Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:09 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Aww, but the point you are missing is the fact that the one poster claims that walmart purchases junk from china. and my point is they purchase and sell the same items that many small stores sell. So, that means those same products are being purchased from the same place no matter who is selling it.
Many but not all, that is the key. The mom-and-pop chains, at least where I am, can't compete on price with the box stores so they focus on quality. We have had TWO building supply box stores move in in the past five years (HD and Lowes) to a town with a population of 12,000. I thought this would kill off a small regional chain hardware store along with the couple of ACE, not to mention the specialty flooring etc but it has had the opposite effect.

If the smaller store sells the same crap then if they can't compete on price, al that is left is convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Guess what????? Boeing is outsourcing the parts of all their new airplanes. China is the major parts producer. This must mean Boeing airplanes are junk and crap. This means you must boycott Boeing and all their airplanes!!!!!! Eeeeeeek,
I am aware of that and in fact I do have my concerns about Boeing aircraft. I should qualify that however and mention that QA requirements for aircraft are FAR mroe stringent than for consumer appliances, power tools etc. It's a whole 'nother level of regulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 08:10 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Aww, but the point you are missing is the fact that the one poster claims that walmart purchases junk from china. and my point is they purchase and sell the same items that many small stores sell. So, that means those same products are being purchased from the same place no matter who is selling it.
Maybe......

However, if you buy a pump and tank from me it will be the best you can buy.

Although sadly, not made in the US.

You see, manufacturers buy different quality, even from China.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:17 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
I find these days I am more and more fed up with price gauging, the cheapening of products, smaller amounts, lack of service and what I feel is a lack of corporate and government honesty. I find I have thoughts of and make statements of boycott more often then wanting to support these days.

For instance, here in NJ gas is sold cash or credit with a much higher price for credit, so I always pay with a 100.00 dollar bill. I think Walmart is terrible in the long run for our country, destroying small business and the Sams division is a joke "buy bulk at a higher price". Where is the unit pricing stickers that other retailers have too have? So yes I boycott Walmart.

How do you feel? What deserves support or how would you boycott a corporation or service fee increase?
Depends on the issue. I would stay away from (boycott, I guess?) a company I disliked and/or disagreed with. And would support companies I like and/or agree with.

I find it so funny when people "hate" stores like Walmart. To just "decide" that they are worse than a local business is nuts. In small communities, Walmart provides far more jobs than a small business. Unless you're the owner, you probably don't make much money to work at the mom and pop. And the fact is, I go where the service, quality and cost are better. That's not always the small business. If it is, I'll shop there. For years, a small local hardware store complained when Home Depot opened up. Eventually they went out of business. But their service was horrible, their prices almost twice HD, and they never had products in stock. They very vocally blamed the big box store, but the reality was they had skated by on being the only game in town. Consumers were finally glad to have a choice.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:18 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Maybe......

However, if you buy a pump and tank from me it will be the best you can buy.

Although sadly, not made in the US.

You see, manufacturers buy different quality, even from China.
yes I agree, and I do understand what you are saying, but if people are willing to pay the cheaper prices and places like walmart make millions from it, how is walmart in the wrong?

Just like if you buy a telephone system from me, you will purchase the #1 selling and best quality phone system in the world, and it also is not made in the US. you also though will not get it cheap because the quality costs money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies