Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 01:57 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,540,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyusslives View Post
I mean, this whole 'The Democrats were racists in 1964 meow cheow' is a red herring in itself. It's a nice deflection from the current topic which is 'Is the current Tea Party racist?' but it isn't solving the question about the Tea Party at all.
In general, some in the TP seem racist.

I like Ron Paul, I doubt he wants to be affiliated with some of the far right radical GOP'ers...hes too intelligent .

far right like Newt Gingrich are chauvinists and just have lousy character flaws. My beef is not with all the Tea Party, just the 99% of it that is now hijacked by the Koch Brothers and corporatists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 02:02 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,475,321 times
Is it racist to not vote for Barack Obama?

Old 09-24-2011, 02:42 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,354,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Ummm Lincoln was pro slavery, but more so pro union which in order to save had to say good by to slavery.

people have an unrealistic view of who and what he was, mind you he came to the right conclusion.

As to civil rights ... really? The Kennedy's started it and Johnson continued. Were there some southern democrats opposed... Some of those Dixiecrats became repugs....
You may want to research the history of the Civil Rights Bill a bit more thoroughly.

There was one particular southern democrat that fought it tooth and nail, and he was Kennedy's VP.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:44 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,422,059 times
And there's no mistaking which party deliberately encouraged Southern racism with the infamous "Southern Strategy", which was actually admitted by former RNC chairman Ken Mehlman.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:52 PM

313 posts, read 405,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I met Lyndon Johnson on many occasions at DH uncle's house. I did not like him. I have been acquainted with several from Texas. Only know 1 enough to loan him money. He did not have the opportunity to vote for the Civil Rights Act. Another owned the mineral rights to my house and lived down the street. He changed parties, but was not in Congress at the time. Another lived down the street in a dog trot log cabin that he had moved onto the property. Had he been in Congress at the time he would have voted for it.

153 D's vote for 91 against
136R's 35
What difference does it make in 2011 who when and how or if anybody changed parties?

A very wise Republican state senator in Texas once told me that there are good guys and jerks on each side of the aisle. There are folks who want to do good and get the job done and there are opportunists who are in it for themselves.
We need to stop this pissing contest, find the good guys and start solving this mess. Well intentioned people can get a plan that most of us can live with.
what difference does it make? well, the fact that I am tired of the current racism from the Dems. This is where my problem is.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:08 PM

97 posts, read 94,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
The initial Tea Party emerged in 2007 when Ron Paul came on the scene and spoke quite loudly at GOP debates about anti militarism and the US' foreign policy and educating the public on "blow back". So, let's get it clear -
when you throw around who you "think" is racist - at
least know who you are talking about
Wait, are you honestly attempting to rebuke my assertion that Tea Partiers are racist by referring to Ron Paul, a Republican who publicly spoke out against the Civil Rights Act, really? Seriously?

Quote:
As far as the "Deep South" synonymous with the New Tea Party - remember TP Darlin' Palin is from Alaska

The immigration/TP folks of Arizona "immigration law fame" a lot of those folks are Midwest
transplants. Practically ALL of Arizona is......except the
native American Indians and the Hispanics.

So easy to bash the deep south when you don't have
the facts.
Dude, I just happen to live in the frikkin' southwest, so while I may not reside in AZ, I still have a pretty good idea about where many of the whites here come from.

And I did not say ALL TPers are from the south, I said MUCH of them are. And what I was implying by that statement, is that the Tea Party's political agenda is born from the confederacy of old. That the mindset didn't die at the end of the Civil War, it lives on to this very day.

Last edited by Gyconi; 09-24-2011 at 05:16 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 05:19 PM

23,798 posts, read 14,924,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metye7 View Post
what difference does it make? well, the fact that I am tired of the current racism from the Dems. This is where my problem is.
We cannot afford whining and blaming. It is a luxury we have no time for.
There are all kinds of attitudes by all sorts of people. The nation is in deep trouble. I don't care whose fault it is. We need to solve problems, not whine and blame. The congress and the citizens need to be looking for common ground. We probably agree on 90% of what needs to happen.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We cannot afford whining and blaming. It is a luxury we have no time for.
There are all kinds of attitudes by all sorts of people. The nation is in deep trouble. I don't care whose fault it is. We need to solve problems, not whine and blame. The congress and the citizens need to be looking for common ground. We probably agree on 90% of what needs to happen.
I am sorry you think racism is something we should look past, and not worry about. but, maybe you yourself are racist and that is why you want us to forget about how we are treated.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyconi View Post
Wait, are you honestly attempting to rebuke my assertion that Tea Partiers are racist by referring to Ron Paul, a Republican who publicly spoke out against the Civil Rights Act, really? Seriously?

Dude, I just happen to live in the frikkin' southwest, so while I may not reside in AZ, I still have a pretty good idea about where many of the whites here come from.

And I did not say ALL TPers are from the south, I said MUCH of them are. And what I was implying by that statement, is that the Tea Party's political agenda is born from the confederacy of old. That the mindset didn't die at the end of the Civil War, it lives on to this very day.
Wait, are you honestly trying to evade the fact that you flat out lied and were called out on it, and now instead of admitting the truth, you try to shift focus?

Old 09-24-2011, 05:41 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,364,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Doesn't change the fact that the tea party is full of straight up racist rednecks.

Are there Democrats who are racist, you bet. Are teabaggers racist, hell yeah!!!
Ok they are racist so what? Presumably they were racist in 2008 and he still won. Now for some reason the Tea Party being supposedly racist is preventing him from leading. Doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies