Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:35 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Berkeley is implementing policy to take race into account in admissions.

So the YR's are holding a bake sale with prices set higher for whites and lower for blacks, native Americans and minorities (Indians were left off).

So, while University of Michigan has already fought their battles on this, the YR's at Berkeley are carrying the flag...

Problem is they are right to oppose the act, but not for the reasons they think.

Using race alone as a criteria, diminishes the accomplishments of minorities across the board.

Using SES is a more valid criteria to use for admissions.

However, remember, the so-called affirmitive action may get you in the door at a Tier-1 school, but your hard work and studying keep you there. So even if you supposedly got in because of affirmative action and graduate, does that mean you should've been there all along?
I wonder if they snicker when they offer to give them FREE to a black person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 11:38 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
That's nice to sad, sadder to think it's actually true. It helps if daddy can make a call to the dean, or plays golf with someone on the board. You may have been in the same sorority or fraternity as the guy doing the hiring. Someone may like that you played football in college.

We're talking about education here. And the Europeans seem to be just fine in the NBA...

No, Europeans are just fine with merit, no whining, no crying.

Hey, connections happen. As I pointed out, no one is on a level playing field. Do you think Jesse Jackson's kids have connections my kids will never have? You betcha, I'm not going to whine about it, that's life. As I tell my 7 year old, life isn't fair. Someone elses privilege doesn't affect your potential for success. All those disadvantaged at the admission process ask is, the playing field not be tilted anymore than it already is.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
By relaxing the entry requirements, but not the standards at the college itself once they are in.
And swell the ranks of young people in debt up to their eyeballs.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
And who's going to pay for this?

It's more and more an issue of SES and homelife than color.

NY has excellent 'magnet' schools that build up kids from a young age.

But a smart kid, by themselves alone, can only do so much.
Pay? Why not have volunteer programs?

Old 09-25-2011, 11:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
So it's okay to talk about this but if one who is white points out that there is a higher proportion of blacks on welfare than whites, they're called a racist? Makes no sense to me. Yes, black families generally do not have as much money as whites, but that is not anyone's fault except the specific family, just like it's a poor white family's fault for not having enough money to send their kid to college. I don't support different prices or admissions requirements for anyone based on race or SES, we all need to be held to the same standard. What are we teaching about life if we start doing this kind of thing? It's okay to be subpar if you're a minority or poor, you'll still beat out the white and/or middle class or rich guy? It's all very racist and discriminatory.
Actually yes. Just look at lawsuits brought up against the cops and firemen.
Civil Service tests have been changed when too many minorities fail them and in some cases dropped so they can hire a "diverse" set of employees.

Yes, it's ok to be subpar because we've lowered the bar for you and treat you special.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:46 AM

As an aside I remind everyone that, contrary to the education blob's propaganda, one need not necessarily have a college diploma to be 'someone'. There is no dishonor in learning and practicing a trade. Hell, some riveters make more money than some lawyers.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:46 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
I think socio-economic status could be used. The thing is, if you can't cut it in med school, you're not going to last long there.

I would never let my daughter mark the 'race' category on any admissions sheet, just for the reason that someone may think she didn't get in on her own merit. The daughter of a physician and professor should have no problem competing on a level playing field. But the son of a single teenaged mom, may have the minerals for that tier-1 college, but not all the opportunities.

However, in many cases SES can be linked to race. So if the kid had potential in other areas, did research, but didn't do well on his MCAT's because he couldn't afford a review course it can be taken into account.

But to ask the question- if that minority kid with the lower score, gets in and does well, what does that mean about the testing process?
I agree it should be about socioeconomics than race. The notion that the child of wealthy black parents in DC is somehow more disadvantaged than a poor white in Baltimore is absurd.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:53 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually yes. Just look at lawsuits brought up against the cops and firemen.
Civil Service tests have been changed when too many minorities fail them and in some cases dropped so they can hire a "diverse" set of employees.

Yes, it's ok to be subpar because we've lowered the bar for you and treat you special.
Again, Texan, I actually agree with you on civil service exam. Outside of the math (which you should've mastered by 7th grade) if you can read, you can prep for the exam.

But a kid (black, white, whatever) who's gone as far as he could on his own talent, that is just 'there' should be afforded the opportunity to get into college, if they've shown in other areas that they can excel- Again we're talking about kids who are just shy of the standards, not the baskeball prodigy that can't count to ten (they'll get in regardless- black, white or whatever)

Old 09-25-2011, 12:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Again, Texan, I actually agree with you on civil service exam. Outside of the math (which you should've mastered by 7th grade) if you can read, you can prep for the exam.

But a kid (black, white, whatever) who's gone as far as he could on his own talent, that is just 'there' should be afforded the opportunity to get into college, if they've shown in other areas that they can excel- Again we're talking about kids who are just shy of the standards, not the baskeball prodigy that can't count to ten (they'll get in regardless- black, white or whatever)
Community colleges take everyone (with a HS diploma).
Do your 2 years there and transfer to a 4 year.
Your final degree is from the University and that's what counts.

That's what I did for financial reasons and went on to get a good job.

Not everyone has to go to prestigious, outrageously expensive schools.
And if you do then be smart about it..do 2 years at a CC, get a high GPA and transfer in as a junior to complete your major.
Most who cannot cut it have dropped by the end of their 2nd year.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
I don't get this.

Taxes are graduated based on income and thus SES.

I don't think it's about beating out the middle class (which is a very enigmatic term today) but more about telling a kid he's not d!cked at birth.
Who tells their kid that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies