Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:35 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,051,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So they have high student loans and lousy jobs and seem to be going nowhere.

It's not "fix the system"..it's "fix me". They are worried about THEMSELVES. The "me, me, me" generation.
How can they fix the system wothout shining a light on it? So much has been swept under the rug that it is not just these young people that should be out protesting...we all should be. Americans have become armchair protestors and have allowed all this to happen. So complacent since the masses have become dumbed down. More people pay attention to garbage such as Jersey Shore (proud to admit that I never watched the crap) than what is happening to our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 01:37 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,916,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
At this juncture it wouldn't matter if they had the best, most articulate plan ever devised. The MSM would continue to black it out and not cover it. Why? Because the rich and powerful will always look out for the rich and powerful.
The fact is that we have alternate sources of news now with the social media.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,230,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
How can they fix the system wothout shining a light on it? So much has been swept under the rug that it is not just these young people that should be out protesting...we all should be. Americans have become armchair protestors and have allowed all this to happen. So complacent since the masses have become dumbed down. More people pay attention to garbage such as Jersey Shore (proud to admit that I never watched the crap) than what is happening to our country.
Remember the TARP vote in 2008 ?
The WH phone system or email system went down due to the number of people calling in to voice their opinions to their Reps.

And it passed. The US Government was going to bail out the banks with billions of dollars.

The very next month elections got held. The outrage subsided because many, many of those that voted YES got re-elected and sent back to DC.

That's when I figured it's every man for himself. People have short memories and vote on who promises them the most.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:53 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,059,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
How come anonymous hasn't hacked into the police and screwed up their communications so the riotors can run wild? I think anonymous is a CIA front myself.
Rioters run wild? Did you see how those people acted over getting sprayed with simple pepper spray? Go ahead and screw up the police comms. Let these protesters deal with some thug ghetto savages that end up running wild due to no 911, no radio comms. I wonder how loud they will screwed when some band of punks is going around gang rapping or beating them just for the fun of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Well, I think these people are brave and doing the right thing. Corrupt banks and subprime loans gave us our current economic mess.
These same people likely demanded, through their elected officials, that banks give these loans to people who couldn't afford them. All in the name of home ownership diversity. You can't have it both ways. You can't have government force banks to give loans to people who shouldn't have them, then get upset when those same banks asked to be bailed out by the government. Don't worry, round two of this non-sense is coming:

Mary Kissel: Justice's New War Against Lenders - WSJ.com

Holder Launches Witch Hunt Against Biased Banks - Investors.com

Here is what the government demands of banks:

Wells Fargo Target Of Justice Department Probe; Agency Alleges Discriminatory Lending

Here are the results:

Wells Fargo Illegally Pushed Borrowers Into Subprime Mortgages, Falsified Loan Documents, Fed Says

NYPD just needs to go home and relax. This situation appears to be a no win situation for NYPD. If that means the criminals take over the streets for a few days, who cares. Let these protesters deal with the muggers, rapist, thieves, etc.. Its time these protesting young people did their "fair share" of time keeping their own city safe. Most probably aren't paying their "fair share" in taxes, so the least they could do is allow the cops to go home to their families while they protect the city for a few days.

Last edited by indy_317; 09-25-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 03:03 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,916,010 times
Viewing these posts it would seem that some are against demonstrations. "Put them in jail without any bond". That seems very unamerican to me, not to mention unconstitutional. Where are the constitution loving republicans?

Old 09-25-2011, 03:12 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,535,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
No arrest the protesters and offer no bail.
lol like they have room on Rikers Island for protestors....in NY ur lucky the 3rd time violent felon gets 8-10..

ah maybe they cld put Jaime Dimon CEO in there, id pay to see THAT video...
"Escape from Alcatraz" wld be mild compared to what would happen thanks for the image

Old 09-25-2011, 03:18 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,535,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
ABC NEWS

ABC News on OCCUPYWALLSTREET day 8 Arrests - YouTube

I was shock when I saw this from ABC, all media outlets have been very quiet
watch Amy Goodman on link tv or free speech tv (FSTV.COM)-its out of Pacifica Ca....u cn get it on satellite or HULU or any net stream for real news...

PBS Ch. 13 in NY used to be good, but lately Charlie Rose show has kissed a$$ on the interview with Timmy Geithner.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:44 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,530,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Viewing these posts it would seem that some are against demonstrations. "Put them in jail without any bond". That seems very unamerican to me, not to mention unconstitutional. Where are the constitution loving republicans?
They didn't get a permit for this so called protest.
If it's about the banks, they should be out in front of Barney Franks and Dodd's house.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:48 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,821,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You could if you had no job. It is about time we started protesting the banksters.
Wouldnt spending your time actually looking for a job be more productive?

Old 09-25-2011, 04:11 PM

7,892 posts, read 9,095,540 times
[quote=sickofnyc;21027750]Wall Street protesters: over-educated, under-employed and angry

Inspired by Tahrir Square, those who gathered in lower Manhattan are keen to mount a more permanent protest at corporate influence in US politics

Marisa Holmes, a New York documentary filmmaker and community organizer, said she was here for the foreseeable future: "We are the over-educated and under-employed. Our future has been totally sold out. Politicians have failed us and the square is somewhere where we can speak out. This is the beginning. It's direct democracy in action."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Documentary filmmaker and comunity organizer and she wonders why she's underemployed. Even in a good economic environment, how many film makers become successful?

Yes Democracy in action meaning that people her age voted overwhelmingly for Obama believing his transforming politics schtick while ignoring the fact that Wall Street was filling his campaign coffers. Next time, become more educated before casting your vote.

The economy sucks now for amlost everyone. Guess what? You're not the only generation that this happened to. In the 70's many NYC workers were laid off and had to reinvent themselves. Thousands that studied to be teachers no longer had that option, so they reinvented themselves.

In the 80's many blue collar workers were laid off as their jobs were outsourced. They learned new skills to become employed.

Maybe Marisa should put down her video camera and learn to operate something that will get her a job.

Top 10 Jobs Employers Can’t Fill In 2011 | Jobi Jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies