Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Yes, you are absolutely right Spitzer. It was a setup IMO, but he is not without fault.

I don't think we will have that problem with Elizabeth.
With the exception of Wall Street, NY loved Spitzer. Everyone was incredibly disappointed that he allowed himself to be open for a scandal. It was absolutely a setup, although, he gave them the ammunition they needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 02:39 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Well if Elliot Spitzer hadn't been stupid enough to get caught with his pants down, we would have someone watching Wall Street banksters very closely. You do realize that he was a major target for Wall Street...dont you? You are aware that they were waiting for something to take him down with...aren't you?

So you would prefer zero regulations and no watch dog for the thieves that caused the debacle that almost took the country over the cliff and just might be on the side of the consumer? That is difficult to believe.
What I find difficult to believe is that you believe
"another federal" agency will be competent

The problem with this agency as well as the Patriot
Act legislation is these type of acts are done in
a knee jerk reaction to something "bad" that already
happened at the federal level. We don't need more
federal agencies - we need less.

And whether you think the agency’s estimated budget for 2011 of $142.8 million
that Obama wants to increase to $329 million in 2012 is no big deal - I do.

That is how these agencies begin, and they just get
bigger, incompetent and ultimately corrupt.

Want to fix what's wrong in Washington? Don't start
new agencies...Fix the stench that already
exists on that "rotten" hill.....

Old 09-27-2011, 02:49 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

exists on that "rotten" hill.....
Well I was against the Patriot Act. Not all agencies are good and productive and not all agencies are bad. Each needs to be looked at individually and judged on its own merits versus some ideological resistance to govt. agencies. IMO

Getting back to consumer protection. I think that would be a valid agency. Love Elizabeth Warren.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

exists on that "rotten" hill
Which is why I am sorry that I cannot vote for Warren in her Congressional race, but I will contribute to her campaign and help get the word out.

BTW...just how will fixing the hill fix Wall Street? I am really curious about how you think that will unfold.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:

I would love to hear him explain how well it has worked out for us when Wall Street was deregulated.
Ron Paul thinks that the free market can cure cancer.

Well, he is a doctor - he should know what ails you You could have gone and met him today and asked him yourself

Ron Paul draws enthusiastic response in New York - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Old 09-27-2011, 02:59 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Which is why I am sorry that I cannot vote for Warren in her Congressional race, but I will contribute to her campaign and help get the word out.

BTW...just how will fixing the hill fix Wall Street? I am really curious about how you think that will unfold.
Yep, I will be donating money as well. Also sorry that I can't vote. Maybe at some point we will be able to vote for her for President.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:21 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,250 times
Quote:
The myth that you are circulating was debunked long ago. You must have not gotten the memo. The fact is that banks are the ones that caused the financial crisis.

Did Liberals Cause the Sub-Prime Crisis?
WRONG!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
so what you're saying is, you get all your news from far-right-wing sources?
Well, I guess, if you want to call C-SPAN tapes recording directly from the foor of the House and Senate and/or actually watching the live action "far-right-wing sources!"

Quote:
So yeah, as long as you think that the banks have nothing to do with the crisis, no, I won't ever take your opinion seriously, and no one else should either. What you have to say about Warren is completely irrelevant, if you actually think that Carter caused the housing bubble and that Bush worked to prevent it.
I never stated that banks "have nothing to do with the crisis." What I pointed out was the base (start) from where this mess started and the why the banks were involved.

Private enterprise will do whatever they have to do to "survive" stupid government policy. Government policy makers are very seldom "bitten" by the stupidity of their actions, so they seem to just go down their own dreamland path of screwing up everything.

Last edited by lorrysda; 09-27-2011 at 03:38 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Yep, I will be donating money as well. Also sorry that I can't vote. Maybe at some point we will be able to vote for her for President.
"If she's true to her words, she'll join me in rejecting contributions from every single Political Action Committee and corporate lobbyist," Khazei said in a statement to the Globe.

"In her opening campaign video, Warren said, 'Washington is rigged for big corporations that hire armies of lobbyists,'" Khazei noted. As the Boston Globe notes, Warren did not take her Democratic colleague up on his offer.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Well I was against the Patriot Act. Not all agencies are good and productive and not all agencies are bad. Each needs to be looked at individually and judged on its own merits versus some ideological resistance to govt. agencies. IMO

Getting back to consumer protection. I think that would be a valid agency. Love Elizabeth Warren.
Very well said! It really annoys me when Ron Paul is so dogmatic about his ideology. Can you imagine if we never had an environmental protection agency? We'd all be breathing and drinking sewage because we know how well these corporations can regulate themselves. Think BP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies