Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:05 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times

Advertisements

We have created a whole generation of black men who have literally fallen out of the educational system into the prison population over drugs. I read a statistc recently that said if a young black man drops out of high school he stands over a 60% chance of winding up in prison. When a young black man is denied a job he has no way to earn a living or gain self-esteem but to sell drugs. I know here in Virginia they are building huge prisons at an alarming rate. Ironically, republican leaders are quick to point out the crime rate has been dropping due to building more prisons. Is this because they have the most likely to commit a crime in prison instead of on the street? How many more prisons do we need before everyone is in jail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 PM

264 posts, read 694,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Yes, it is, and so is the problem of having the highest per capita execution rates in the world. No one in his right mind would want to look at Singapore as having a model criminal justice system...
I confess I'm going by old information here, circa 1987. The individual from whom I heard it had recently returned from Singapore and was under the impression that the country had gotten its drug problem under control. That may have been true then, but a lot can change in twenty years.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:11 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
The "War on Drugs" is lost !!!! What can be done to cut the losses ? Are there viable solutions? I anxiously await your input.........................
Spiritwalker

stop WASTING taxpayer $$$ to combat the dealers. Legalize marijuana the way that the netherlands does. So many states have already voted in favor of legalization. at the very least, let the States decide!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:24 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamite View Post
I confess I'm going by old information here, circa 1987. The individual from whom I heard it had recently returned from Singapore and was under the impression that the country had gotten its drug problem under control. That may have been true then, but a lot can change in twenty years.
No problem. I think a lot of us (of a certain age, at least) have been tripped up here and there in believing that our recollected data were more relevant and up to date than was actually the case. Kudos for the grace of the response in any case...but don't move to Singapore...

Old 08-28-2007, 09:16 AM

264 posts, read 694,988 times
i really think we need to do something to rid our country of drugs. Right now i'm so stoned i can hardly concentrate enough to write this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies