Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
If a comma and a semi-colon can overwhelm your reading comprehension abilities, you have more problems than punctuation can explain.

Maybe you should slow down and read slowly, then you won't be confused enough to connect separate posts.
Sorry, chief, that was a poorly written sentence. Put it this way: the only thing that overwhelms my reading comprehension is ghetto grammar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:50 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Non-ghetto types would have not gotten into it and throw back insults.

Also who started referring to tacky places, clothes, hair as "ghetto" in the first place? It wouldn't surprise me if it was blacks themselves that invented the use of that word as an adjective. Sort of a replacement for "slumming".

I don't see the racial connotation, it's just a word that's become overused and means something similar to "trashy" and when someone says "trashy" is that an insult to whites?

I think the girls might have assumed the insult was leveled at them when it wasn't. But maybe the girls didn't have the look of educated well-dressed more elegant types and the insult wasn't hurled at them but was somewhat about them?
Obviously you didn't read the o.p. The loudmouth cloths and hair were called ghetto after she rendered her judgement call on evryone else.

If you live in an alternate universe where you believe your last paragraph, so be it.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:51 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Who are you to say what her friend intended?

The intent of the friend dictates whether or not it was a racist comment, not your personal definition of the word.
I never mentioned intention. What I said was that her friend made an assumption about a group of people prior to any interaction or behavior. If you are going to make an assumption based on someone devoid of behavior, what other possible criteria can you have besides the way they look?

Quote:
Sorry, chief, that was a poorly written sentence. Put it this way: the only thing that overwhelms my reading comprehension is ghetto grammar.
Your grammar could use some polishing. How does the saying go, pot calling kettle.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
And your ignorance of the fact that the label "ghetto" has a racial connotation.

Don't get made because you can't follow the posts.

If you want to harp on punctuation because you can't keep up, that's not ghetto, that's ignorant.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I never mentioned intention. What I said was that her friend made an assumption about a group of people prior to any interaction or behavior. If you are going to make an assumption based on someone devoid of behavior, what other possible criteria can you have besides the way they look?
How do you know it was devoid of behavior? And how do you know that the only way they looked was black? Am I to believe that everyone that night was naked? Well, maybe that's why her friend called them ghetto... I'm assuming they were wearing clothes.

It ain't hard to tell apart people who are well dressed, and people who dress ghetto.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
And your ignorance of the fact that the lable "ghetto" has a racial connotation.

Don't get made because you can't follow the posts.

If you want to harp on punctuation because you can't keep up, that's not ghetto, that's ignorant.
Made? Why would I get made? I'm already made.

Listen, buddy, your premise is just as flawed as your poorly constructed sentences, give it a rest.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:56 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
How do you know it was devoid of behavior?
I read the OP. Her friend who was with her was convinced that the comment was not motivated by behavior, otherwise she would have mentioned it.

Bottom line, if your own friends are accusing you of being a racist or racially insensitive, you probably are.

Quote:
It's pretty obvious it was a typo. At least to someone smarter than the average bear.

Quote:
Listen, buddy, your premise is just as flawed as your poorly constructed sentences, give it a rest.
Oh the irony. To quote the senile Ronald Reagan, "there you go again."

Old 09-27-2011, 12:56 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,418 times
Quote:
Who are you to say what her friend intended?

My friend's only excuse why she used the word ghetto was because she "wasn't being racist but descriptive". She was very upset and cried that none of us supported her and didn't see things from her angle.

The intent of the friend dictates whether or not it was a racist comment, not your personal definition of the word. I might add that the only people whose race was identified were the 5 girls, not everyone in the crowd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
At the very moment a large group of black girls walked by behind her, my friend loudly complained, "I really don't want to be here, this place is disgusting and ghetto". The 5 of the other girls' jaw dropped. It was the most embarrassing moment to hear her say that. I was appalled by her actions and told her to shut up.
Read the OP people. This girl was not necessarily referring to the black girls as ghetto, nor saying it because they were black. She just happened to say it at a moment they were behind her. Freakin drama queens.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I read the OP. Her friend who was with her was convinced that the comment was not motivated by behavior, otherwise she would have mentioned it.

Bottom line, if your own friends are accusing you of being a racist or racially insensitive, you probably are.
Or they're just as ridiculously p.c as some of the people in this thread. I just don't understand, if this term is soooooo racist against blacks, why can I say it around blacks (or anyone, really) just fine, and why do they use it with me just fine? Spare me, the OP is being a drama queen. A tempest in a teapot.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:

Again, you can harp on misspelled word and punctuation. Does that excuse your inability to follow a simple set of posts, seems I may type in some misspelled words, but you still lack the reading ability to comprehend a few posts.

Flawed premise?..yep, anyone so simple minded as not to know that calling someone "ghetto" has a racial connotation is operating with a pretty flawed mind.

Try the Mr. Spock routine somewhere else, it doesn't work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies