Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:02 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,460,986 times

Advertisements

i agree, it has to go. Kids have gotten stupider since I was in school and it shows. Badly. What ever happened to Gifted and Talented programs in public school. I was placed in one for mathematics that was more challenging than the regular math courses everyone else took. Most of the teachers are good in this country. The problem is that the parents don't actively participate in their student's educational life. That's the problem. If anything there should be penalties levied against the parents for their kids failure as opposed to the teachers but that wouldn't be perfect either. Education involves 3 people: The student, the teacher, and the parent. If one of them isn't fully committed to the learning process, then it fails. Our problem in the US is that we do not value education in our culture enough. We need to stress that if you do not get educated, you will fail in life. We are falling behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 12:05 PM

88,667 posts, read 44,404,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
What ever happened to Gifted and Talented programs in public school.
They're not politically correct anymore so if they even exist at all, they do not adequately differentiate the curriculum so that those students can develop their potential. Now, they're held back with everyone else to achieve the goals of equal outcomes and social justice.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:08 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,937,040 times
No my kids are in the TAG program. They sit around taking apart toasters and computers and last year learned all there is to know about global warming.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,252,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They're not politically correct anymore so if they even exist at all, they do not adequately differentiate the curriculum so that those students can develop their potential. Now, they're held back with everyone else to achieve the goals of equal outcomes and social justice.
Huh? My niece is currently in a class for excelerated learning. She just started Kindergarten (2 1/2 weeks ago), but the teacher requested to move her into a class that has 1st graders.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:13 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,619,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ours (going back about 30 years ago) was 9th algabra,,10th geo..11th trig..12th calc
Same here, though forty years back.

Haven't had much to applaud the president for lately, but, I do appreciate his announcement today. Definitely a move in the right direction.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Huh? My niece is currently in a class for excelerated learning. She just started Kindergarten (2 1/2 weeks ago), but the teacher requested to move her into a class that has 1st graders.
Is that enough? In my experience, many gifted kids' ability and skill levels are multiple grade-levels ahead of their peers. They need a radically differentiated curriculum that encompasses additional breadth and a MUCH faster pace of learning.

Pushing a kid one year ahead isn't going to do it.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,318,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well Bush wasn't president when I went to school. They did the same thing back then. Of course the push when I was in jr high was the pod system where we were put in a new school with big circular rooms and dividers splitting it into fours. Nice access to tossing stuff back and forth at each other is about all that achieved.
Again, who do you think made the decisions that affected your education?

Old 09-23-2011, 12:23 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,619,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
"The problem is educators' singular focus on equal educational outcomes."

Our schools don't cater to the best students but the worst. If Joey isn't up to speed everybody else must wait until he/she is to move on to the next step. Instead of moving the achievers up they are forced to be held in check. This is the one major problem that isn't being addressed. Part of it is we don't want anyone to have their feelings hurt for not being able to keep up. It's almost impossible to fail a class unless you just don't show up to school. That is how bad it's gotten.
Agree 100%. Enough with the one-size-fits-all nonsense and making sure everyone gets a trophy. Everyone does not deserve a trophy just for showing up.
If kids are smarter than their peers they should be recognzed as such and educated accordingly.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Agree 100%. Enough with the one-size-fits-all nonsense and making sure everyone gets a trophy. Everyone does not deserve a trophy just for showing up.
If kids are smarter than their peers they should be recognzed as such and educated accordingly.
That's not politically correct.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,318,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I never said demographic, or poverty didnt play into the stats

what I said is we NEED to help these kids

in your areas of s.fl (I always thought south florida was more well to do) what are they doing for the kids

if we are to 'blame' the parents. then what is the 'government' going to do to help thse kids

the whole point is it to teach the kids........if they are not learning, there has to be a reason why.................either its a disability(learning delay for which they can get an IEP) or its the parents, or its the teachers.............but SOMETHING needs to be done to help these kids
Every teacher I know would agree with you - SOMETHING does need to be done. However, the "something" that really needs to be done, which is to provide services for these very poor kids, is exactly what so many right wingers on this board want to cut.

Try teaching a child who is hungry. Or is tired. Or is sick. Or is in need of medical attention. Or has no place or time to do homework. Or is being abused by a parent... There are so many things over which teachers have no control. In schools with a 50%+ student poverty enrollment, it's a wonder that teachers are able to accomplish what they do.

Contrary to what many on this forum believe, it is NOT easy to get help for a child in need, particularly is today's challenged economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies