Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 09:22 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,659,234 times

Advertisements

I think it's a real economy. The economy that modern day societies have is based on fictitious wealth. Monetary economies can be fatal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
No. It's just some ramblings of an old man that I forgot his name. It's unrealistic these days to not have a monetary economy

Old 09-24-2011, 03:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I think it's a real economy. The economy that modern day societies have is based on fictitious wealth. Monetary economies can be fatal.
In your own words, what is a resource based economy?

Old 09-24-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In your own words, what is a resource based economy?

A system where resources are available for everybody. This earth is for everybody. Ownership is non-existing, and access to goods, services, and housing is provided for everyone.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:31 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,268,003 times
Make a bill pay a bill.
Make a budget only as large as you can balance.

Our biggest problems are:
#1 Too darn many government employees. We have over 10% of the population on the employment dole. As a percentage of the population that is way over 1000% more than it was before the 1970s.
You start out by firing a third to the private sector.

#2 We can handle the elderly and massively disabled, but we can't give unemployment or welfare for more than a few months. It is unsustainable and some need to go back to relying on family or charities.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:59 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
A system where resources are available for everybody. This earth is for everybody. Ownership is non-existing, and access to goods, services, and housing is provided for everyone.
Sounds like a rebranding of a Marxian utopia, and I don't say that derisively, but that is the world as Marx foresaw it... Well Marx and the United Federation of Planets. Eventually, some centuries from now it may come to pass but we are long, long, long way from such a development if ever.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Sounds like a rebranding of a Marxian utopia, and I don't say that derisively, but that is the world as Marx foresaw it... Well Marx and the United Federation of Planets. Eventually, some centuries from now it may come to pass but we are long, long, long way from such a development if ever.
Yes, I think technology has not reached the phase where it would eliminate the labor market completely. It will not happen in our lifetime.

But, I do think it is a viable option for the fictitious model we have now.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:07 PM

3,408 posts, read 4,450,695 times
You Marxists will never get it. Invade resource rich Canada, and engineer a virus that liquidates 90% of the population of the Eastern Hemisphere and Latin America. Use the Canadian resources to power a war machine to claim dominion over the rest of the Earth. The remaining world population will either be used as slaves(until we replace them with robots) or obligated to live in their pre-Industrial cultural settings(a living museum so to speak), and Americans will enjoy a life of luxury, leisure, and learning.

Only if we break the chains of our simple intellectual and moral naivity can we reach the mental state in which we can see what needs to be done to secure the future of our people. Through strength we will exercise our will. Facism will set us free.

/sarcasm

Old 09-24-2011, 08:40 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,518,380 times
Quote:
I like it as an alternative system which could exist in conjunction with other systems. If it were a normative system, it would obviously conflict with most other ideologies, making them impermissible.

I don't know if most of the advocates of various "post-scarcity" type system tend to treat it as a normative ethical system which everyone must adopt, or if they simply treat it as an alternative system which society can transition to and be a part of, if they find it desirable or beneficial.

I prefer a non-ownership of natural resource paradigm with ownership only attaching to byproducts of labor which are derivatives of the natural resource (but can never includesthe untransformed resource). I neither agree with zero ownership (possession and use is still a form of ownership if it exhibits the typical bundle of sticks characteristics) on one side of the periphery, nor do I agree with the opposing periphery view which has adopted the non-proviso Lockean bastardization which current property rights has gradually evolved into.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:56 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,292,271 times
Default What You Think of a Resource-Based Economy?

It worked so well in Libya that it drew outside fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies