Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Occupy Wall Street Protest Escalates On Eighth Day (VIDEO)

Can someone tell me specifically what the protests are all about and what the result hoped to be obtained?
I'm surprised that you have to ask. Since the Wall Street debacle the investigations are virtually non existent as of course anyone held accountable. The only answers we have gotten is via investigative journalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 12:57 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I'm surprised that you have to ask. Since the Wall Street debacle the investigations are virtually non existent as of course anyone held accountable. The only answers we have gotten is via investigative journalism.
I understand why people are angry with Wall Street and the big banksters. I just have not heard an articulate list of demands and what the protestors hope to achieve.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:04 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I see signs saying stand for something or stand for nothing - so what do these protestors stand for????
eliminate banks? stop foreclosures? stop corruption? end greed? How to get arrested? what?
I haven't seen one sign about ending the wars, or anti Obama.
I don't understand what the point is.
looks like anti-Capitalism and pro cop killers.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:10 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
I understand why people are angry with Wall Street and the big banksters. I just have not heard an articulate list of demands and what the protestors hope to achieve.
Wall Street protesters: over-educated, under-employed and angry

Inspired by Tahrir Square, those who gathered in lower Manhattan are keen to mount a more permanent protest at corporate influence in US politics
Marisa Holmes, a New York documentary filmmaker and community organizer, said she was here for the foreseeable future: "We are the over-educated and under-employed. Our future has been totally sold out. Politicians have failed us and the square is somewhere where we can speak out. This is the beginning. It's direct democracy in action."

Wall Street protesters: over-educated, under-employed and angry | World news | guardian.co.uk

Good for them! The influence of Wall Street money in politics is ruining the country and their future chances at success. These people see it clearly.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Inspired by Tahrir Square, those who gathered in lower Manhattan are keen to mount a more permanent protest at corporate influence in US politics
Marisa Holmes, a New York documentary filmmaker and community organizer, said she was here for the foreseeable future: "We are the over-educated and under-employed. Our future has been totally sold out. Politicians have failed us and the square is somewhere where we can speak out. This is the beginning. It's direct democracy in action."

Wall Street protesters: over-educated, under-employed and angry | World news | guardian.co.uk

Good for them! The influence of Wall Street money in politics is ruining the country and their future chances at success. These people see it clearly.
Well they need to develop a message otherwise it is just a bunch of unhappy people getting in the way. I am not condemning the demostrations. I applaud them, but they need a face and a message to the protests. For example, they should be complaining about lack of investigations, the hoarding of money, etc.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:19 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Marisa Holmes, a New York documentary filmmaker and community organizer, said she was here for the foreseeable future: "We are the over-educated and under-employed."
So, lots of school debt and unmarketable majors and no job prospects? And these actions are how they feel they will best secure gainful employment? And if a bunch of people are indicted on whatever charges, this will create employment for the protesters?

I don't remember a time in my life after about age 14 when I could camp out on a street for several months.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
So, lots of school debt and unmarketable majors and no job prospects? And these actions are how they feel they will best secure gainful employment? And if a bunch of people are indicted on whatever charges, this will create employment for the protesters?

I don't remember a time in my life after about age 14 when I could camp out on a street for several months.
You could if you had no job. It is about time we started protesting the banksters.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:21 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Well they need to develop a message otherwise it is just a bunch of unhappy people getting in the way. I am not condemning the demostrations. I applaud them, but they need a face and a message to the protests. For example, they should be complaining about lack of investigations, the hoarding of money, etc.
At this juncture it wouldn't matter if they had the best, most articulate plan ever devised. The MSM would continue to black it out and not cover it. Why? Because the rich and powerful will always look out for the rich and powerful.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

So they have high student loans and lousy jobs and seem to be going nowhere.

It's not "fix the system"..it's "fix me". They are worried about THEMSELVES. The "me, me, me" generation.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:29 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
You could if you had no job.
If I had no job my job would be trying to get a job, as well as finding other ways to make myself useful, earn money, and learn/train. That is what would consume me.

How is indicting some people going to create jobs for the protesters, if they are "over-educated and under-employed?" Or is it down to nihilism at this point -- they're totally screwed so someone's gotta get punished?

Pragmatically:
--what is the actual message here?
--what would get them to to leave?
--what do they hope to accomplish?
--how do they have such gobs of free time (rich parents?)?
--what actions they're taking out there will help mitigate the "over-educated and under-employed" complaint?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies