Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times

Advertisements

Won't lie, I call things ghetto on a fairly regular basis. White trash and ghetto are two deragatory words that do come out of my mouth at times. Quite a few of my family members quite firmly fit the white trash label, which is probably why I have such a backlash against that culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
most people that use the term ghetto wouldnt know what ghetto was if it hit them upside their head.
Ironically, 'ghetto' does have a tendency to hit people upside their heads. Ghetto usually implies an atmosphere of violence or hostility.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:45 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
That obviously was her opinion, for whatever reason she made have had. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter if they are friends and we agree or disagree.
Some people besides your friend just do not think before they speak, and some people just don't use common sense.
She must have her reasons, this might be a good time, to ask your friend while she feels the way she does. And how can she be a friend to all of you, and yet you do not know that she felt this way.

I hear worse then that by our younger folks when i am out. Words can be really hurtful, and all it takes is being respectful to those around you, and don't do to others what you do not want said or done to you.

I have heard the word ghetto, being used to describe, people, areas, or a business such as a resturant, or club.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:47 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
This past weekend about 6 of my female friends went to NYC for a much needed girls’ weekend out. One night, we were on the VIP list for a club and we were all ready to go. As assumed, we'd have to wait in line for a while, also, as assumed. 15 minutes goes by and my impatient friend starts complaining about the line, the people the atmosphere, etc.

At the very moment a large group of black girls walked by behind her, my friend loudly complained, "I really don't want to be here, this place is disgusting and ghetto". The 5 of the other girls' jaw dropped. It was the most embarrassing moment to hear her say that. I was appalled by her actions and told her to shut up.

The black girls in the group stopped in their tracks and got in her face calling her hair nasty and ghetto along with her outfit. Ultimately, all the other people in the line kicked all of us out and taunted us while we walked away.

My friend's only excuse why she used the word ghetto was because she "wasn't being racist but descriptive". She was very upset and cried that none of us supported her and didn't see things from her angle.

Am I wrong by this? Should I have not been so upset? How do you feel about people sayings things are ghetto. I think its incredibly rude, disgusting narrow minded and embarrassing that I know her. What would you do in this situation?
I use ghetto to define things that are, well, lower class. Nothing to do with race. Of course, you getting so wound up over a word makes me wonder if the issue doesn't have more to do with you than a word your friend used.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:17 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
This thread is such a clear case of fishing. You want us all to tell you how rude and trashy your friend is and how obviously enlightened and sophisticated you are in comparison. You know what's ghetto? Trying to make youself feel better by looking down on other people. And given the fact that she's supposedly your friend, you only make yourself look worse in this case.
Pretty funny your convoluted idea of reality.

So it's OK for her friend to demean a group of people she doesn't even know. It's OK for her friend to use a potentially explosive racially charged word.

Yet according to you the young woman that posted the question is ghetto, because she abhors the use of demeaning confrontational labels...

The op is wrong in being offended and embarrassed by her friend's boorish behavior, yet according to you that should be over looked because it's her "friend".

Actually she doesn't make herself look "worse" in this instance, she makes herself look like a respectful mature woman who doesn't walk around labeling people she doesn't know and have had no negative contact with as "ghetto".

Old 09-26-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Pretty funny your convoluted idea of reality.

So it's OK for her friend to demean a group of people she doesn't even know. It's OK for her friend to use a potentially explosive racially charged word.

Yet according to you the young woman that posted the question is ghetto, because she abhors the use of demeaning confrontational labels...

The op is wrong in being offended and embarrassed by her friend's boorish behavior, yet according to you that should be over looked because it's her "friend".

Actually she doesn't make herself look "worse" in this instance, she makes herself look like a respectful mature woman who doesn't walk around labeling people she doesn't know and have had no negative contact with as "ghetto".
So before the incident, calling them ghetto was not okay, but now that it's been confirmed, calling them ghetto is okay? Looks like the friend called it right. She should be lucky to have such a perceptive friend, who knows what might have happened inside the club. Gotta call it like it is, broski.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:24 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheLine View Post
If black girls really got in her face and taunted her than I tend to agree that the place was "ghetto"... And did that club play rap music? If so that's a other sigh that its ghetto. I hear black people say ghetto all the time so the term is not racist Do you think people would have had the same reaction if you friend was black and called it ghetto? If not than that doubled standard is the only racist thing about your story
Listening to this b.s. can get a person killed!!!

SOME black people walk around calling each other "*****", so just to exercise your right to free speech you are going to walk into a crowd of black people and call them a "*****" too.

Make it easy for the police and bring your own chalk, so they can trace the outline where your body fell.

Actually it's not ghetto if the black girls got into the loudmouth's face after she insulted them without any provocation.

If I were standing in the line to get into a country western bar, how stupid would it be of me to proclaim, this place is nothing but a place full of dumb, filthy, **** kickers.

Yep, I would expect the ass whooping I would receive.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Listening to this b.s. can get a person killed!!!

SOME black people walk around calling each other "*****", so just to exercise your right to free speech you are going to walk into a crowd of black people and call them a "*****" too.

Make it easy for the police and bring your own chalk, so they can trace the outline where your body fell.

Actually it's not ghetto if the black girls got into the loudmouth's face after she insulted them without any provocation.

If I were standing in the line to get into a country western bar, how stupid would it be of me to proclaim, this place is nothing but a place full of dumb, filthy, **** kickers.

Yep, I would expect the ass whooping I would receive.
Your problem is that you've attached a racial connotation to a word that many people do not attach a racial connotation to.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:28 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Sounds like a classy place that attracts upscale VIP types like your trash-talking friend and whoever else was getting in her face for talking trash. I've never been to a nightclub where women get into scuffles on the sidewalk. What kind of people does this place attract? And then the crowd taunted you on top of it? What a dump. Who wants, uh, "VIP" passes to a ****hole like that, where "VIP" pass holders tangle with other women on the street?

So here's what I'd do: Leave Mizzzzz Diarrhea Of The Mouth behind next time, lesson learned. And skip the shady nightclubs too. If you can't get into the nice ones where people aren't tangling in the street (if there is such a thing), stay home.

hehehehe
this whole thread has had me rolling with laughter, and I love this answer!
I am still laughing about the "trailer trash" post, LOL
I am from Georgia and if she used that term in some parts of Georgia they would have just kicked her butt, or the term "cracker" there is another great one!
this is just so funny, some folks really need to lighten up!!
I am not the words some folks might call me and if people can not see that, then they need to get a life!
some call me racist because I can not stand Obama, do I give a rats ass
no, because it is not true, so it means nothing~~
get a grip, and go some where with some class next time!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:30 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
The girl was just scared. There's nothing wrong with that. Boston is quite a bit smaller than NYC and the city can be intimidating if you don't know where you are and you don't know what kind of situation you are getting yourself into. Tute, it sounds like your friend actually has a good head on her shoulders in knowing what doesn't feel right. Who cares how she expressed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies