Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Of course the way around it is to buy peaches and other fruits grown in the USA at your local farmers' market and can them yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 09:13 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times
I NEVER eat anything from China. One thing that I am noticing is that many of those cheap, little Halloween candies are "Made In China." I don't want to write China off or be unfair by completely not trusting any food from China, but they have given me no choice.

Things I don't eat from China: Candy, wasabi-covered peas, any fish from the grocery store, and anything else that says it is from China.

It makes me wonder why more farmers wouldn't want to start their OWN "Farm-Raised" tilapia, grouper, etc. here in the United States. Is it really more beneficial for a large grocery store to import from China? You'd think that we'd be a little more concerned with keeping the business here, but I know that that is easier-said-than-done.

Also, it bothers me that companies can print "Distributed By:" on their labels, but don't have to put where it is actually from. I mean, yeah, we know it was Distributed By your company, but where was this product made? Which country, which environment was it from? Which factory or plant was it produced in? It makes me skeptical when it says only who distributes it. I do believe in protecting the industries (not just big businesses) in the United States (I freaking live here, I'd like things to be better), so I do get pretty disappointed.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:19 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
A little cheaper but grown with sewage water for irrigation, grown on farms that are not regulated to the same safety standards, and sucking in far more pollution in the air.
That is exactly what I think about. I have seen the farms in China where the tilapia Americans eat comes from. You got someone who has their small farms that are overpopulated with the fish and they also give their growth stimulants. Nice cocktail.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I NEVER eat anything from China. One thing that I am noticing is that many of those cheap, little Halloween candies are "Made In China." I don't want to write China off or be unfair by completely not trusting any food from China, but they have given me no choice.

Things I don't eat from China: Candy, wasabi-covered peas, any fish from the grocery store, and anything else that says it is from China.

It makes me wonder why more farmers wouldn't want to start their OWN "Farm-Raised" tilapia, grouper, etc. here in the United States. Is it really more beneficial for a large grocery store to import from China? You'd think that we'd be a little more concerned with keeping the business here, but I know that that is easier-said-than-done.

Also, it bothers me that companies can print "Distributed By:" on their labels, but don't have to put where it is actually from. I mean, yeah, we know it was Distributed By your company, but where was this product made? Which country, which environment was it from? Which factory or plant was it produced in? It makes me skeptical when it says only who distributes it. I do believe in protecting the industries (not just big businesses) in the United States (I freaking live here, I'd like things to be better), so I do get pretty disappointed.
Government regulation on processing, packaging, labor, etc... are why you do not see more food processing done here in the USA.

There is no reason in the world we should not be processing our own foods here, if nothing else, as a matter of food security. USDA/FDA raid raw food coops but fail to inspect container loads of food (human and animal alike) coming in from China that contains melamine.

Keep believing the government is here to protect you. Do not look at the man behind the curtain.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 09-25-2011 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Government regulation on processing, packaging, labor, etc... are why you do not see more food processing done here in the USA.

There is no reason in the world we should not be processing our own ffods here, if nothing else, as a matter of food security. USDA/FDA raid raw food coops but fail to inspect container loads of food (human and animal alike) coming in from China that contains melamine.

Keep believing the government is here to protect you. Do not look at the man behind the curtain.
100% Truth!

(oh wait, umm....did I just agree with lifelongMOgal?)

Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
And a lot of our apple juice now comes from China.

Just curious - why "no" to pine nuts?

Old 09-25-2011, 09:34 PM

769 posts, read 1,013,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Very few people read labels. They are more concerned with "the lowest price".
that is true, and i guess it is cheaper to go overseas

Old 09-25-2011, 10:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times
I have no problem buying somethings from China, but NOT food. No way, no how. Check everything for "product of" labels - most canned mushrooms, for instances, are product of China, as is A LOT of frozen fish. People can cry racism or protectionism all they want, but with the number of food safety scandals that have come out of China in the past few years, as well as their weakly enforced regulations, product of China doesn't pass my lips.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:52 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
And a lot of our apple juice now comes from China.

Just curious - why "no" to pine nuts?
Pine nuts also come from China.

I don't care where the distributor is, if the label does not name the country of origin - which better not be China - I do not buy it.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:03 AM

26 posts, read 92,314 times
If people knew the truth about the low quality that China has they would never buy any food from there. I heard on NPR that the food inspectors...only can check like 2% of food products coming over here from China. Of that 2% more than 50% is sent back because it is not up to our standards or has things in it that can make us sick.
For example...China use car/truck engines to dry tea leaves so all that exhaust is in their tea leaves that come over here...might as well sit out on freeway all day drinking tea from China. Remember Baby formula that had poison in it?...that is very typical! Same with Dog food...never buy dog food from china they put poisons that may taste great to your dog but will kill or create cancer over time.
So yes people should read labels...
BUT! talk about being patriotic....companies that are out sourcing to other countries rather than hire American Workers are not being Patriotic. That is not good for America....just making the middle class disappear and people lose their homes.
So look at labels and buy American made...even Canada or Mexico is better than China made items.
I did hear that Chinese want now American made items....so hopefully that will make companies want their business so they will use American workers.
But to ship peaches all the way to China than back and that is supposedly cheaper than canning them here.....i live by canning sites and most of the workers in them are Mexican and poor Americans...so not like they have unions and are demanding high wages...makes me mad how unamerican our companies have become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies