Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 06:49 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times

Advertisements

You are not alone. I am an Atheist and conservative. That's a lonely place to be these days. In case you haven't noticed, the US that was once a secular state, has since the resurgence of religion during the civil war (when "In God We Trust" was first printed on our currency) become more and more a theocracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 07:03 PM

114 posts, read 99,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I'm talking decades of US policy in telling Israel what they should do and to always compromise. I suspect they would be much stronger if we had been a more silent partner. Obama has shown himself to be worse than incompetant in foreign policy. He has not worked in the best interest of the USA and not in the best interest of our allies.

Frankley, Obama is outright dangerous and not to be trusted. I think our allies have figured this out, especially Netanyahu.
We proped them up and trusted them with nuke's so now there actions are a reflection of us, so now we have to micro manage them. If they gave us the nukes back and stopped taking U.S. aid i would not care what they did within reason.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:24 PM

21 posts, read 31,246 times
Israel was created just after the second world war. We moved in and kicked the people that had been living there 3,000 years out.
Since then the Israelis have expanded there borders how many times? We have been part of this injustices from the beginning of course the Palestinians.

We give what $80 billion to Israel per yr but we cannot keep our promise to those about to retire after they have worked hard all there lives paying into a system that is now going under.

Who cares what excuse they use we all know it all boils down to $$$$$

DC is so busy kissing $$ bum I am amazed the leading cause of death in DC is not Diarrhea of the Lips!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:30 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheLine View Post
Why is that our problem?
Because they are a good people and democracy that is our friend in the Middle East. The rest are not.

Are you an isolationist I take it?

Old 09-24-2011, 07:33 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfarmertoo View Post
Israel was created just after the second world war. We moved in and kicked the people that had been living there 3,000 years out.
Since then the Israelis have expanded there borders how many times? We have been part of this injustices from the beginning of course the Palestinians.

We give what $80 billion to Israel per yr but we cannot keep our promise to those about to retire after they have worked hard all there lives paying into a system that is now going under.

DC is so busy kissing $$ bum I am amazed the leading cause of death in DC is not Diarrhea of the Lips!!!
Quite a bit of where they are, along with Egypt and other lands was all Israel long ago.
DC gave half a billion to Hamas and other Palestinian terrorist, then Israel gets bombed by tens or hundreds of missiles and they are forced to respond.
If anything, I don't get Israel's restraint.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:39 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,178 times
I'll admit to ignorance on the issue, and really have no dog in this fight. I've never understood the strong opinions, both ways, on our allegiance with Israel. Isn't their willingness to allow us a military base or presence of some value?

Old 09-24-2011, 07:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
We proped them up and trusted them with nuke's so now there actions are a reflection of us, so now we have to micro manage them. If they gave us the nukes back and stopped taking U.S. aid i would not care what they did within reason.
They can't give back what they never received from us. Israel is said to have developed an A-bomb in the early 1960s and had been aided by the French in development since the 1950s. Nobody knows for sure that Israel has any nuclear weapons and they use that lack of knowledge to keep some afraid of them. They are said to have from 75 - 100 nuclear weapons but nobody knows for sure. They are believed to have developed their bomb in sixth place among the nations of the world, but who really knows.

I was going to say that a reason that nobody ever talks about was that the US and the Soviet Union pushed to get Israel established by the UN. There is no Soviet Union so it seems to me that it is our place to defend them as much as we can. That is in addition to the things you said.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Our President has been backing the Arab Spring which is leading all the former friends to radcial Islam and there also are going our bases of operation for our interests in the Middle East.
Israel is behind us despite Obama throwing them under the bus. If they go you are going to have a hell of a time defending our interest without spending a LOT MORE MONEY.

Israel goes, the cost of defense goes WAY UP.
As it is we are in trouble in other places where Obama had been screwing up.
If a body wasn't drinking kool-aid one might think he was turning the world upside down and inside out on purpose.

One might even conclude that he was acting on behalf of the dreams from his anti-colonialist father if one looked at the allies he has chosen to throw under the bus.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:55 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Quote:
I consider myself a conservative in most ways except I am not very Religious, but I am against gay marriage and do believe that under god should be in the pledge because of tradition. I do think Israel has a right to exist, but I don't understand the disproportional support with give that country. To me Israel is a friend but not our best and not even our top five, more like one on the level of South Korea. I have a few guesses why we support them so much and wanted to know what you guys think?

1. "Religion" many other Conservatives are Christian and support Israel because of the bible. (I think it is wrong to be supporting country's based on religion reasons.)

2. "Party line syndrome" A lot of people from both party support policy's along the part line (I think this is wrong since people should think for themselves.)

3. "Race card" If you question anything about Israel you are quickly called a antisemite. (I don't get why many other conservatives are rightly against people using the "race card" when it comes to other minority groups but than turn a blind eye when Israel does it.)

4. Israel has a large lobby (I think its kind of scary when other country's, even our friends lobby our politicians, I think it creates a conflict of interest that should not exist.)
Amazing: you had five chances and still failed to mention the real reason we faithfully and staunchly support Israel, and give them more money each year than any other country.
Religion has nothing to do with it. If that country adhered to the Buddhist faith, we would still give them whatever they wanted.
Why? Simple. Because they are our lone powerful ally in an otherwise hostile and turbulent region:The Middle East (also known as "the world's toughest neighborhood).
Of course, this could all change if the unthinkable happens and Barack Hussein is allowed to reside on Pennsylvania Avenue for another term. He has pretty much been shown to be a lickspittle for the Palestinians, as evidenced by his request of Benjamin Netanahu to pull-back his borders to pre-1967 War boundaries.
I find this not only to be an absurdly grievous inisult to Israel, but also an excellent insight as to his true nature and agendas.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfarmertoo View Post

We kicked nobody out of Israel. The UN ordered it and after WW II the British started getting it ready to bring Israelis in and Palestinians were moved out, at least some of them. Many stayed there and more would have if the Arabs had not tried to kick the Israelis out as soon as the British Protectorate was dead and they were gone. The fighting was started by the Arabs and they never stopped hitting at the Israelis. Some people think that the Israelis should give the Golan Heights back to Syria but all that would do is to have more artillery and rockets rained down on them just as before they kicked the Syrians out of there. They took the West Bank for the same reason and they have taken and returned many other places over time.

Are you one of those about to retire? I have been that way since 1994 and don't anticipate losing any of my SS money any time soon. If the Congress had stopped spending what they considered excess SS money as it came in we would have in excess of $2.7 trillion in the fund that was supposed to be there. Lets stop blaming our friends for what Congress did to us because it was just what they started doing in the early 50s.

I do see that we agree on one thing, that being that we need to pay our taxes partially in Kaopectate for the lips of the people in our government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies