Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:25 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think its really silly for people to fly the confederate flag and claim "heritage". Everyone (including them) knows its a symbol of hatred and that while they may have the "right" to fly it, it doesnt make it "right" to do so. You dont see a lot of Germans flying the Nazi flag and claiming "its part of my heritage" do you? If you do see someone flying it, they are doing so to announce their hatred towards a certain group of people, just the same as those who originally flew the flag.

The "its part of my heritage" argument is just looney.
I think its really silly for people to think the way you do. But I guess in some ways you are right, it is our disdain for Democrats that made us decide to fly the confederate flag. and of course we are not from the south
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 12:27 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Naturally I'm the guy to ask. I mean, my opinion is gold, right? Here it goes...

Anyone can fly pretty much any flag they want. I suppose a flag with human nudity might be pushing it, but other than that, we do have freedom of speech. The thing is, some people who do not feel ancestral kinship with the Confederacy might well look at the Confederate flag in a manner others might have for the Nazi flag. Such a view is not horribly out-of-bounds since the Confederacy was trying to hold on to slavery. So displaying the Confederate flag is okay, i.e. legal, but one should expect an element of negative feedback.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:32 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I think its really silly for people to think the way you do. But I guess in some ways you are right, it is our disdain for Democrats that made us decide to fly the confederate flag. and of course we are not from the south
If I remember my history correctly, those who originally flew the confederate flag were against Republican president Lincoln were'nt they?

Anyway, Just as I mentioned before, those who fly it do so to advertise that they have the same feelings and beliefs as those who originally flew it. And you know what ,I betcha there is a LARGE percentage of those who fly the Confed flag who also happen to own a few nazi/swastika flags garments as well.

You know why people in Germany dont fly the Nazi flag? Its because its a symbol of hatred just like the confederate flag is. Its part of their "heritage" but they are ashamed of it and completely disagree with what it stands for.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
If I remember my history correctly, those who originally flew the confederate flag were against Republican president Lincoln were'nt they?

Anyway, Just as I mentioned before, those who fly it do so to advertise that they have the same feelings and beliefs as those who originally flew it. And you know what ,I betcha there is a LARGE percentage of those who fly the Confed flag who also happen to own a few nazi/swastika flags garments as well.

You know why people in Germany dont fly the Nazi flag? Its because its a symbol of hatred just like the confederate flag is. Its part of their "heritage" but they are ashamed of it and completely disagree with what it stands for.
This is where you show your ignorance though. the flag was not a symbol of hatred. and since my wife and I fly ours in disdain against people voting in a president based on the color of his skin, that means what?

Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/Icon-Fist.png/150px-Icon-Fist.png (broken link)

Old 09-26-2011, 12:53 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
and since my wife and I fly ours in disdain against people voting in a president based on the color of his skin, that means what?
LOL. Im still trying to figure out how/why you can make a connection between the President, the American public who voted him in, and the Confederate flag.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:54 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
who cares if she flies the flag.. fly it all she wants. heck we put up a confederate flag the day after Obama was elected.
wait a minute....you are black correct?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
wait a minute....you are black correct?
Yes we are black. But we also are intelligent enough to know that the confederate flag did not stand for slavery, or racism. The civil war was not about racism or slavery. it was about money and states rights.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
LOL. Im still trying to figure out how/why you can make a connection between the President, the American public who voted him in, and the Confederate flag.
The civil war was about money and states rights. that is how we can make the connection.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:06 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Anyone can fly pretty much any flag they want. I suppose a flag with human nudity might be pushing it, but other than that, we do have freedom of speech. The thing is, some people who do not feel ancestral kinship with the Confederacy might well look at the Confederate flag in a manner others might have for the Nazi flag. Such a view is not horribly out-of-bounds since the Confederacy was trying to hold on to slavery. So displaying the Confederate flag is okay, i.e. legal, but one should expect an element of negative feedback.
Sums it up. I don't think that everybody who flies the confederate flag is a racist, and I think sometimes people are too quick to jump to conclusions, but if you hang it up you should expect some criticism and there is some validity to it IMO.

I wouldn't say it's equivalent to flying the Nazi flag, but it is the same concept to a lesser extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies