Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:16 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
So what does that mean for a guy like me who doesn't really watch TV whether it's FOX news or Bill Maher?
The authority with which you connected thinking with TV watching, which channel you stick with, doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
More importantly, Maher is witty and usually correct in his analysis, while Coulter is neither witty nor funny, and perhaps most importantly, she is never factual. In fact, she is only on television to feed the basest prejudices of conservatives.

Maher, on the hand, lampoons rightwingers and usually hangs them on their own words, excoriating the incredible ignorance of people like Bush, Perry, Bachmann, etc.

There is never a shortage of material. Never. In fact, one hour a week doesnt come close to covering all the comedic possibilities available, even Stewart and Colbert can barely keep up
I refuse to believe that anyone is honestly as biased or as delusional as a person would have to be to believe what you just posted.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:25 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Since when does anyone have to refute a comedian?
No one has to refute anyone. I was making an observation that the Righties cannot offer contra to Maher's opinions, so we read the usual 'commie', 'idiot', 'ignorant', 'stupid', 'low life', etc.
There must a be a reason why the Righties do so.
Maher has pegged them for what they are, and they feel exposed and very uncomfortable about that.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:31 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
No one has to refute anyone. I was making an observation that the Righties cannot offer contra to Maher's opinions, so we read the usual 'commie', 'idiot', 'ignorant', 'stupid', 'low life', etc.
There must a be a reason why the Righties do so.
Maher has pegged them for what they are, and they feel exposed and very uncomfortable about that.
Again, why do "righties" or anyone else need to "offer" opposing opinions to a comedian?

You make no sense whatsoever...

If he were a political commentator I'd agree with you but since Bill Maher himself says he is only a comedian I disagree with you...

Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Maher is a national treasure. Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert and Bill Maher, the Triumvirate of Political Comedy.
>>> Maher is what he is, a misanthrope. Jon Stewart is a little better, he has an army of writers working for him but he can do okay if he's prepared for a debate and has an opponent who agrees to keep it friendly( like Bill Oreilly). His playing devils advocate constantly gets old though.
Colbert is actually the smartest of the lot of them, or used to be. But he's dumbed down his work for the lowest common denominator ( his comedy central audience) so much that he comes across as a clownish hack. I'd like to see him back in his element and free to really show us what he's capable of. He'd no doubt turn off a few of his fans and leave a good many unable to follow his comedy, but he is( or was) a borderline genius. The guy can't be happy having his creativity kept in check but I guess money is money.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:36 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
[quote=Mr. Joshua;21054055]
Quote:

Well the episodes that I have seen commonly do not include a dissenting voice and if they do it is typically one token conservative who pretty much is at a disadvantage in numbers.

On themost recent show he called Fox's Meghan Kelly "a blonde twink". There was a female Democratic rep from CA who berated him for the sexist angle but no one asked him why he would say this about a woman who has done nothing to deserve such disrespect.

In addition, one of the topics included the furor on the right over Gov. Perry's desire to give the children of illegal aliens in-state tuition breaks. But for some reason they said nothing about this and instead made it look like Conservatives are against any education for the children of illegals. Again there was no one there to tell them that they were incorrect. All the while the panelists bask in the glory of the audience's clear ignorance of the facts.

Then there was Michael Moore spouting his lies with no one there to take him to task for what he was saying.
This is not a news show. It is a comedy show. It is not supposed to be fair and balanced. It is supposed to be funny, which most of the time it is. I watched the show that you watched. The episode was not particularly funny, and bit about the blonde twink was not very funny, and did not receive much of a laugh from the audience.

John Avlon was on the show that you mentioned. I don't believe he is a right wing conservative, but he does write for the daily beast which is pretty conservative. Maher's show is antagonistic so can understand why many conservatives would not like it. The Dailey show is not very antagonistic, but conservatives don't like that one either.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I refuse to believe that anyone is honestly as biased or as delusional as a person would have to be to believe what you just posted.
I agree with ODanny.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Just like Dennis Miller who Fox adores, Maher has the right to speak his mind, and yes, he does have a big audience.

That shows you how many idiots we have in this country.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:43 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Bill Maher does not frighten me. Most of the religious right does. This is why I oppose the Republican policies, platforms and candidates. I know I would be prosecuted as a political, Religious and economic heretic in their world.
Ah, Liberal Tolerance, sprinkled with a generous dose of I Know Exactly How Other People Think, and Therefore Feel Free to Lump Everyone Into the Same Group.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Ah, Liberal Tolerance, sprinkled with a generous dose of I Know Exactly How Other People Think, and Therefore Feel Free to Lump Everyone Into the Same Group.
Now really, how is that any different than what you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies