Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:41 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,184 times

Advertisements

The decision to focus on health care was the president's own. It could have been even worse. Some staffers advised him—this was just after the American economy lost almost 600,000 jobs in one month—that he should focus on global warming. (Emphases mine. -Cav)
Mr. Suskind's book is controversial, and some of his sources have accused him of misquoting them. The White House says Mr. Suskind talked to too many disgruntled former staffers. But he seems to have talked to a lot of gruntled ones, too. The overarching portrait of chaos, lack of intellectual depth and absence of political wisdom, from a Pulitzer Prize-winning former reporter at this paper, rings true.

More at the link: Amateur Hour at the White House - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,971,603 times
I know you have a short memory but most people know one of Obama's first acts in office was the stimulus bill that passed long before the health care bill did.

So your point is sort of stupid that he wasn't focused on jobs/economy before healthcare.

Stimulus - Feb 09

Health Care Bill -Mar 10

Old 09-23-2011, 08:49 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I know you have a short memory but most people know one of Obama's first acts in office was the stimulus bill that passed long before the health care bill did.

So your point is sort of stupid that he wasn't focused on jobs/economy before healthcare.
All the 'stimulus bill' did was pour money down a hole. But, as the pull quote relates, some of his advisers wanted him to jump on global warming first thing. That is aggressively stupid.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:49 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,247 times
We don't have to read the book to know that this President is an amateur. Real leaders don't need to go out and whine ad blame..they step up and take the challenge and find solutions. This job is for people who want to find solutions, not play games. Even now he is on TV campaigning, where is the leadership?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:50 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,024 times
Quote:

Stimulus - Feb 09

Health Care Bill -Mar 10

Baloney. The first "stimulus" was a payoff to the idiots who put Barack Hussein in office.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,613,939 times
Quote:

Stimulus - Feb 09

Health Care Bill -
Did the OP try to make that point? I don't see it.

I do know that his "stimulus" didn't stimulate, as shovel ready jobs weren't "as shovel ready as we thought" and the unemployment rate shot right past the 8% level he promised wouldn't happen.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
All the 'stimulus bill' did was pour money down a hole. But, as the pull quote relates, some of his advisers wanted him to jump on global warming first thing. That is aggressively stupid.
It wasn't a good bill....very true.

Obama listened to the likes of you and other right wing cultists and made it too small and too loaded with tax cuts rather than infrastructure spending.

He sabotaged is own bill by trying to woo right wing radicals....

what an idiot.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,525 times
That is an interesting assessment.

And really it was wise of Obama not to focus on global warming - that would have been a disaster for the country.

I agree with the sentiment expressed at the end of the article - the next election is the Republicans' to lose and they seem hell bent on throwing at again the same way they did in 2008.

Let's face it, no one expected Obama to become the next POTUS in 2007. Would YOU have wagered against Hillary? I bet he was as surprised as anyone else when he got the Democratic nomination. And once the Republicans offered up a non-electable ticket, the question of who to vote for, well it wasn't even a question: there was only one option.

We voted for an inexperienced President about for the same reasons we voted for Carter. The guy is doing his best to lead the country out of so many messes it's hard to know where to start, and instead of buckling down to see what can be done to improve things, most people and entities are out to see what advantage they can gain from the situation.

I don't think things will get better as long as the political dialogue is characterized by something I'd expect from the Jerry Springer show.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
We don't have to read the book to know that this President is an amateur. Real leaders don't need to go out and whine ad blame..they step up and take the challenge and find solutions. This job is for people who want to find solutions, not play games. Even now he is on TV campaigning, where is the leadership?
Exactly what I've been saying. Where is the leadership? You don't try and make deals with right wing cultists.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:24 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,262 times
Quote:
It wasn't a good bill....very true.

Obama listened to the likes of you and other right wing cultists and made it too small and too loaded with tax cuts rather than infrastructure spending.

He sabotaged is own bill by trying to woo right wing radicals....

what an idiot.

Bingo. The stimulus bill of 2009 was a stop gap intended to stop the hemorrhaging inflicted in the previous eight years and to stop the bleed out of the economic collapse. In Q4 2008 the economy contracted 8.9%. -8.9%!!!! In Q1, where the stimulus bill was released in Feb '09 the economy was still contracting at a rate of -6.7%. -6.7%!!!

In Q2 of '09 the economy got it's leg's out from under itself and bounced back to a manageable -.7%, and has been in a positive track since.

If not for the '09 bill things could have been much worse. And even w/ all of his self-defeating attempts the bill was just big enough to barely put the country back on a neutral to precarious positive footing. The money went to the wrong things and to the wrong people. But it was meant to stop the bleeding. We're still in ICU and if the Republican's and tea party get their way, they'll pull the plug to plunge and destroy the country as they tried to do in the previous eight years.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/nati...dp2q11_2nd.txt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies