

Technology will eventually reduce the cost of education greatly and it is already in the process of starting.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
At the lower educational levels, this would be fine and I seem to recall it was the way when I was growing up. At the high school level, it would be appropriate to have specialized teachers.
Probably so, but it should be a club. Those who want to join can pull together the money to hire a music teacher. The same should apply to sports as well. It should all be clubs and those who want to participate should take care of the cost or look to organizations for help.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Probably so, but it should be a club. Those who want to join can pull together the money to hire a music teacher. The same should apply to sports as well. It should all be clubs and those who want to participate should take care of the cost or look to organizations for help.
At my daughter's school, it is an elective, but comes with a cost. This way the student's can still participate during the school day but the fee is a few hundred dollars and the chorus has a booster club which raises additional funds. Last year they went to New York and sang at the Met. This year to Orlando and next year, they're going to Europe. All covered by the students, fundraising, and parents. It is possible. The teacher's salaries and music is also covered by parents and fundraising.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Teaching art is easy. Have each teacher fluent in music theory before they graduate.
Easy? You know this how?

I thought teachers were supposed to be proficient in their subject matter?

Quote:
Maybe we should apply that to science as well. (Sarcasm)

Come on! The arts are not "fluff".

Old 09-24-2011, 09:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Easy? You know this how?

Only core subjects need proficiency..NCLB.
Art and music are not core subjects.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Easy? You know this how?

Easy because I incorporate art into my classroom and I'm not an art teacher, but I already teach art. Regular classroom teachers are not required to be proficient in music. I'm saying add a course or two before they graduate.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
Quote:

wrong, having taught art because that was my major, its not easy.

Can you teach kids about color theory? how it effects emotion?
how to use paints to create texture?
How to draw still life? Understanding lighting and shadows?
Figure out perspective?

That's not what a normal teacher understands.. and yes the above is what I learned in Elementary school (due to the accelerated courses I took).

Same with music. A teacher must understand how to read and teach music, Needs to know how to play each instrument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies