Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:51 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
This is the one area private insurance does better: reducing fraud. Medicare should require authorization for procedures/services like HMOs do instead of paying for everything and then deciding it was fraudulent.
A lot of legitimate claims aren't granted for many of the same reasons fraudulent ones are--improper paperwork, caseworker error in judgement, etc. I've seen a number floating around showing 10% of all denied insurance claims are wrongfully denied.

If the question is ten percent of insurance claims are denied wrongfully, versus 10% of Medicaid spending is fraudulent, I'd side with the fraudulent. I'd rather help people who don't need it than deny people who do.

Quote:
It isn't always fraud. Medicare has a history of going back years and applying new rules to old episodes of care and then deciding it was fraudulent. Its a way to make money. Much of Obamacare's revenues were built on the premise of recovering so much money per year. If there isn't enough true fraud, don't worry, they'll make some activities seem fraudulent, just to make the money.
That seems highly speculative. I do want to point out this ignored statement from Politifact that the OP didn't even mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politifact
As Issa said, improper payments can include money paid to the wrong person or for procedures that didn't happen. But there's more to it than that. About a third of Medicare's improper payments are the result of a claim not having enough, or proper, documentation. Upon further investigation, many of those claims are ultimately deemed proper. One example is a payment based on a claim by a doctor who submits forms that are illegible.

Also, not all improper claims can be completely recouped. For example, say a surgeon was paid $10,000 for an inpatient procedure when Medicare only reimburses for an outpatient procedure that costs $5,000. The government wouldn't recoup the full $10,000, just the $5,000.

In other words, the government wouldn't end up with $125 billion even if all improper payments were eliminated for all those services, including Medicare.
I'm going to rundown that 10% number of insurance claims in the next couple of days and verify it's accuracy. I've got an early ass morning the next two days, probably won't make it tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 PM

371 posts, read 443,454 times
Oh look... an audit of Medicare ended up costing $102M and uncovered $20M in overpayments. In other words, it cost more than FIVE TIMES as much as it saved. That is some money well spent.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The total amount of Medicare fraud is difficult to measure accurately, because we know that not all fraud is detected and not all of the claims that look suspicious are reported or investigated. According to the Office of Management and Budget, Medicare "improper payments" in Medicare came to $47.9 billion ($34.3 billion in Medicare fee-for-service and $13.6 billion in Medicare Advantage). The Congressional Budget Office estimates that total Medicare spending was $528 billion in 2010.

Medicare fraud of $47B is almost 10% of the total Medicare budget, and no one is all that concerned about it. We all remember ENRON, but we have even more fraud and waste from Medicare, and who knows how much more between Social Security and Medicare.

PolitiFact | Rep. Darrell Issa claims government could save $125 billion by not paying improper Medicare claims

Now we have another government program, and more fraud and abuse.

You'd think the debt crisis would result in crack downs on government waste and fraud. But as jobless claims increase in this jobless recovery, abuses in unemployment insurance have hit record levels. States paid out a whopping $16.5 billion to ineligible individuals last year. During the 12 months from April 2010 to March 2011, overpayments jumped again to 11.6 percent--more than $1 for every $9 paid out, a 1.6 percent increase over the historical average last decade.

Unemployment Cheats Raked in $16.5 Billion Last Year

I think we need to seriously rethink these big government spending programs, either that or we need to demand some real accountability.
There are two schools of thought:

One school is that there are a few fraudsters, so let's chuck the whole program and hurt many people because of the actions of a few.

The other is "punish the ones commiting fraud" and keep the programs that people need desperately. rational people attend this school.

If you think you'll get a groundswell of support for cancelling major programs because there is fraud, well buddy, I have news for hearts and flowers land...the world is full of corruption.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
This thread needs to stay at the top of the forum. Liberals need to be forced into admitting that their beloved Big Government can't get any of it's benevolent ideas off the ground without acquiescing to mega-amounts to fraud, waste, and abuse. It's almost as if Democrats and liberals consider massive FWAB to be the cost of doing business. They should be held accountable for their failed ideology.
Clearly you've read through the entire thread and have studied the discussion at hand, and aren't simply jumping into the middle of an argument with zero capacity to defend it, right?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, in fact I have read the entire thread and I see not one single liberal questioning their benevolent government's ability to be good stewards of taxpayer dollars. Perhaps you can demonstrate your capacity to explain this phenomenon of ignorance by the liberal left?
Strawmen.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:02 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
When they were first touting this nonsense of obamacare they said they were going to pay for it by cracking down on fraud. I guess they haven't started yet.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
This thread needs to stay at the top of the forum. Liberals need to be forced into admitting that their beloved Big Government can't get any of it's benevolent ideas off the ground without acquiescing to mega-amounts to fraud, waste, and abuse. It's almost as if Democrats and liberals consider massive FWAB to be the cost of doing business. They should be held accountable for their failed ideology.
I don't think liberals can admit that their beloved big all-powerful government has any flaws. They believe in government, they put all their faith in Big Government, they trust it, they adore it and worship it. Liberals think it's silly to believe in a God, but they believe and trust in Government completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies