Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,998,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
You'd have to be rather stupid to say that killing people is a good option.
....and your views on abortion are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 11:00 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,159,318 times
Americans like the idea of executing people.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:00 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,187,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Do you guys who support getting rid of the death penalty really believe we should let murderers, rapists and pedophiles live and breath our air?
Believe? Sorry, you mean emotions. What do my emotions tell me? I'm not a *(%%#$ 7 year old so what does it matter? I'm an adult and thus I make my decisions based on emotion. I actually went to school and got educated. I'm not a country bumpkin who failed out of school and lives in a trailer.

What does the data say? Innocent people inevitably get killed. It doesn't reduce crime. It costs more. What kind of moron would support that.

The government isn't good at things. The justice system in the US is very political and bad decisions get made. The government shouldn't be killing citizens.

I feel sorry for you if you make decisions based on emotion. People like you are why the criminal justice system in this country is a mess.

Quote:
Let the ones most deserving of death live and the ones most deserving of life be disposed of?
Awww, that's such a primitive argument. This is like explaining to a child how a nickel is worth less than a dime even though it's bigger. Those that get the death penalty aren't the ones who are the most guilty or have committed the worst crimes. It's sort of cute and sad at the same time that you would think that.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:02 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,315,701 times
Quote:
Believe? Sorry, you mean emotions. What do my emotions tell me? I'm not a *(%%#$ 7 year old so what does it matter? I'm an adult and thus I make my decisions based on emotion. I actually went to school and got educated. I'm not a country bumpkin who failed out of school and lives in a trailer.

What does the data say? Innocent people inevitably get killed. It doesn't reduce crime. It costs more. What kind of moron would support that.

The government isn't good at things. The justice system in the US is very political and bad decisions get made. The government shouldn't be killing citizens.

I feel sorry for you if you make decisions based on emotion. People like you are why the criminal justice system in this country is a mess.
I don't base my decisions on emotion. Yes, there have been innocent people who have been killed and that is a very sad thing. But if people are without a doubt guilty of a murder or rape, why should they live? And FYI I did graduate high school and I don't live in a trailer. I don't know where you got that idea from.

64% of Americans support the death penalty for murderers.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,187,889 times
You honestly expect any legal system to be perfect? That's adorable. Most of the cases that the innocence project get overturned were based on eye witness identification. That's someone pointing and someone and swearing they did it. How exactly do you expect a system to be perfect.

The people that get killed by the government are the ones with the worst attorneys. Not the most guilty. Again, how about you man up, go read about the topic and come back and post. I don't get why so many people in this country are happy to be clueless.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:08 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,746,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
....and your views on abortion are?
Is an embryo or a fetus legally a person? Didn't think so. Stupid analogy.

And it works in reverse. You guys are so pro-life, but so pro-death penalty. Hypocritical.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:09 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,315,701 times
Quote:
You honestly expect any legal system to be perfect? That's adorable. Most of the cases that the innocence project get overturned were based on eye witness identification. That's someone pointing and someone and swearing they did it. How exactly do you expect a system to be perfect.

The people that get killed by the government are the ones with the worst attorneys. Not the most guilty. Again, how about you man up, go read about the topic and come back and post. I don't get why so many people in this country are happy to be clueless.
No, I don't think it's perfect and again you're assuming something about me that isn't true. The legal system isn't perfect and unfortunately it never will be.

But you have your views and I have mine. I don't understand why you have to get so fired up over it. There are millions of other people who agree with you.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:09 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,828,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I don't base my decisions on emotion. Yes, there have been innocent people who have been killed and that is a very sad thing. But if people are without a doubt guilty of a murder or rape, why should they live? And I graduated high school and I don't live in a trailer. I don't where you got that idea from.
We have prisons, and it costs less to keep them in prison for life. Why should you and I kill them?

Humans are fallible - we make mistakes a lot, and even if it happens once, executing people by mistake is not something our society should accept, ever. It would be better that nobody was ever executed in 100 years rather than to have one innocent person be executed.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,746,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
We have prisons, and it costs less to keep them in prison for life. Why should you and I kill them?

Humans are fallible - we make mistakes a lot, and even if it happens once, executing people by mistake is not something our society should accept, ever. It would be better that nobody was ever executed in 100 years rather than to have one innocent person be executed.
And the death penalty doesn't deter crime, since we have the highest incarceration and re-incarceration rate in the world. Europe, has the lowest and a near blanket ban on the death penalty. Even Russia has essentially banned it and Russia is notorious for crime and corruption.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,159,318 times
Executions can be profitable. An audio/video CD could be made of every execution and sold for people to get their kicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies