Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 02:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times

Advertisements

Dutch doctors complain about long wait for judgments in euthanasia cases

Dutch euthanasia doctors must wait up to eight months to find out if they will undergo criminal investigation.
An “enormous” surge in the number of cases has flooded an already strained reporting system. The Dutch Medical Association calls the situation “serious” and says there is “unrest” among doctors.

__________________________________________________ ____

Sounds like the future of Obamacare should it not be repealed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 03:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Dutch doctors complain about long wait for judgments in euthanasia cases

Dutch euthanasia doctors must wait up to eight months to find out if they will undergo criminal investigation.
An “enormous” surge in the number of cases has flooded an already strained reporting system. The Dutch Medical Association calls the situation “serious” and says there is “unrest” among doctors.

__________________________________________________ ____

Sounds like the future of Obamacare should it not be repealed.
Bizarre that any doctor would want to shoulder that responsibility alone. What happened to "First do no harm...."?

Old 09-24-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Bizarre that any doctor would want to shoulder that responsibility alone. What happened to "First do no harm...."?
As they slip down the slope of what is ethical in their eyes it does seem to get worse and worse.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:27 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Using the word 'murder' in the thread title is dumb.
Reading anything about 'ethics' from a right winger should never be taken seriously...right wingers have no ethnics.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Using the word 'murder' in the thread title is dumb.
Reading anything about 'ethics' from a right winger should never be taken seriously...right wingers have no ethnics.
We have plenty of "ethnics".

Old 09-24-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Sure we do, we think killing the innocent is wrong and that killing guilty murderers if affordable is understandable.

Liberals support killing innocent babies in abortion as an ethical right and yet protest to save the guilty on death row also as a show of ethics. It's pretty much the reverse of what you said. FAIL!

Old 09-24-2011, 03:47 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
As they slip down the slope of what is ethical in their eyes it does seem to get worse and worse.

I think that any physician who has practiced euthanasia is doing so out of compassion, and not for any other reason.

I had an attending from the UK in the surgical ICU where I trained. When the situation was one of 100% mortality, he would hook up a patient to a morphine drip PCA with no limits and told (any awake patient who was able to push the button) to definately NOT HIT the button a certain number of times within an hour, as that would result in a painless and quick death. Often that path was chosen.

I have never practiced euthanasia (mostly for fear of legal repercussions) but feel as those who offer that as option are certainly not criminals and are trying to do the only thing left that they have to offer the patient. The concept of "primum non nocere" may be taken that allowing someone to suffer when the end is certain is doing harm.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I think that any physician who has practiced euthanasia is doing so out of compassion, and not for any other reason.

I had an attending from the UK in the surgical ICU where I trained. When the situation was one of 100% mortality, he would hook up a patient to a morphine drip PCA with no limits and told (any awake patient who was able to push the button) to definately NOT HIT the button a certain number of times within an hour, as that would result in a painless and quick death. Often that path was chosen.

I have never practiced euthanasia (mostly for fear of legal repercussions) but feel as those who offer that as option are certainly not criminals and are trying to do the only thing left that they have to offer the patient. The concept of "primum non nocere" may be taken that allowing someone to suffer when the end is certain is doing harm.
In a situation where euthanasia might be appropriate, there should be committee of professionals to agree that euthanasia is warranted. Having said that, when my mother was gasping for breath while dying from lung cancer I begged the nurse to call the doctor to approve more morphine for air hunger. She quieted almost immediately after the last dose and slipped away peacefully. I am conflicted on this issue. To protect the doctor from a family member who might not have agreed with euthanasia, I still think a committee is the appropriate way to go.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

It seems compassion along with euthanasia is way up.
I bet lots of depressed people would hit that button often. Next day they can't get over the depression since they would be dead.
I think euthanasia is cheaper than treatment, but I don't buy this being ethical yet at all.
I respect your post though and I thank you for it, it was very thoughtful.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:16 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
In a situation where euthanasia might be appropriate, there should be committee of professionals to agree that euthanasia is warranted. Having said that, when my mother was gasping for breath while dying from lung cancer I begged the nurse to call the doctor to approve more morphine for air hunger. She quieted almost immediately after the last dose and slipped away peacefully. I am conflicted on this issue. To protect the doctor from a family member who might not have agreed with euthanasia, I still think a committee is the appropriate way to go.

Well, that would be preferable from a legal protection standpoint. However, in my experience, any "committee" would take a long time to make a decision and by that time it would be pointless. I think that in many instances, the physician can subtly state things (as my attending had in the SICU) and things can be done without involving the legal system. I, for one, will certainly rig up a drip of Propofol or fentanyl to finish things off if death is certain and the only thing to be gained would be more agony. I would do the same for any family member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies