Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,945,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
She should run for president.

We're going to get another 5 years of recession because the Republicans are going to win in 2012 (because lets face it, the Dems are the the biggest idiots ever when it comes to PR). All they can do is cut cut cut, which is going to gut gut gut the middle class. Maybe after 5 more years of Republican BS, the public will realize the private sector impotence at job creation.

Warren for president in 2016!!
You may be right. The only problem is that we have to live in the U.S. between 2012 and 2016 and the damage that can be caused during that period of time we may never recover from. Empires have been lost in less time. If Democrats lose the presidency, but take control over congress. I don't see that as a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It is apparent that your psyche has been soundly and properly infiltrated with the buzzz word "welfare class", therefore, there is no debating with you and ironing my shoe laces will be much more satisfying and productive.
Really sickofnyc - I assume your only sick of NYC because of the taxes

To clearly understand your position, could you please tell me the
definition of the following:
welfare:

^^^ just fill in what you think/know the criteria and/or responsibility of
one who gets welfare is....

Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,385 times
Oh, InformedConsent, since you want to play the "Credibility" card..

FCIC Report 07-13-11

Quote:
Internal Commission documents indicate that Commissioner Wallison used his position to promote a theory of the economic crisis supported by Chairman Issa and put forth by Edward Pinto, a Resident Fellow at the American Enterprise Institute (AEI). This theory, that government housing policy was the primary cause of the nation’s economic crisis, was ultimatelyrejected as flawed by every other member of the Commission.
Quote:
For example, on November 3, 2010, the day after the mid-term congressional elections in which Republicans took control of the House, Republican Commissioner Peter Wallison e-mailed Republican Commissioner Douglas Holtz-Eakin: “It’s very important, I think, that what we say in our separate statements not undermine the ability of the new House GOP to modify or repeal Dodd-Frank.
Quote:
Internal Commission e-mails indicate that Republican Vice Chairman Thomas and hisstaff became worried that Commissioner Wallison was unduly influenced by AEI. In oneexchange, Vice Chairman Thomas’ special assistant referred to Commissioner Wallison as“intractable” and wrote: “Everyone agrees that there is simply no way to make Peter happy.”Later in the exchange, he wrote:I can’t tell re: who is the leader and who is the follower. If Peter is really a parrot for Pinto, he’s putting a lot of faith in the guy." In response, a colleague at Vice Chairman Thomas’ law firm wrote: “I think wmt[William M. Thomas] is going to push to find out if pinto is being paid by anyone.”

Despite repeated claims by Commissioner Wallison that the Commission failed to consider AEI’s position that the economic crisis was caused by government housing policies,internal Commission documents demonstrate that Commission staff went above and beyond infully considering the AEI position, and that all of the other Commissioners—including the three other Republicans—rejected this position as fundamentally flawed.For example, Republican Commissioner Holtz-Eakin sent an e-mail to Vice ChairmanThomas stating: “I continue to think that Peter overplays the mortgage issue.” In addition, the separate dissent issued by Republican Commissioners Thomas, Hennessey, and Holtz-Eakin stated that such “single-cause explanations” are “too simplistic.”
they also discuss ethics violations that Pinto engaged in, during the FCIC.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
I didn't miss them, they're made up numbers.
Your numbers are made up. The GSEs' records would indeed have the correct numbers.

Congressional testimony:
http://www.house.gov/apps/list/hearing/financialsvcs_dem/pinto_testimony.pdf (broken link)
http://www.house.gov/apps/list/hearing/financialsvcs_dem/ed_pinto_testimony_and_attachments.pdf (broken link)
Quote:
You don't seem to grasp the fact that:

A) He didn't get his numbers from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

B) Nobody else at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac agrees with him.

C) Nobody else in the FCIC agrees with his conclusions.

D) Nobody in the GAO agrees with his numbers.
Um... he cites the ACTUAL facts. Both in the article and in his Congressional testimony. If you wish to dispute them, post the GSE documentation.

Just making stuff up and posting it here doesn't cut it.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Oh, InformedConsent, since you want to play the "Credibility" card..

FCIC Report 07-13-11
They rendered an "opinion" with no supporting facts.

Read the 94 page testimony document I linked in my previous post. It's loaded with documentation supporting Pinto's testimony.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 AM

988 posts, read 1,203,368 times
Quote:

We're going to get another 5 years of recession because the Republicans are going to win in 2012 (because lets face it, the Dems are the the biggest idiots ever when it comes to PR). All they can do is cut cut cut, which is going to gut gut gut the middle class. Maybe after 5 more years of Republican BS, the public will realize the private sector impotence at job creation.

You're right. All prosperity, economic growth, innovation, wealth creation, job creation, rainbows, and unicorns originate in the halls of the benevolent bureaucracies.

If only we could borrow trillions more from our comrades in China and spend it on the same failed Keynesian top-down horse crap, we could achieve the gilded utopia that all those dope-smoking Marxist sociology professors told me about!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They rendered an "opinion" with no supporting facts.

Read the 94 page testimony document I linked in my previous post. It's loaded with documentation supporting Pinto's testimony.
LOL

you want me to use Pinto's testimony as evidence that Pinto's facts are correct?

Quote:
The GSEs' records would indeed have the correct numbers.
They would indeed... however, they do not match Pinto's numbers. Pinto is some rogue idiot that makes up pretend numbers.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,119,716 times
Quote:

If we were in the year 2050 and the economy was in the state that it is now, the right wing would not admit that their tax break voodoo does not work. They are never able to give examples of how it has.

While we would totally support Warren, these people would support Ayn Rand for POTUS...if the deranged witch was not pushing up dasies.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 09-28-2011 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-28-2011, 10:21 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,945,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
You're right. All prosperity, economic growth, innovation, wealth creation, job creation, rainbows, and unicorns originate in the halls of the benevolent bureaucracies.

If only we could borrow trillions more from our comrades in China and spend it on the same failed Keynesian top-down horse crap, we could achieve the gilded utopia that all those dope-smoking Marxist sociology professors told me about!
You don't smoke dope?? What type of Hallucinogens are you using?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:21 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,305 times
Quote:
Incorrect. They're pragmatic. Our country simply CANNOT financially sustain a dependent welfare class that has a birth rate 3 times that of everyone else's.

All of the welfare freebies and handouts have conditioned generations of welfare recipients to sit back, breed, and collect more and more.

How is that sustainable? Don't just name call, tell us how liberals plan on financially supporting an exponentially increasing dependent class.
The part you highlight was specifically meant to show just how heartless conservatives are, which I still stand by.

However, I agree with your post. As a liberal, I'm all for scaling back welfare to 25% or less of its current cost. I don't support it for anyone who is able to be productive enough to support themselves. I have a friend whose work in the social services industry awakened me to just how awful the current system is.

My "solution" is without detail since I am not an expert, but I still support increasing taxes on the rich (like the vast majority of Americans do right now) or at least moving them back to what they were before the Bush tax cuts. I also think slowly phasing out welfare programs would force people to be more independent and creative in their quest to make a life for themselves and I know it will be done with riots and plenty of complaints. However we can get to a situation where 80% of our country is middle class is what I would support. Our current wealth distribution is so out of balance with respect to the amount of work that went into creating that wealth that we need to do something. So, temporarily increase taxes and eliminate loopholes for the rich and corporations and wean the welfare class off of their dependency. Moving from unbalanced to balanced is not always pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies